Who got the best deal on their turbo buick? Spill the beans, who got a killer deal?

You popped into my head when I started this thread ;). Nothing beats free. I'm sorry to hear you are now sick. I feel for you and your spout of bad luck you have going on. I really hope it turns around for you and just remember it can't rain everyday.

Thanks... When I have a bad day I just go to bed hoping for a better one tomorrow...

Who remembers the 2 for 1 deal ? The mint 87GN which had 20,000 some miles and the Black/Chrome T Both show cars for $10,000 This is maybe 8+ years ago.. Detriot to Chicago deal and back and forth a few times:) ...... I was lucky to finally own the Blk/Chrome car at one point......

Here it goes.
I was driving back to th office back in 1989 when I drove past Crossroads Buick in West chicago Il when I saw a buick regal on the rack out in front of the place. I pulled in and took a look at the car. The sales guy ran out and started giving me the bs about it being the fastest car made. I asked how much and he said $16,500 I laughed at him and left.
I went back to work and was telling my repo partner about the car and the boss came out and laughed. He told me that was his car and he just traded it in. When he asked me what they were asking for it I told him and he freaked out.
They gave him I believe $9600. anyways he knew the owner of the dealer and called the guy and told him one of his repoers wanted the car.I went back and talked with the manager and he said the owner said he would let me have it for $9,900 plus tax. So I did it. I traded in an 89 grand am and thats were it got a little crazy. I bought this car on a saturday and they called GMAC for the buy out on my car and the guy at the dealer said the payout was 9,400 which I thought was way to low and he said thats what they told him. Well a month later the dealer calls me to pick up my plates.When I get there they say I owe them another 3,500 before I could get the plates. They said I gave them the wrong payout on my grand am.I told him the manager told me what the buyout was. well they had to give my plates because the paperwork was signed. So if you look at it I got the car for 6400 with a tad over 12,000 miles but after the finance charges it was just over $12,000. The car is under going a frame off resto right now. The funny thing is When I blew the engine in 1994 some guy pulled up to the shop I was working at and asked if it was for sale. It was Prasad aka wickedv6. LOL
sorry for the long story

Here it goes.
I was driving back to th office back in 1989 when I drove past Crossroads Buick in West chicago Il when I saw a buick regal on the rack out in front of the place. I pulled in and took a look at the car. The sales guy ran out and started giving me the bs about it being the fastest car made. I asked how much and he said $16,500 I laughed at him and left.
I went back to work and was telling my repo partner about the car and the boss came out and laughed. He told me that was his car and he just traded it in. When he asked me what they were asking for it I told him and he freaked out.
They gave him I believe $9400. anyways he knew the owner of the dealer and called the guy and told him one of his repoers wanted the car.I went back and talked with the manager and he said the owner said he would let me have it for $9,900 plus tax. So I did it. I traded in an 89 grand am and thats were it got a little crazy. I bought this car on a saturday and they called GMAC for the buy out on my car and the guy at the dealer said the payout was 9,400 which I thought was way to low and he said thats what they told him. Well a month later the dealer calls me to pick up my plates.When I get there they say I owe them another 3,500 before I could get the plates. They said I gave them the wrong payout on my grand am.I told him the manager told me what the buyout was. well they had to give my plates because the paperwork was signed. So if you look at it I got the car for 6400 with a tad over 12,000 miles but after the finance charges it was just over $12,000. The car is under going a frame off resto right now. The funny thing is When I blew the engine in 1994 some guy pulled up to the shop I was working at and asked if it was for sale. It was Prasad aka wickedv6. LOL
sorry for the long story

Good story - good thing they didn't report the car stolen like this asshat dealer - http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/09/man-arrested-for-accepting-a-good-deal-at-car-dealership/

Who remembers the 2 for 1 deal ? The mint 87GN which had 20,000 some miles and the Black/Chrome T Both show cars for $10,000 This is maybe 8+ years ago.. Detriot to Chicago deal and back and forth a few times:) ...... I was lucky to finally own the Blk/Chrome car at one point......

