Would like your opinion on a new exhaust cutout prototype.

Last open vs closed, with the "Y" type dump, that we did on the stage car = 3+WHP. The system was a Grand Bending 2.75" dual w/ Dynomax muffs.The DP was a 3.5".
I would look at extending the cutout to a point at/near the rocker panel. May help w/ straightening the flow, and make use of what venturi effect it may gain...ALA, pipes and clay on cyl heads on the flow bench.
Chuck, Given that your a staff member here, i will highly assume your car was pretty well setup/tuned. I know that carbureted/injected cars sometimes need to be fine tuned to get the benefit of the additional exhaust flow from a design like ours. My friend runs a 347 stroker in a Ford Pinto wagon and with just the old traditional Y pipe uncapped gained 2 to 3 tenths and about 3 mph, which tells me he was at least running rich and his exhaust was somewhat restrictive.

Another question, How nasty is the exhaust coming from the down pipe. In either stock, mild or extremely modded cars. Is there a real danger of flames damaging the vehicle? could you just route (point) the down pipe toward a metal suspension area for track time only? I have never ran a turbo except my stock Turbo T/A, so I am new to this.
It's a lot worse with a 2-step.

Thanks for all the replies. This is what we are seeking, input both positive and negative! It helps with our decisions. The venturi effect is interesting. It seems like a header collector extension would give that effect. We felt this could be done by positioning the cutout at the classic 18" ish point past the end of the header, to give the best torque. We just felt that the compactness of this design would be the best all around way to go.

If built, we want to keep the cost reasonable so folks can try them and experiment with them. We feel that there is a market for them with those who want to win the loud exhaust competition:) The peeps that want to run around for the day uncorked, The racers, both drag and road race, etc. Lastly I believe many rides that have cats, especially stock cats, can run the track insert open as the cats cut the sound down. I installed one right after the cat, on my wife's stock 2003, 4.7 litre Lexus suv (yes I know, shameful). With the track insert in driving around normally, it just sounded like an aggressive cat back. When you stomped it and got into the sweet spot it sounded really nice! Some people thought I had supercharged it.

Wouldn't it be worth a few hundred bucks of dyno time to test your cut out and have data to back up your hypothesis? It seems like a nice piece, but until I see #s it is just a novel idea.

Wouldn't it be worth a few hundred bucks of dyno time to test your cut out and have data to back up your hypothesis? It seems like a nice piece, but until I see #s it is just a novel idea.
I understand Brandon and we may well do that. We just feel like it just makes sense that getting the exhaust out as quickly as possible, while keeping the velocity up, and with the least amount of turbulence and restrictions is going to give the most performance. Again, I have never seen a drag car running an exhaust system unless it was required;)

I understand Brandon and we may well do that. We just feel like it just makes sense that getting the exhaust out as quickly as possible, while keeping the velocity up, and with the least amount of turbulence and restrictions is going to give the most performance. Again, I have never seen a drag car running an exhaust system unless it was required;)
No one is debating whether drag cars run full exhaust or not. I just think it's odd you spent more $ on your banner than you did testing the product. Not trying to flame, I think it's a great idea, but I think the cart is being put before the horse here.

Hi, We are considering having this manufactured. We are not manufacturing this or have any for sale. We would like your opinions and thoughts on this prototype. Would it help your Turbo breath better? We are familiar with the pros and cons of the electric exhaust cutouts, as well as the npp style mufflers. Our design is the only true manual cutout that flows completely to the atmosphere. Again, please give us your thoughts and criticisms. We really want to hear from the performance enthusiasts. Thanks!

Not to be a buzzkill .. but this has been tried over 20 years ago ... I'll save you the suspense .. you don't gain anything other than clearance ..

Attachments

• dumpcutout.JPG
    dumpcutout.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 145
Not to be a buzzkill .. but this has been tried over 20 years ago ... I'll save you the suspense .. you don't gain anything other than clearance ..
Well here's hoping to prove you wrong. If you gain hp from a y pipe cutout, then an open header should be beneficial as well. We will see how we do:)

You're really confusing a turbo engine with a poorly tuned N/A engine with it comes to this stuff.

