Your Thoughts On THS Rules For 2012

I don't race this class as my car doesn't fit. Although I don't agree with some of the rules for this class I would say just leave the rules alone. 23 cars in the field shows that something is right with the class.

Bryan

So far, I see one racer that says he will race ths if other transmissions are let in but heard rumors of 2 that would quit. Who else out there will join ths if a trans such as a 350 or 400 is let in?

Then you let in other transmissions, what's next? The 8.5 (I mean a 9" isn't a performance advantage), no AC?

Again, I don't care about the transmission, just need more people to come out there and say one way or the other. I would say a "keep the rules the same" quote would be saying no to other transmissions.

Maybe do a 50 pound wieght penalty for a trans other than a 200? That would be kind of like xtsm. No real performance gain but you are taking a penalty for the durability of the part.

Its not as much of "making other cars fit" as it is "THS is a budget class and building 200r4's cost $3k a pop, whereas a th350 is half that and will last longer." If this is a budget-minded class, let in the people that are on budgets, and can't afford to spend $10k a year on 200r4's, but they can spend $2k on a 350 once a year.

After thinking it over, I'd not run in THS due to the trans rule. I just don't have faith in my 200r4 (no offense Lonnie, I'm sure your 200r4 in my car is stout, but I'm going to grad school and can't take the risk.).

I don't see how the trans being changed will give anyone an advantage.

Its not like going from an 8.5 to a 9" either. Going to a 9" requires more money, and costs more time to make work. 8.5" are cheaper. The 350/400 trans is cheaper, which is why people are asking for them.

Its not the performance gain, perse, its the "I'm a broke student getting his Masters degree and I cant afford to spend my loans on transmissions".

So far, I see one racer that says he will race ths if other transmissions are let in but heard rumors of 2 that would quit. Who else out there will join ths if a trans such as a 350 or 400 is let in?

Then you let in other transmissions, what's next? The 8.5 (I mean a 9" isn't a performance advantage), no AC?

Again, I don't care about the transmission, just need more people to come out there and say one way or the other. I would say a "keep the rules the same" quote would be saying no to other transmissions.

Maybe do a 50 pound wieght penalty for a trans other than a 200? That would be kind of like xtsm. No real performance gain but you are taking a penalty for the durability of the part.

My son would. I would help him get his back together. And the turbo cover would not be hard to get a hold of for him.

Guys, do I need to by you guys a coke and we can sit around the campfire singing kumbaya?
Let's take a deep breath before posting.

Its not as much of "making other cars fit" as it is "THS is a budget class and building 200r4's cost $3k a pop, whereas a th350 is half that and will last longer." If this is a budget-minded class, let in the people that are on budgets, and can't afford to spend $10k a year on 200r4's, but they can spend $2k on a 350 once a year.

After thinking it over, I'd not run in THS due to the trans rule. I just don't have faith in my 200r4 (no offense Lonnie, I'm sure your 200r4 in my car is stout, but I'm going to grad school and can't take the risk.).

I don't see how the trans being changed will give anyone an advantage.

Its not like going from an 8.5 to a 9" either. Going to a 9" requires more money, and costs more time to make work. 8.5" are cheaper. The 350/400 trans is cheaper, which is why people are asking for them.

Its not the performance gain, perse, its the "I'm a broke student getting his Masters degree and I cant afford to spend my loans on transmissions".

No offense taken. If you do run your 200 at a THS race and break it. I will be more than glad to fix it for free. Absolutely would not want student loans spent on a transmission.

Leave the trans rules the same. The intake rule could be changed for 3800 , I would like to see what Lonnie can do with that combo.
DDay

No offense taken. If you do run your 200 at a THS race and break it. I will be more than glad to fix it for free. Absolutely would not want student loans spent on a transmission.

Fix it with the same parts that were in it in the first place?

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I'm getting a MSW- Masters of Social Work. I want to be a councilor or therapist specializing in drug and alcohol abuse. So I'm sure my future clients would appreciate your gesture :D

Fix it with the same parts that were in it in the first place?

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I'm getting a MSW- Masters of Social Work. I want to be a councilor or therapist specializing in drug and alcohol abuse. So I'm sure my future clients would appreciate your gesture :D

Only the good stuff no patches. If you can tear it up show me.

