Your Thoughts On THS Rules For 2012

Kip

The main idea here should be suggestions to help the class not to make the class fit a certain car or cars. If you think everything should stay the same it would nice to hear from you also. There are some areas/ things that need to be cleared up in the rules for sure but they will not affect the performance of the cars any.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion if they are truely trying to help the class. I do ask one thing, in your post please state if you have run THS in the past and if you have every intention to run it in 2012. If you do not have a car that fits the rules or do not even own a car please state that also.

Looking forward to seeing what is said.

Thanks, Kip

I raced in '10 and '11 and plan to in '12

I think the gas tank rule needs to be clarified.

I also think my idea about open rules for cars slower than a time that can be determined can have more of an open rule book.

Raced in THS 09,10,11 and plan to run in 2012. Gas tank needs addressed .We need to look at where we are headed with the class and what can be done to keep the class alive and growing. Lets hear your ideas.I dont have any issues with the rules, if your a mid pack or slower lets hear what you think.
DDay

BG 2011 plan to race THS 2012

Would like to see the Intake rule opened up to any intake manifold. The intake does not offer a performance advantage in a turbo limited class as we have seen over the years. At the minimum remove " External welding, cold epoxy welding or puttying for performance enhancement is not allowed." This is an old rule written when the only intake allowed was the Stock intake. With the aftermarket intakes The rule no longer applies.

All Other rules I think are fine as is

Comment on the Open Rule for slower cars. It has no place in class racing. If you open the door you will not be able to close it. IMO it takes away from the class competing on a given set of rules. If no rules apply to slower cars then should allow any make a model to run. Maybe we can get a 4" bore 012 block Mustang to run.

Raced last two years THS, don't agree with open book for numerous reasons as Lonnie said.
I haven't seen anyone request rules changes but more people asking to leave rules as is.
So I vote to leave rules as is.

By open rule I don't mean let a v8 in. It simply means let a 4x3 67 run, a non AC car, a th400 car, etc...
If the owner wishes to go faster than, say a 10.50, then he or she will have to make the car right.

It does two things:
-Helps car count. I know we had 20 cars at bg, but everyone forgets we had no more than 4-6 cars at the other races. There are many cars oit there that fit this i do beleive.
-Possible help a slower car. Enables racer to run a larger turbo or run below weights. Makes its easier for an 11.0 car to run 10.5's which brings the class closer together in et.

I don't see where this hurts anything. It will let others enjoy the class. After they get a taste of it, then they can move forward with making the car class legal to go faster than whatever time is determined.

Raced last two years THS, don't agree with open book for numerous reasons as Lonnie said.
I haven't seen anyone request rules changes but more people asking to leave rules as is.
So I vote to leave rules as is.

Raced last two years as well, I agree with Clay/Lonnie... I look at it this way...if I had the right parts and ran a 10.6 and was put on the bottom of the ladder by a car with a 400 and 4x3 running 18 pounds of boost...well it might make me salty..... I would vote to leave them alone...rule changes usually mean more $$ for somebody...clarification doesn't hurt, seems like this class has hit a sweet spot for these cars....the edge of reliability and still streetable to a degree.

Kevin, I understand what you want to do and understand why, but feel that mixing true heads up racing and index racing is not right for THS. On the car count thing, I would like to see more cars at the races also and feel we will in 2012. Here is a little of why I say this.

EY revamped his car this year and is up and running ready for next year.
Collin was unemployed and took 2011 off, now has a job and will be back for 2012.
Marty D. Now has a running.
Lonnie worked most ofthe year on his project and should have no problem making races next year. He has openly said he is going to take your money.
Ronnie bought a car and is doing a THS build to it.
Clay A. bought a car and is headed to THS with it
Mike S. spent most of this year in machine shop jail and now is back and running.

The above list is all people you know Kevin, think about the others you do not know about. I had four heads up racers from other class tell me at BG they are racing THS next year.

Take care, Kip

Good points. I was just throwing it out there to see what people thought or if it brought some new interest.

Only rule that needs to REALLY be looked at in my opinion is tranny, how many have broken more then ONCE!!!!

These cars with most combo are making well into 700 hp!!!

I have had the best of the best in a 200 and have spent way more then I should have to keep it gopng when i was in THS.