An N/A engine with the wrong headers, too much overlap, and/or not enough compression will actually lose power and mileage/efficiency with a higher flowing exhaust system. That's just the side effect of having a piss poor engine build with an exhaust that doesn't match it.?

On a turbo engine the basic rule is less flow restriction the better. Period.

If you have a nice exhaust that flows well coupled to a car that doesn't tax the exhaust system, there's absolutely nothing to be gained by a dump, nothing.

If you have a fire breathing engine from hell coupled to a POS restrictive exhaust system there actually is a gain to be had.... IF you tune the engine for the dump being open... That being said, I don't know too many people with a high dollar ground pounder that's hooked to a corked up exhaust system.

but if they do, a dump is a dump. If the exhaust want's to go out the dump, it can, if some of the exhaust wants to continue down the pipes, it can. There's no benefit from depriving the flow from the 2nd choice.

Bernoulli wrote a song about it. Pressure will flow to the area of the least restriction. Saying that your dump forces with gasses out the bottom and not letting some of them continue isn't freer flowing, it would actually be a restriction.

...but I'm not a staff member, so there's a chance I'm just some guy with a keyboard.

Interesting, Why is the cutout so far from the Turbo? Is that the only possible place to install a cutout on the G body cars?

I didn't see anybody answer this, so I'll bite. It's convenience. We just pull the cat and replace it with a dump. It's easy and extremely conveniently located. Right at the end of the downpipe is the cat, on the bottom of the car. It slips on on one end and bolts to your cat-back exhaust on the other. No cutting, grinding, or welding needed. We've only got the one cat. It's not like some other cars that have cats integrated into the exhaust or anything. A dump pipe goes in the same place.

Easy day.

Millions of dumps have been bought over the years by people who know little as to what their HP gains would be. And millions more will be bought in the future. If given the choice many will buy this one instead.

Yes, I certainly would like to see proof. But many outside the TR world have already made the decisions without it. So either way. I believe there is a market for this piece. Make it stainless, make it pretty, have the cap made in polished stainless with your logo laser etched in it, and it will sell.

Keep the cost a lot lower than the electric cut-outs (this will be easy) and you may steal some of those customers as well. I can sell 25 of your cut-outs at the local import window tint shop tomorrow if I had them in my trunk!

Like I said before, for a guy like me, who had a true dual exhaust fabbed up from scratch, I would have put 2 of them on just for shits and giggles.

Last edited:
I think it's a cool piece.

Did you built a better mouse trap?
Probably not.

Did you built a worse mouse trap?
No.

It's a cool new design that people may want.

D

It's compact and not ugly like the Y style cutouts. Put a 4 bolt cat flange on one side. It would sell.

You're really confusing a turbo engine with a poorly tuned N/A engine with it comes to this stuff.

An N/A engine with the wrong headers, too much overlap, and/or not enough compression will actually lose power and mileage/efficiency with a higher flowing exhaust system. That's just the side effect of having a piss poor engine build with an exhaust that doesn't match it.?

On a turbo engine the basic rule is less flow restriction the better. Period.

If you have a nice exhaust that flows well coupled to a car that doesn't tax the exhaust system, there's absolutely nothing to be gained by a dump, nothing.

If you have a fire breathing engine from hell coupled to a POS restrictive exhaust system there actually is a gain to be had.... IF you tune the engine for the dump being open... That being said, I don't know too many people with a high dollar ground pounder that's hooked to a corked up exhaust system.

but if they do, a dump is a dump. If the exhaust want's to go out the dump, it can, if some of the exhaust wants to continue down the pipes, it can. There's no benefit from depriving the flow from the 2nd choice.

Bernoulli wrote a song about it. Pressure will flow to the area of the least restriction. Saying that your dump forces with gasses out the bottom and not letting some of them continue isn't freer flowing, it would actually be a restriction.

...but I'm not a staff member, so there's a chance I'm just some guy with a keyboard.

