Winter Power vs Summer Power?

rb68rr

How can you maintain the power our cars have when it's 50 degrees vs 90 degrees in the summer? Thanks, R.B.

RB, I can relate to your dilemma because I live in Beaumont where it reaches over 100 with 100% humidity. I used to start getting knock with only 10 lbs of boost. Installed the V4 I/C, PTA 49, and SMC alky. Now, on a 100 degree day, I run 21# boost on 93 octane pump gas, the O2s vary according to the humidity but are usually between 775 and 800, and the knock remains at 0.0. The SMC alky kit helped the most. I believe alcohol supplementation is a must in our subtropical climate. Hope this helps, Good luck, Joel

50* ?? I can honestly say the coolest weather my car has ever raced in was high 60's.......I envy you guys that get the cool temps...there really is no solution except to run more boost to get the power back....the air is less dense and hotter when the temps go up....soooo turn up the wick and lean it out some (this is why there is no good reason to race here in the summer....my car slows down .5 or better in the hot (90*) ...forget about it when it hits 100)

the only guys that have it worse are the COLO boys in the summer at 5,000 ft

Get an Alcohol injection kit. You will still lose some perf when it gets hot but your initial performance level will be much higher. Its almost as good as running race gas all the time

Originally posted by azgn
50* ?? I can honestly say the coolest weather my car has ever raced in was high 60's.......I envy you guys that get the cool temps...there really is no solution except to run more boost to get the power back....the air is less dense and hotter when the temps go up....soooo turn up the wick and lean it out some (this is why there is no good reason to race here in the summer....my car slows down .5 or better in the hot (90*) ...forget about it when it hits 100)

the only guys that have it worse are the COLO boys in the summer at 5,000 ft

High 60's eh? I bet you were wearing a sweater on that day too? ;) lol

The weather here is in the low's 50's today and threatening to rain. Hopefully it holds off for Nick and the Gallina's making their runs this weekend. Should be some good air if it doesn't rain. :)

sweater hell, I had my ski parka on!

yeah, Nick took off today for BC....they are hoping for some
"below" sea level weather.....I think the GN will be there along with the TTA (Marka will prolly try & set I & J/A records....well, she already has the I, maybe push it down some)

John is looking for 7's............only SS to do so

just a brief comment on the alcohol thing.....with any kind of fuel, performance will be down in direct proportion to the Temp, altitude, humidity, etc......alcohol doesn't change a thing when the temp goes up......you still slow down from where you were at cooler temps

of course, you can run more boost safely with alky, but that is true at any temp.....you'll go faster when its cool than when its hot! (unless you tune around it....)

summer vs Winter

RB, I know exactly how you feel. I live in NJ and when I drive my car in the winter, it's like a ROCKET! As soon as it gets in the 80's-90's forget it...the car is a slouch!!

I have the stock IC on my car...it's HISTORY soon!

By the way, Does the 68RR mean Road Runner or something?

Tom:) :eek:

Tom, yes it does. I have a 1968 Roadrunner, hemi orange with black hood stripes. Great car!

have you guys ever driven your TR when the temp was below 32 degrees??? omg it's like night and day with a 50 degree temp....no knock and so much power you scare yourself!

1° outside temp. seems to equal at least ±1 horse power on my car. A bigger intercooler is the greatest weapon against heat, along with all the other engine temp. lowering tricks. With my frontmount IC, I have a 3 row HE radiator with dual spal fans. My car can stay at 170-175° in the 85° heat. In the winter (say 50° in San José) it runs 160°. My power loss in the heat is definately less than my first GN (with stock IC).

Yeah . . . I used to daily drive mine in the winter, can't beat those below zero days. The tires really don't have much of a chance . . .

68 Road Runner!!

RB, we are two of a kind!!!!! I also own a Mope! Nestled in my three car garage beside my WE-4 I have a 68 Charger R/T 440/727 ! I bought the car from the 2nd owner, who had garaged the car since 1978! It is the cleanest RT I have ever seen at any show! And it only has 42K on the Clock! =-}:D

Talk to you soon!

Tom