which presidents were impeached?

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
my first hour teacher was trying to tell us that 3 of our presidents have been impeached, i think its only two, but i didnt want to start an argument... she said that Johnson, Nixion and Clinton were impeached... i thought nixion resigned before he was impeached? but this is the same teacher that told us five minutes earlier that Carter was president in 1999.. :eek:

-neil

Your teacher is correct - but not about the 1999 Carter remark... ;)

\Here is the info.

Andrew Johnson- Steps I and II were skipped in the Johnson impeachment. This was because of Johnson's vast unpopularity,particularly in Congress, in the bitter year's following the Civil War.

Step III: In Spring 1867, committee members conducted an early sortie against Johnson without going to the full House for backing. On their own they sought evidence that would justify impeaching Johnson, but they failed.

Step IV: Johnson began again after Congress passed a law forbidding a president from dismissing a Cabinet member w/o Senate approval. Johnson considered the law unconstitutional and dismissed Secretary of War Edwin Stanton. In February 1868 the House was so inflamed that it voted to impeach Johnson 126-47 even before it adopted any articles of impeachment. A week later the House passed 11 articles, 8 of them relating to the Stanton dismissal. Another, in part, maintained that Johnson had criticized Congress in a "loud voice."

Step V: from March to May 1868 the trial lasted. Johnson did not attend but was well represented by a team of lawyers. The prosecution was led by 7 House members. After the trial, senators were allowed 15 min. each during one day of debate to speak about the impeachment articles. The Senate then adjourned for a week. The final vote came in a dramatic roll call that lasted more than one hour. The outcome, in doubt until the very end, was 35 guilty votes and 19 not guilty-one short of the two-thirds majority needed. In all, seven Republicans had defected and voted against removal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard Milhouse Nixon- Step II: In 1974 the House voted 410-4 to authorize the Judiciary Committee to conduct an impeachment inquiry into the Watergate scandal. This vote was largely procedural- the Judiciary Committee had begun its work months before.

Step III: After the public outcry over the "Saturday Night Massacre," in which Nixon fired Watergate special procecuter Archibald Cox in October 1973, the committee began collecting impeachment evidence. Nixon refused to cooperate, though, and would not honor subpoenas for tapes and documents. At first the committee held closed hearings. In July 1974, the committee opened its debate, which was watched by a huge television audience. The committee approved three articles of impeachment charging Nixon with helping to cover up Watergate, abusing his powers and failing to honor committee subpoenas. While the committee was debating, the Supreme Court ruled that Nixon had to release tapes he had withheld.

Step IV: Soon after the Supreme Court ruling , Nixon released a tape transcript making clear his role in the Watergate coverup. It quickly became clear that Nixon could not survive an impeachment vote, and he resigned before he reached stage IV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Jefferson Clinton - Step I: When independent counsel Kenneth Starr delivered an 11-count report to Congress in September, the House referred it to the Judiciary Committee. The committee's chief investigative counsel, David Schippers, repackaged the allegations into 15 counts , ranging from obstruction of justice in the Monica Lewinsky affair to witness tampering. He dropped Starr's abuse-of-power allegation, however these allegations were resurfaced by committee chairman Henry Hyde of Illinois. On October 5; by a 21-16 vote (following party lines) the committee recommended the full House approve a formal investigation.

Step II: On Oct. 8, by a vote of 258-176, representatives endorsed a somewhat open-ended inquiry by the Judiciary Committee. A Democratic plan that would have limited the inquiry was defeated. In the final vote, 31 Democrats broke ranks and voted with the Republican majority.

Step III: The House Judiciary Committee, after hearing about six weeks of testimony, drafted four articles of impeachment all involving the Lewinsky affair. Two of these articles were allegations of purgery, one for obstruction of justice, the other involving abuse of power. The committee voted 21-16, 23-14, 21-16, 20-17 in favor of all four articles of impeachment to be sent to the House for an Impeachment vote.

Step IV: On December 19 the Full House voted to impeach William Jefferson Clinton on one count of purgery and one count of obstruction of justice. On the previous day the Republican majority of the House rejected a Democratic plan for censure of the President because of the failure of the President to admit he had lied under oath. Later Henry Hyde was heard to say that censure was "unconstitutional"

Step V: The second impeachment trial for a president in US history started on January 11, 1999. Despite heavy pressure from White House counsel and the American public, The Senate defeated a measure to dismiss all charges against the president. The debate as to call witnesses would be called or not was answered when it was announced that the Senate would depose three witnesses: Monica Lewinsky, Vernon Jordan and Sidney Blumenthal. On February 12 the Senate voted 55-45 and 50-50 on the two articles of impeachment preventing Clinton from being removed from office.

wow...reading thru that entire clinton thing sickens me....i have been an anti clinton person since i was a sophomore in HS...and this is due to some major research i had done...yet my hippy history prof slammed me for my comments..that was in clintons first few months of office, 8 years later, many scandals...one impeachment, yet the senate couldnt get rid of him....but damn look at the votes...basically half the senate said get rid of the guy, but i guess it needs 2/3rds vote? or more, but regardless....he was a jackass and everyone knows it, yet WE managed to let him have 8 years, ending with recession, military draw down, etc......
and now we have his wife in power......watch out people....its not over...

You teacher is wrong Nixon was not impeached. The House Judiciary Committee approved three articles of impeachment in July 1974 against Nixon arising from the break-in at Democratic National Committee headquarters in the Watergate building and a subsequent cover-up. Nixon resigned Aug. 9, 1974, before the full House voted on the articles. Most Democrats forget this point.