This X 2 ... totally agree Earl ...

Best Dump option by far is one that the Turbo Buicks seldom use .. and its based on how easy it is just to get a Y - dump and toss that on...

personally im dead set ona low profile dump just as pictured above with a intergrated swing valve based on boost .. you can set it at any pressure threshold and it closes so when your driving NO NOISE .

Im getting too old and fussy to get under a car get dirty , burn my hands to open a manual dump which after the first 5 minutes of driving and getting the whistle rush ... I've had enough of the belching noise .. and all for what ? the few hundredths of a second I might gain .. bleh

but to the OP .. Give it a Whirl and see what shakes loose for ya .. if your able to find that elusive 40 hp in a dump and market it .. the peeps will be all over it ...

nowdays its becoming obvious you can package a TURD and sell it .. nobody says it actually has to work and make more hp ... it just has to be available :)

Could you please give me an example of tried before?

Sure .. True divorced outlet with removable insert for diversion .. In multiple configurations ( round, oval, square) ...
Also redirection of exhaust to the Y portion of the cutout to the full exhaust...

This X 2 ... totally agree Earl ...

Best Dump option by far is one that the Turbo Buicks seldom use .. and its based on how easy it is just to get a Y - dump and toss that on...

personally im dead set ona low profile dump just as pictured above with a intergrated swing valve based on boost .. you can set it at any pressure threshold and it closes so when your driving NO NOISE .

Im getting too old and fussy to get under a car get dirty , burn my hands to open a manual dump which after the first 5 minutes of driving and getting the whistle rush ... I've had enough of the belching noise .. and all for what ? the few hundredths of a second I might gain .. bleh

but to the OP .. Give it a Whirl and see what shakes loose for ya .. if your able to find that elusive 40 hp in a dump and market it .. the peeps will be all over it ...

nowdays its becoming obvious you can package a TURD and sell it .. nobody says it actually has to work and make more hp ... it just has to be available :)
So you've made the point that our compact "TURD" design could be used and be beneficial as a mount for a BOV/boost valve/EWG. As i normally find on forums, you have comments pro and con. It is what it is, and we appreciate them all. Not everyone will appreciate it, nor do they have to purchase it. We believe it's beneficial and also fun for those who just want to uncork and have true open exhaust for car shows or a fun drive.

Sure .. True divorced outlet with removable insert for diversion .. In multiple configurations ( round, oval, square) ...
Also redirection of exhaust to the Y portion of the cutout to the full exhaust...
I'm sorry, I guess I was looking for a manufacturer/company.

Not to be a buzzkill... but that is a different approach and still utilizes the full exhaust system.

I'm not going to say whether performance is different between the two [I'm sure there is however slight it may be] as I haven't tested it or seen the data to disprove it and neither have you so maybe that will keep you in suspense.

So you've made the point that our compact "TURD" design could be used and be beneficial as a mount for a BOV/boost valve/EWG. As i normally find on forums, you have comments pro and con. It is what it is, and we appreciate them all. Not everyone will appreciate it, nor do they have to purchase it. We believe it's beneficial and also fun for those who just want to uncork and have true open exhaust for car shows or a fun drive.

Hold it.. I never said Yours is a turd design.. I just said nowdays its possible to package a "Turd" and sell it.. Dont take it out of context

Not to be a buzzkill... but that is a different approach and still utilizes the full exhaust system.

I'm not going to say whether performance is different between the two [I'm sure there is however slight it may be] as I haven't tested it or seen the data to disprove it and neither have you so maybe that will keep you in suspense.

Huh .. Dude re-read what i posted.. Dont tell me i havent seen it tested or have the data to prove it.. How the F would u know what ive seen and tested.. I made a simple post... Its been done and tried in many configurations A LONG time ago !! It didnt do SQUAT .. Now if u think your so sharp .. I'll pull all the parts out and we can dyno it and put it on YOUR car to run and evaluate it.... But when it returns NILL you pay for the dyno time , track time and labor time to do it!