I think the rules discussion wouldn't be discussed if there was 15-20 cars at every event. But when there is 3-5 cars in a field(except for BG) that opens up discussion on what can the class do to bring more cars in. I understand that change can dissapoint some but if it is for the good of the class then so be it. I was allowed to race at oceola this year and really enjoyed it. Off of a pro tree i had a mid 11 sec car with a th350 trans , no a/c and a 61 turbo. Not sure if the trans rule opened up would bring the car count up at the smaller races but i will only go to the Midwest challenge on the day the heads up races are ran. If ths lets me in then ill race, if not i will just test and tune. Hope you guys can make the best decision for the good of the class.

I think the rules discussion wouldn't be discussed if there was 15-20 cars at every event. But when there is 3-5 cars in a field(except for BG) that opens up discussion on what can the class do to bring more cars in. .

It has been mentioned to do things to help the car count at races and I understand this but think everyone needs to remember that THS has always had a great showing when compared to the other heads up classes. For the record there has never been a three car race. When you have a smaller event and the THS cars account for a third of the cars there that is all we can ever hope for. Without those cars the event would be even smaller.
I guess to sum it up: larger event= larger THS turnout.

Take care, Kip

My son would. I would help him get his back together. And the turbo cover would not be hard to get a hold of for him.

Steve, I have two questions for you. What keeps your son from sitching to a 200 trans? If he raced THS what races would he make?

Thanks, Kip

Class centers around 109 and 200r4
Crazy to suggest changing IMO

I'm with Clay on this!

There does need to be clarification on the fuel tank rule. But other than that why would you want to make changes that could be detrimental to the class? The cars that compete in THS have had the participant's time and money spent to comply with the rules. The class thus far has been a success, I'd hate to see a decline in participation due to rules changes every season like the other heads up classes are faced with. Just my $0.02.

Pat

On topic please

Kevin what about this (2 possibilities)
1. Allow TH350/400 with 100lb penalty
2. Allow TH350/400 with no weight penalty with turbo up to and including TE45A / PT66, not allowing the 67 due to tranny rule

either one would be a viable option

Kevin what about this (2 possibilities)
1. Allow TH350/400 with 100lb penalty
2. Allow TH350/400 with no weight penalty with turbo up to and including TE45A / PT66, not allowing the 67 due to tranny rule

Clint,
As for number one: I do not want to have more than two weights to have to deal with a tech/ the scales. Either the trans option will be opened up or it will not.
As for number two: I do not see that a TE45A as any kind of penalty. Looking at the top 7 qualifiers for THS at BG 3 of the cars I know for sure had TE45As and that number might be even higher just saying what I know for sure. Allso keep in mind David Day uses a TE45A and he is not only the winningest car in THS ha also won BG 2 years in a row.

Take care, Kip

Clint,
As for number one: I do not want to have more than two weights to have to deal with a tech/ the scales. Either the trans option will be opened up or it will not.
As for number two: I do not see that a TE45A as any kind of penalty. Looking at the top 7 qualifiers for THS at BG 3 of the cars I know for sure had TE45As and that number might be even higher just saying what I know for sure. Allso keep in mind David Day uses a TE45A and he is not only the winningest car in THS ha also won BG 2 years in a row.

Take care, Kip

What about limiting to a 64mm turbo?

What about limiting to a 64mm turbo?

What is really the core subject is the trans. If the trans rule needs to be opened up then it will be. Not looking to add one thing that then changes other things. When looking at changes everyone has to keep tech in mind also. We had 23 cars done in a timely manor at bg. TSA had 5 cars that took hours, I am not looking to go there. At that pace 23 cars would have taken two days for tech.

I saw the offer Lonnie made you and think that is huge. What races are you looking to attend for 2012?

Thanks, Kip

Ok question for all, does anyone know of a racer who could not make a round of eliminations because of a 200 trans failure in 2011?

Thanks, Kip

FWIW- I'm running a lockup BRF 200 with which had 190,000 miles, so I dropped $600 into it in 2002 and another $600 into in 2003 on a 125mph trapping car. It hasn't been out of the car since then and its running the same Type F fluid since 2005 when I blew the governor spring again...Went 130mph on it's last leg at BG this year...Taking it to a slick tire only rental on the 10th to try to kill it. I'm sure now it will break just pulling out of the garage tomorrow morning for mentioning it's survivability...