who makes best tq converter

Although the bottom line is if you are happy with what you got, on another note Dusty has spec'd a lot of converters for people and I have yet to see one unhappy customer who had to buy another converter because the unit he spec'd didn't perform. I would not hesitate to buy direct from Dusty, he grabbed the ball and ran with it and put the most time into working to get them right along with his customers. Give the business to the guy who put PTC on the map in the Buick world if you choose PTC, after all he has the "Fastest of the Fastest", class record holders, and outlaw record holders as customers right?? :biggrin:

Although the bottom line is if you are happy with what you got, on another note Dusty has spec'd a lot of converters for people and I have yet to see one unhappy customer who had to buy another converter because the unit he spec'd didn't perform. I would not hesitate to buy direct from Dusty, he grabbed the ball and ran with it and put the most time into working to get them right along with his customers. Give the business to the guy who put PTC on the map in the Buick world if you choose PTC, after all he has the "Fastest of the Fastest", class record holders, and outlaw record holders as customers right?? :biggrin:

I did call PTC first and PTC tec support said thay will call me back called edge he just happened to call my back ptc never did:frown:.. and i needed to talk to a tec before i ordered converter edge was very in tune with turbobuick trans/ street manners talked to him for 30 Min's about what i wanted out of a converter he also said he never had a UN happy customer i know ptc is a good converter co.its just edge talked a very good game lets hope it plays as good as he said it will :rolleyes:also i only buy parts for the gn that you guys recommend because i know most of you know turbo buick inside and out

PTC is the only convertor we sell. I always call Dusty when I place the order. I have NEVER heard of anyone taking one out because they are unhappy.

Your going to get a lot of opinions on this one. I like "Edge" converters. Using them in all my turbo cars and love them :)

Edge has been building converters for me for about 2 years. Its the only lock-up converter I will sell.

Just to clarify something the PTC 9.5" custom converters are built as ordered. They are not off the shelf converters. I dont know of any any vendors who stock various 9.5" PTC converters since they are built as needed on an individual basis. They are worth the wait and i wont rec anything but them to be behind a high horsepower turbo engine.

my PTC multi disk does as it supposed to. it puts it all down. but i could do without the noise and the harshness when it locks up at cruise speeds. just my .02
PTC doesnt make a multi disk. You are likely referring to a Precision Industries Vigilante.

PTC X 8
I had a single disc Vigilante lock up, worked ok for a little while then the lock-up clutch went to crap. Look at what all the fast guys in MAGNA where running and with the advise of Michael of "Michaels Transmissions" in NJ went with the PTC 3200 lock-up. You can really see the RPM drop on the highway when the lock-up kicks in.

Chuck

Neal Chance. Fasted outlaw cars in the nation run them and love em!

Chance makes a great piece, no doubt about it. It's one thing to make a big motor work with a turbo, totally different to make a little motor work with one. Look at the Fastest Buicks in the country and you'll be hard pressed to find a Chance in any of them.

To answer the original question. The best converter for a Buick will cost more than $600. You have several options in the $400-500 range that will get the job done, but to get the best your looking at more like $900.

What exactly do the fastest Buicks in the country have to do with a $600 converter for street/strip operation?

95 out of 100 of the fastest only get trailered.

They don't even fit the O.P.'s basic requirements.

What exactly do the fastest Buicks in the country have to do with a $600 converter for street/strip operation?

They may not have anything at all to do with it but spending the extra $300 on a PTC 9.5" will most likely net better e.t.'s.

We sell Protorque Converters! At $650 for a 2004r 9.5" Non Lock-up and $800 for a 9.5" Lock-up these are hard to beat with everything they come with!

Here is what comes standard with Every converter we sell:

* A full 1yr Warranty.
* Tig weld EVERY fin on ALL Converters.
* ALL converters are built using Roller Bearings.
* ALL Buick Converters come with a Billet Cover.

We can also make them with a "Billet Steel Spragless insert" for a small aditional fee.. (BTW: Big name guys have this too).. We have one of these in our personal GNS "Test Car".... and it's nice to know that the Stock Sprag (that often goes bad) is out of the converter!

Restalls? IF it needs one, We will re-stall it free as many times as it takes to get it right and make you happy..

Scot W.

Edge has been building converters for me for about 2 years. Its the only lock-up converter I will sell.

I am a firm believer in Lonnies transmissions. If this is the company he deals with lock ups, then they have to be good.

Curious, did you get the converter and install it? Any news on how it works and feels? I am thinking you may have some information on your thoughts of it.

Mike

Things developed on the race track make their way back to the street.

He asked for the best converter but wants to spend $600. $600 won't get you the best. He also didn't request lock-up or non lock.

What defines the best converter? There are lot of things that make a converter good.

The best lock-up will be a Vigilante Multi-disk or the 9x11 from PTS. These are capable of holding WOT locks without issues. These are all more than $600.

So what about the best non lock? You have non lock's from $300 all the way to $1000+. What makes one better than the other? You have to look at what you want from a turbo converter. Some will spool slower than others and slip more up top. Some will spool very fast for a good seat of the pants feel
but may give up in 3rd gear. Some will out spool and out mph everything at the track. It all comes down to getting something that works for your combo, which in turn comes back to working with people with experience to get it right.

I've used Art Carr and PTC. I liked both but track times point toward the PTC. Times don't lie. Non locking from Dusty was the ticket for me.