There are a few, and I know a few, that say there's have lasted, but havent been 10.0's our in the 9's.

All I ask is think about how much YOU have to spend after every race to keep a 200 alive!!!

Allow t350's and t400's , the rest of the rules are GOOD!!!

Have raced in the past and will race again if changed.

JD

JMO

I see it both ways on the transmission rule. First is that you allow a 400 then you are one step closer to tsm.

I got pretty good results out of my stage 2 trans from Lonnie. Don't know the cost because it was in the car when I bought it. It did go 200+ low 10/high 9 passes this summer. The stock input shaft was the only broken part, which just happened last week.
The 400/350 would let more people in, which I am all about though.
If you open it to 400's then you got to let every other GM trans in such as 4l60 and 80.

I personally don't care if the 350/400 are let in. That's my stance.

Lonnie worked most ofthe year on his project and should have no problem making races next year. He has openly said he is going to take your money.

Take care, Kip

You got that right!!!!!!!!!!

I have raced THS the last two years... I say leave the rules the same with no changes.

As far as clarifications I would ask what are the clarifications, what is the target for "clarifying" the rule (what are you trying to prevent), are there cars that currently would be ruled out by these clarifications, does the clarification make the car slow down (meaning that by having something that would now be deemed illegal was a performance enhancer), does the change/clarification add safety to the cars......

I do not see a reason to change or "clarify" a rule unless something is targeted to eliminate......if that is the case why and which car needs this clarification as there has to be a reason it was brought up in the first place.

I see no reason to have a Open rules for slower cars..... that is a can of worms that will cause issues... IMO

I agree with JD on the tranny.... but then again I am good with leaving it with the 200..... not to be one sided.

As far as the gas tank rule.... I have no idea what you are looking for there.... what is the clarification? I took it as you must have stock tank in stock location.....but after re-reading it I see that it could be read another way.....

So what is the clarification you guys are looking for on the gas tank?

As far as the gas tank rule.... I have no idea what you are looking for there.... what is the clarification? I took it as you must have stock tank in stock location.....but after re-reading it I see that it could be read another way.....

So what is the clarification you guys are looking for on the gas tank?

I read the gas tank rule the same way. You must have one. Dont understand the clarification needed. I think they are looking for "stock gas tank required".

Same with E85. Rules states Gasoline only E85 is considered gasoline. But I guess some need to see E85 is ok.

Gas tank rule to me reads that a sump may be used on a stock tank. It does not say anywhere that a stock tank must be in the car. I would like to see it say a stock tank must be there. I can see it possibly being an issue.

Gas tank rule to me reads that a sump may be used on a stock tank. It does not say anywhere that a stock tank must be in the car.
:confused:

Where else would you put the stock tank with the sump that is allowed?

Got to give you some crap KFB. ;)

Gas tank rule to me reads that a sump may be used on a stock tank. It does not say anywhere that a stock tank must be in the car. I would like to see it say a stock tank must be there. I can see it possibly being an issue.

To me it was clear, just as it was to Lonnie and Sean but after being asked about it several times I realized it needs to be worded differently. This year I plan to use the services of one of the biggest "this could mean this or that" guys in THS history to help make things clearer.

Peace, Kip

You got that right!!!!!!!!!!

You sound just like a Marine, it's all about an a$$ kickin. Win or loose...it's gonna be fun:D

Man, sure wish I were closer and not going to Afganastan next year:(

Anyway guys, in 2013 during the next race....I will have a nasty THS car... hope to see you guys then.

In the mean time, this class has come a long way and I'm sure it will grow even bigger no matter the changes made. :cool:

:confused:

Where else would you put the stock tank with the sump that is allowed?

Got to give you some crap KFB. ;)
to me it reads if you got a tank it can be sumped.

The rules say external wastegate doesn't have to be plumbed back in the exhaust....that doesn't mean I am required to have an external wastegate. See where I'm at on that? Anyways it dont matter. Not like we are trying to get the tank thrown out.

to me it reads if you got a tank it can be sumped.

"Factory stock fuel tank with a sump addition is allowed."

Ok I guess.

The rules say external wastegate doesn't have to be plumbed back in the exhaust....that doesn't mean I am required to have an external wastegate. See where I'm at on that?

6. Any wastegate configuration is acceptable

Nope you lost me on that one too.