You don't need a 6.0

the L33 alum 5.3 in 2005 and newer 4x4's is just plain badass.Good heads,nice thick block take a look on car parts .com lot's of them available in yards for less than a grand you can get a nice low mile unit
I like anything 04 and newer with the same length head bolts 05 and up got the beefier rods the 5.3's got flat top pistons

what i'm asking ,why would anyone use a short stroke,turbo 4.8-5.3 , if they were after more power, when a turbo 6.0 would make more torque with less RPM , and sustained hi-revs could maybe hurt lifters . lifters would last longer!

i have always favored torque over max hp, better for street, and geared properly good for drag racing!,

just asking , for the reasoning, WHY a short stroke is better than long strk., all within reason.

Yes , small could make serious power with hi-boost , but wont last long.
Ron

what i'm asking ,why would anyone use a short stroke,turbo 4.8-5.3 , if they were after more power, when a turbo 6.0 would make more torque with less RPM , and sustained hi-revs could maybe hurt lifters . lifters would last longer!

i have always favored torque over max hp, better for street, and geared properly good for drag racing!,

just asking , for the reasoning, WHY a short stroke is better than long strk., all within reason.

Ron

It totally depends on the turbo you're going to use. If you look at the compressor map for a given turbo, you will see that some work much better with smaller engines. This is especially true for the smaller turbos.

It totally depends on the turbo you're going to use. If you look at the compressor map for a given turbo, you will see that some work much better with smaller engines. This is especially true for the smaller turbos.

Yes, i understand a properly sized turbo for the engine its going onto. air flow for the engine that turbo is going on? it would take more air for the larger displacement,
a more flow compresssor.

so if you sized a proper size turbo to a 6L wouldnt it make more power than a proper size for a 4.8L,, all else being equal, or say both at 15lbs(1 bar), which would make more power, seems obvious?

maybe i'm not saying right,
what i'm asking !

its back to the crankshaft,equal engines , why would the short stroke be better for power over the longer stroke, yes you would have to up the boost to make equal HP, durability may be sacrificed.

WOW!! 450K miles, original plugs, running great!

thats what i call a miracle, for a gas engine!

would the synthetic oil be of help?

would lifters last longer with synthetic oil?

Ron

Ron

because with a turbo motor you make more power higher in the rpm band and a short stroke motor can rev higher bottom line i dont see any other reason why someone would want a shorter stroke unless rod angles were an issue hp is a by-product or torque x rpm with a boosted application you can make serious torque and hp when your hooked up on the track as to too much torque can be imbarrasing cause you do nothing but spin

does make sense, back few yrs, a well known racer ,was runnin SBC twin turb. dominated the class.

for next season went to well built BBC(same car), became so unmanageble,driving, and tried all kinds of things trying to hookup.

went back to SBC, everyone else had caught up in class, said f#!k it ,stopped racing for awhile.

and now we see some 4cyl. class going into the hi-sixes, Yup, turbos have changed the game, in all racing .

for street driving i like displacement!!

OH OH ,has anyone tried a Nitromethane Grand national???

ron

WOW!! 450K miles, original plugs, running great!

thats what i call a miracle, for a gas engine!

would the synthetic oil be of help?

would lifters last longer with synthetic oil?

Ron

count your blessing lifters go first in ls type engine ... just turnt 300k on the 8.1 has lifter noise my ls2 had a bad lifter at 100k miles but i did rev it 8k rpm lol 5.3 with now 140k miles slight lifter noise

count your blessing lifters go first in ls type engine ... my ls2 had a bad lifter at 100k miles but i did rev it 8k rpm lol 5.3 with now 140k miles slight lifter noise

x2

I have had 4 - 5.3's now with lifter noise -- all over 200k, except one at 188k. Lifters seem to be first on the list. The oil changing schedule for the life of the engine plays a big part in the life of these LS lifters I have found.

Just for reference to the poster above that is talking about "a short stroke 4.8/5.3"....

The 4.8 has the short stroke. The 5.3 has a 3.62" stroke which is the same as the 5.7 and 6.0.

Just for reference to the poster above that is talking about "a short stroke 4.8/5.3"....

The 4.8 has the short stroke, 3.27". The 5.3 has a 3.62" stroke which is the same as the 5.7 and 6.0.

My daily driver 2001 Tahoe with a 5.3 and 230k makes some noise on cold start up (but has since 60k when I got it) but makes zero noise afterwards.

question; what is the difference between LS2 lifters and LS6 lifters, like how there made??
ron
Im guessing GM had problems with the ls2 lifters so they quit making them ????
mt ls6 lifters have been setting in oil for awhile let me know if u need a pic i will see if the have a # on them

no problem,dont need the #s.

what i'm asking,is what the roller has for a bearing, like is it roller needles, or a sleeve bearing.

few yrs back GM&Ford was having troubles with some roller lifters on there engines(diesels) , needles breaking up, destroying the cam, and valve train parts.

some of the fixes was a sleeve type steel bushing, with oil hole to it.

the fact is Cummins was using that design back in the 40s.

thats why i asked has anyone ever taken an LS roller lifter apart, to see how its made, not the hydraulic part(thats foolproof), but the roller axle parts?