Were they 10k each or all together? Either way it's a good deal!

No steal for my GN, but think I got what I paid for. 87 GN, T-Top, Dig Dash, 31,000 miles, N.C. car, $21000.00 . But, had a fresh upgraded turbo, trans had been apart/serviced with new seals, was sticking after years of sitting. Trans had no signs of wear. New rad, hoses, tires & AC. My buddy had purchased this in N.C. and the car had sat, when he got it home he had to go through all the usual things from sitting. So I could have in theory have paid thousands less and had to go though all the repair/service that he did. Only real issue I had after the purchase was with the Power Master, which is now converted & infinitely better with vac assist. Every GN I looked at that I would have considered was always in thet $17K to $21K range. In my experience just about every low mileage vehicle has the same issues, cooling system, A/C, brakes, tires & oil leaks. If you can score one with most of these taken care of it's well worth the extra $$

paid $1725 for my 85 on ebay....have no idea how much I have in it now...nor do I care to know. Then I picked up my 42,000 mile 87 Turbo T in 2009 for a mere $5200.....still feeling guilty about that one.......nah...I'm over it....:D

My first TR was my third Regal, an 83 T-Type for $300 and a brake job IRCC. It had busted windshield and a flat tire. Car had a death wish but I kept it a long time. Even after the 6 started going out, which I still have, I ran it with a 68 Olds W-31 motor that is now awaiting transplant into the wife's 79 TA.

Next one was an 84 T-Type that I got a na Regal Ltd with for $200 and a paint job on a Bronco.

This was all about 96-97.

I got soaked on my third one, so.....

Years ago a guy brought a bone stock car into our shop and had lots of work done, about $5000 worth. Nice T-type. He pays, very happy. About 4 weeks later he stops buys and says I need money, I need to sell my car do you know anyone? I tell him people call me all the time how much do you want? I figure he will ask about $8000 which would have been fair. He says if I can get $4000 today I wil sell it, I had Marianne write him a check.

Both for $10K......... And if I remember the GN was resold a little later for $23K

This when you drove all the way up to Detriot for the black n chrome car and all of a sudden the guy didn't want to let it go. :mad:
Glad you eventually got it though... you still have it right?

i bought my GN in late 98 for 7750 dollars. The Turbo T i bought for 3500 bucks but it needed lots of love so i spent a mint on it

Just bought my Turbo T for $7k with original 54k miles. The car was pretty much all original...even with the original fuel filter :eek:. I bought it from the second owner's son and even though he didn't care much for Buicks, still kept it in a garage over his pride and joy, which was sitting outside.

I called Jim Dunn while I was looking at a Blue T-Type, which had a rebuilt engine, tranny AND rear end ... at 89k miles :rolleyes:. He mentioned this WE4 that he's been watching on Craigslist. Talked me into looking at it, even though I didn't want a black car (my reason for not getting a GN). After me and him looked at it, I fell in love with it.

Well, after Jim had his hands in it for few weeks I'm picking it up today from him :D:)

Picked up an 87 T two weekends ago. Watched it on craigsist for awhile and when it went to 6k I couldn't convince my dad to pick it up so I got it before someone else did. Ever since I brought it home my dads been trying to talk me out of her. May be his retirement gift in a few months.
64k miles. Owner had around $5500+ in receipts since march from gm and different vendors into the car.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121020_150550.png
    ForumRunner_20121020_150550.png
    601.5 KB · Views: 98
A few months ago I kind of fell into a 1986 GN, with 921xx miles, and garage kept since at least 1992. It was in primer, but I only had to make a 1200 mile drive round trip towing it with a 1998 S10 with 220,000 miles, and fence in about 5 acre's for it. Somehow, I didn't even have to pay for the gas.

