Why are GN's so quick?

Gearing helps too-- a peaky motor combined with a 2.74 1st gear and a 3.42 rear gets things moving.

Drip Pan said:
Gearing helps too-- a peaky motor combined with a 2.74 1st gear and a 3.42 rear gets things moving.

How is a LC2 a peaky motor? My torque curve is very flat which is what makes these things fly.

Can you expound "area under curve" Geoff? I've read of it somewhere before but lost the information. Mahalo!

"This is the area under the power curve throughout a given rpm band.* Best case would be to have the most area under the curve to provide the best acceleration."

Simply put, the "Area under curve" allows the engine to do more "work" (i.e. accelerating the mass of the vehicle) at every rpm point. :)

So not just the "peak" (HP & Torque) numbers are important... Also important is how much of both you are making along the way..... :D

So, having nice LC2 torque from low RPM combined with decent mid to high HP, is what makes us quicker?! :)

Speaking of a cars new handling vs old car feel/handling....my wife drove our "new" car, 99 TA, (the newest car we own year model wise) and says its very fast compared to her 95 TA... Then we went for a ride in my GN, her first ride in it in more than 2 years probably and new turbo....she said "Holy sh!t.....dam this is fast!" when I floored it!! :D She just thought her 99 TA was fast..hehe.
My GN is a prime example, with less than $5k in parts its a mid-11 sec car.

I disagree...plenty of new cars will run with a STOCK GN. I saw 4 this weekend...2 at SDR and 2 at Steele....fastest was in the 12s (modded)...slowest was 14s. There are plenty of fast turbo buicks out there but also just as many if not more modded 12 sec or slower cars with mods. I love the Buicks like the next guy and wish more fast ones would go to the tracks here. It sux to talk up the legend to the g/f to see a Gn running 13s/14s :(

It's the aura of the GN. Menacing and sinister looking. My DMR doesn't get a second glance. Hmm might have something to do with the birdsh*t always on the car.

Stock GNs are not all that fast compared to some of the newer rides. Still, a low14/high 13 sec car is nothing to sneeze at. What I think throws a lot of guys for a loop is a GN can run 11s and even 10s and still look and sound like a stock assembly line built GN.
Gotta love the mystique thing too. These cars were legends even when they were brand new. I used to dread pulling up next to one at a stoplight in my old 3rd gen IROC back in the 80s. It was like sitting next to the grim reaper of musclecars :D

Hammer231 said:
Stock GNs are not all that fast compared to some of the newer rides. Still, a low14/high 13 sec car is nothing to sneeze at. What I think throws a lot of guys for a loop is a GN can run 11s and even 10s and still look and sound like a stock assembly line built GN.
Gotta love the mystique thing too. These cars were legends even when they were brand new. I used to dread pulling up next to one at a stoplight in my old 3rd gen IROC back in the 80s. It was like sitting next to the grim reaper of musclecars :D

Grim reaper of muscle cars....damn I love that..

You don't expect it, you never knew it, and once you realize it, you just lost in a major way.

Cablebandit said:
I disagree...plenty of new cars will run with a STOCK GN. I saw 4 this weekend...2 at SDR and 2 at Steele....fastest was in the 12s (modded)...slowest was 14s. There are plenty of fast turbo buicks out there but also just as many if not more modded 12 sec or slower cars with mods. I love the Buicks like the next guy and wish more fast ones would go to the tracks here. It sux to talk up the legend to the g/f to see a Gn running 13s/14s :(

Cable I saw you on ATLdragracing.com are you a member of street car forums? I'm bescurred on both sites. WUDDUP??

V8'sHAHA said:
Cable I saw you on ATLdragracing.com are you a member of street car forums? I'm bescurred on both sites. WUDDUP??
Yes I am cablebandit on every board but SCF..I am lazarus on there. I love the turbo buicks but have been disappointed lately in the ones I see at the track. I wish more would get to the track ready to roll but most are new owners who are just learning the car AND the track. It's good to see new owners though...keeps the enthusiasm there. I plan to go to SDR in November to see the Buicks show off!! I learned a lot about tuning and all on my ls1 from this site. Alky and dual walbros are two direct examples. Ls1 community was very hesitant to accept alky as anything but a band aid but i felt like "hell the buicks have been doing this stuff for years. Forced induction is not something new!!" I am very impressed with the new Cobras as well as the Evo....ya have a lot of fast cars out there right from the factory. i consider anything 13s or faster as fast!!!

Thats cool man I remember you now. You should go out to Dallas some times I know of atleast 3 GN/TTypes that run out there that are in the 6's. Theres one that has the potential to run mid 5's. The SDR race in November is bad ass lots of fast cars. I wish I was home for that unfortunatly the airforce is keeping me in Dover till atleast December. I went last year and It was a ball.

TurboDave said:

Thanks TurboDave-

This car does represent what EVERY good running turbo buick should run when you can get around the heat.

The most beneficial parts are:
Turbotweak chip
Methanol
RJC powerplate
HR rear bar 1.82 on radials in the heat

daily driver :D

PS- i believe you may have met Nick and Brady last night there in knoxville at the local car cruise? They are a few of my turbo buick buddies, they are super nice guys to know.

BW

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Thanks TurboDave-

This car does represent what EVERY good running turbo buick should run when you can get around the heat.

The most beneficial parts are:
Turbotweak chip
Methanol
RJC powerplate
HR rear bar 1.82 on radials in the heat

daily driver :D

PS- i believe you may have met Nick and Brady last night there in knoxville at the local car cruise? They are a few of my turbo buick buddies, they are super nice guys to know.

BW

Yes I did meet them. Good folks!

V8'sHAHA said:
Thats cool man I remember you now. You should go out to Dallas some times I know of atleast 3 GN/TTypes that run out there that are in the 6's. Theres one that has the potential to run mid 5's. The SDR race in November is bad ass lots of fast cars. I wish I was home for that unfortunatly the airforce is keeping me in Dover till atleast December. I went last year and It was a ball.
I went to Dallas last year and saw two guys...rosewood t and a black gn.Not Rob/blaine...I THINK the guys names were matt/doug. The rosewood was totin the tires like 1.4ish 60' and I think 7.2-4 1/8 Other guy had a chevy motor in the buick if I remember correctly. Nice guys though...i talked their ears off :) Lemme know if you guys get a few TBs out...i cant run at dallas cause of no cage in a vert but i'd come spectate!!!!