You don't need a 6.0

LSJM1

Anybody see the 4.8 twin 76 turbo making 1200 hp at 26 psi?
Short stroke 4.8 is just plain bad ass for boost
A lot of people are catching on to 4.8-5.3 stock internals holding up better to big boost
317 6.0 heads on a 5.3 will give you 8.5 compression
I'm going to set up my LQ9 with twin chiinneezzz GT45 turbos E-85 But will be switching to a 4.8 down the road

What model years of donors offered the best 4.8 and 5.3 drivelines with better automatics? I was thinking of a full driveline swap from a truck with a 6.0/4l80e and then put a smaller displacement in when I get all the bugs worked out. That way, the trans and computer will be setup for more power. Any thoughts?

im thinking a 4.8-5.3 would be killer for boost with the added cylinder thickness. thats why i got one ;o)

It's in this months hot rod magazine they thought they had a 5.3 but found out it was a 4.8 which all 4.8's have flat top pistons flat tops did'nt come in 5.3's untill 2007
4.8 and 5.3 are the same block with the same bore size
4.8 has a 3.28 stroke,6.4" rod ,3.77 bore
5.3 has 3.625 stroke,6.125" rod, 3.77 bore

Chuck too many beers on the weekend lead to too many big ideas
My LQ9 is staying right where it is I'm just switching from carb to fuel injection I will give you a call soon I still have to get a 99-02 truck harness and a 411 PCM I have a set of the white bosch 36lb injectors I'll be using I have to get this thing back up and running in a few weeks I miss driving it allready

I found a yard in west georgia that I saw at least 8 LS motors stacked up sitting under a tree that he calls his core pile I'm going back soon to sort through them and might be getting a few 5.3's and hopefully a 4.8 to start on some new projects

I'm going to be posting a project soon using this crusty old 5.7 LS1 engine. Plan is to add a cheap used 80mm turbo and get it into the high 9s in a T-top grand national.

514e1767f5a7c02.jpg

1200 HP Dreams

Ya know I've thought about it. But the money involved in a project like that just isnt there for me right now. I bought that issue of Hot Rod magazine, just for that article, but when you add it all up it can be pricey. It might be something I would consider doing in a cutlass or grand prix though, if I had a roller or a good candidate with a stout driveleine in place. Here is what I have shopped out analyzing the cost. Keep in mind though I have no real world experience, just looking at websites.

5.3L engine, wiring harness and ECM $400 local
Rebuild ring and gasket kit $200
ARP stud kit $100
CXRacing turbos 76 mm $600 each or $1200
XFI $1800
JBA Shorty headers $430
Comp Cam XR281 $400
Wastegate $500
Intercooler $600
LSXr 102 intake $750
102 Throttle body $400
Fab work and exhaust $500???
Head porting the 317 or stock heads $750

Thats already over $8000 with just the minimum and using cheap turbos. Then I dont have a transmission that will hold 1200 horsepower. That'll be another 1500 or so at a minimum going to a TH400 and I lose overdrive. Gonna need a different shifter as well.

Fuel system, I dont even know what I would need to support 1200 HP, but I bet you it aint gonna be cheap.

Rear end, I currently have a 30 Spline eaton carrier and 30 spline moser axles, but it would also require a serious upgrade to handle that sort of power.

So really you are looking at an optimistic $12,000 for that 1200 HP. $10 per HP is that a good value? The thought of running low 8's is appealing, but then you have to have a car with a serious cage as well, to run it at the track.

A more realistic and optimistic number might be $18,000 by the time you add it all up. This is considering forged pistons, cage upgraded and dyno sessions.

If I had lots of money saved up and didnt have any responsibility to my family, I could justify that from my paycheck, wish I could, but I can't.

PLan on spending close to $15000 if you want a RELIABLE turbo LS in your car...the hot side alone is gonna cost around $1300 if you cant fabiracte anything and a full 3" exhaust is gonna be another $500-700. plus the swap kit, a standalone wiring harness (makes things MUCH easier), new sensors and gaskets, little nickle and dime stuff adds up quick. Ive got about $35,000.00 in my project with trial and error stuff and nickel and dime stuff, and Im tearing it down AGAIN.

I sold my 6.0 and bought a 04 5.3 with 80k miles for $100 of of craigs list.It had 2 dead lifters because the guy never changed the oil.Pulling it apart I was shocked to find the crank,bearings,bores to be in perfect condition.It took 4 cans of gunk and a couple hours to get it all cleaned up. I have the top rings opened to .028,ported the oil pump and shimmed the relief spring,LS2 timing set,stock ls1 vette cam,pac 918 springs,home ported heads,ls9 head gaskets,ARP head and rod bolts

I also scored a 02 truck harness and 411 pcm for $100 I took my time and modified it myself,not as hard as I though it would be

Lemme school you guys a lil bit ive been researchin know a few things based on experience...the ls motors are durable as hell i have two chevy 2500 express vans 1 2006 1 2007 the 06 is a 4.8 and the 07 is a 6.0...They both have just over 450,000 miles on them i bought them both new and they have been on amzoil synthetic CHANGED EVERY 25,000 MILES:eek: with the amzoil filter since new.. Both have the ORIGINAL SPARKPLUGS in them !!!! :eek: Iridum plugs FTW!!! After 200,000 i was scared to try and remove them for fear of them being seized in the holes!!! I been using them to run expedited freight before i got into car hauling...The most common failure on these motors is the lifters falling apart.. The 4.8 is starting to get a lifter tick but its also the truck that has had a few drivers in it and fluids werent always topped of as they should be :mad: The 6.0 runs like a sewing machine but that was the one that i personally put all the miles on ...Both have had waterpumps and alternators go bad...the waterpumps were still under warranty on both when they went the first time...The 4.8 and 6.0 are the only engines available in a 2500 cargo van and both are backed by 4l80e transmissions...The 4l80 is a electronic turbo 400 with overdrive it can easily be built to stand the power and it accepts standard 400 performance parts from what ive been told by the couple trans builders ive asked.... The 5.3 wasnt used in 2500 trucks because it lacked the torque from what ive been told...so if you find the right donor vehicle you can get the harness engine and trans all in one shot on the cheap....If you dont beleive me i dont care im sharing for the benefit of those that listen and want to come out ahead HTH...:cool:

the L33 alum 5.3 in 2005 and newer 4x4's is just plain badass.Good heads,nice thick block take a look on car parts .com lot's of them available in yards for less than a grand you can get a nice low mile unit
I like anything 04 and newer with the same length head bolts 05 and up got the beefier rods the 5.3's got flat top pistons