That tow home was pretty sketchy through PA I must say. That truck wasn't quite happy with the mountains.

Thanks... When I have a bad day I just go to bed hoping for a better one tomorrow...

Hey, Mike.....it'll get better for you.....it just takes some time.....you are still very much grieving but remember we all love you and really, really care about you here on this forum....I'm so sure I speak for all of us here.....you've been an outstanding nice guy and one we can all remember with great, good thoughts, so keep that in mind...........we are all rooting for you.........you just grieve for as long as your heart feels it, then move on with your life..............remember, I've never met anyone ever getting out of this life alive......hang in there, my friend..........we sure do care about you and what you've been through. All kind thoughts and prayers still going your way, especially from Brucie's house.:)And God bless you. God never gives you more than you can handle.....He helps you handle what you've been given.....think about that. Then rest peacefully at night. It'll work out for you...in time...you'll see. You've been one terrific guy, so keep up the good work.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Oh.....got off track here.........who got a killer deal? I think I did......in a sad, bittersweet way. You see, my Dad bought this '87 Grand National brand new....was like a wild kid, drove it like a maniac! Big smile all of the time with this black banshee...always telling me of all of the cars he blew away..........raced it on the street like a crazy man. (exactly the OPPOSITE of what he warned me against all those years growing up) Sheesh! How do you like that?

So, just before his 82nd birthday, he gave me the Grand National, the one I always type after my name....he said it was "too fast for him now." I had to chuckle then.....he being a WWII B-25, B-26 bomber pilot and also flew the P-38 black widow and numerous other cool fighter planes at that time......his nick name in flight school was "Deadstick Urie." as he had this reputation of landing planes safely everytime when their engines quit (including Stearmans) Remember, back when the war started, all these planes were new and put into production at lightning speed, so lots had things wrong with them when put into service.....Dad told me he landed about 25-30 planes deadstick, which means: engines quit in flight, no power, no sh*t! Definately a sphincter tightning situation.:eek:

So it was kind of strange, but funny he'd give his pride and joy to me.....he said I'd been the only one of his three sons that could figure out what in hell was wrong with it when it quit, (yeah, right, I kept very, very quiet when he said that, HA!):rolleyes:

When his Grand National was stolen in 2001, but gotten back from the cowards that stole it a month later, it needed so much done to it to get it going again....ie, steering column, steering wheel, starter, radio, alternator, shifter, emblems, torn rear seats, locks to be replaced, etc. etc....I spent all winter putting this thing back together for him............when he heard when I started it for the first time in a long while, he cried....he was so appreciative of this that he said this GN is yours when I die..........I said, sure, right...didn't believe him at all.

So, he gave it to me near his 82nd birthday....telling me he wants it fixed again and to promise I'd give him a fast ride in it......soon.......alas............I didn't finish it in time...........my ol' beloved Dad died six months later.....nobody felt worse than I did..........I didn't finish in time to give him his last ride......damn it.

So, I got it for free....but spent lots of time and money getting it as perfect as I can....still doing it as of today, when I have time......my plan is to take Dad's ashes in his beloved '87 Grand National up to Rock Hall, Maryland (his home town) and spread them over Swan Creek, where his Dad, my Dad and I used to duck hunt in the 50's. (we hunted ducks for dinner, can you believe that? Ever bite down on lead shot?)

I'd never, ever get rid of this Grand National as everytime I work on it, sit in it, look at it I can see my ol' WWII bomber pilot Dad sitting there grinning like a maniac......I have his AAF hat sitting in the rear window....just to keep him close. I, to this very day, miss him so damn much....and I still shed tears for him.

And thanks to Dad for this gift, I've met some of the most wonderful, kind, caring, funniest, uplifting guys I could ever meet....right here on this forum...........I do, without a doubt, love you all......and it's all thanks to my late father's generosity. This has opened up a whole new world of good friends for me.....right here!

Bruce '87 Grand National