A word about Kobalt tools

Bruce Urie

The Ventures,CCR forever!
A little trouble with Kobalt tools from Lowes. A few years ago, I bought this set of tools, Kobalt, from Lowes....this set had all the types of ends that I could use, with a swivel socket wrench. See here:
DSC_0750.JPG
The other day, I broke the T-50 socket trying to get a rusted bolt from my rear seat belt rewinder on my '88 Jeep. This is what busted:
Ok, no problem....went to Lowes for a replacement. (note lifetime HASSLE FREE guarantee. ) Front desk sent me to tool section.....I could find no socket like this, with the splines on the barrel. Only a regular 3/8 drive T-50. Went back to desk....clerk and told her this. She got on phone, called tool department and told us that a tool guy is waiting back at the tool department and will FIND the RIGHT PART himself. I told her that I already looked. Was ignored. Met tool guy....tool guy looked and looked like my wife and I just did. No dice. No tool. He told us we'll have to call Kobalt tools, looked up a number, gave it to us.
Went home, called them. They said they couldn't help us....no such tool. Gave us another person to talk to...that person couldn't help. Gave us a number in Maryland. Called Maryland. Maryland girl told us Kobalt is not a brand name, it's a name owned by GearWrench.......but could not help us. She gave us the number of GearWrench....called GearWrench.....the girl there asked for the number of the set and the broken T-50......said all Kobalt are really GearWrench and Lowes does not stock all parts for replacement. But told us that they'll send us a new socket OR a new set, whatever.
Just wanted to let you guys know this.....we live about 35 miles from the nearest Lowes....plus all those phone calls just to finally get a connection....all the calls took my wife about two hours of calling and trying.......so, next time you guys go for Kobalt, I suggest Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac, or Husky...at least you can get any broken tool replaced right away..

By the way, Sears just sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley Tool Corporation the other day. So, it may or may not be up to par as far as quality...I don't know, don't quote me on that...but Stanley Tools now owns the Craftsman name in tools......I've noticed that a lot of Craftsman tools are made in China, which I really don't like. Harbor Freight socket sets, and impact sets are of top quality, in my honest opinion....I have five sets of impacts from them for the last 15 years, and not one of them has broken. And Harbor Freight will replace any tool that breaks also, free of charge. Believe me, I've used those Harbor Freight sockets long and very hard!

I'll let you know if GearWrench comes through.....I have a few sets of ratcheting GearWrench tools and they've performed just great.....never have broken one yet over the last 10 years.....I'm just getting pretty wary of tools made in China....would LOVE to buy Snap-On, but the truck never stops at my house for any reason..I'm not a very important or famous person, just a dweeb with a guitar in one hand and a Grand National key in the other......I only see them at an automotive shop.....I used to work at a dealership and had this luxury of Snap-On visits from the Snap-On man.....was like Christmas for me!

That is, until the service manager of that dealership STOLE my complete tool set while I was in the hospital for one week. And the president of the dealership told me he since "knew" it was an "In house theft", their insurance will NOT cover it...(wonder how he KNEW? I never told him)........so my only option, he told me, was to go out and get another $15,000 set or quit. Nice guy. I later found out my friend, the service manager named BILL BAKER had stolen my set to use for his boat. He already had three big Mac tool chest in the shop area, plus owned an airplane, two Oldsmobiles, his own home, and that big boat. (I've even been on his boat, too) (Found out this one year later by another friend who worked there who told me Bill was bragging about it!) I asked him would he testify in court Bill did this, and my good buddy, my guitar buddy of 18 years said "I'm not going to lose my job, no way will I testify!" Yes, it's good to know who your friends are in this world.

And the nerve of him.....he wanted to get together with me two years ago again, play guitar, go crabbing, get together for visits, cookouts, cars, etc. Guess what I told him? NOTHING.
Man, I sure can get off the subject so quickly, can't I? Guess I'll go to bed now.

Bruce '87 Grand National
DSC_0751.JPG

Last edited:
I frequent Lowes often and never have seen that set. It's probably only available online now since I don't see them selling many of those kits. I like kobalt tools. I've had good service from them.

I have a HF store a couple miles away. Used to go there a couple times a month. Haven't been in four or five months. Most of their stuff is Chinese junk, in my opinion.

I do have a set of Harbor Freights 1/2" Torx set and it works great! I don't like their sockets, wrenches, or socket wrenches at all. Mostly use Crapsman but they get the job done. I agree all of the box store tools available are made in China! Craftsman has been the least likely to break but even when they do it's an easy replacement process! I do not like Kobalt think they are a bit too over priced! Husky from Home Depot is pretty good and a few dollars cheaper! I saw Craftsman was just purchased from Stanley Tools which also owns DeWalt! So it may be a good thing cause Craftsman will be available in more stores soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman did get bought by Stanley, but Stanley is owned by the same company as Mac Tools. So quality will probably stay, but where will you get replacements? Will Sears keep a tool department? Or will it be like Kmart selling craftsman with 1 row all the way in the back of the store?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sears would continue to sell the tools! I'm sure it will be close to the same! If they got rid of tools they should just close the store down now!

Craftsman did get bought by Stanley, but Stanley is owned by the same company as Mac Tools. So quality will probably stay, but where will you get replacements? Will Sears keep a tool department? Or will it be like Kmart selling craftsman with 1 row all the way in the back of the store?

News here said that Craftsman got sold to Black and Decker. ????

Their full name is Stanley Black & Decker.

After 90 years, Sears announced Thursday that it would sell the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker (SWK) for $900 million to raise cash it needs, as Sears weathers store closings and declining revenue.

Same company

Sadly, just like the movie Tommy Boy, these retailers are putting $h/t in the package and drawing sales with an empty warranty. The days of "less expensive" Made in USA tools is over unless you like to hit the pawn shops and estate sales.

By the time you track down and try to force Lowe's to replace your broken tool you will be way ahead to throw it in the trash and move forward with something else. I'm assuming you have a set of regular(1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive) ratchets. Get a socket in one of those drives.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-on-too...:g:s38AAOSw7FRWaia0&item=222369971121&vxp=mtr
or
http://www.cripedistributing.com/kobalt-3pc-3-8-drive-torx-bits-t40-to-t50-22362set-usa.html
If you want another Kobalt. I'm willing to bet the one you broke was manufactured "off Shore". These or a craftsman piece might be USA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-3-8-Dri...:g:8WsAAOSw241YZEwm&item=252700767412&vxp=mtr

I just went to Sears on Sunday to replace my 3/8" flex head socket wrench! I pulled one from the shelf and brought it to the counter. The guy told me that they have to check to see if they have a re furbed one! No such luck he was told to replace it with the new one I had in my hand! The socket wrench btw was made in Taiwan while most of their sockets and wrenches are made in China! Most of my Craftsman tools are from the 90's when they still had USA on the tool. Those days are long gone!

Sadly, just like the movie Tommy Boy, these retailers are putting $h/t in the package and drawing sales with an empty warranty. The days of "less expensive" Made in USA tools is over unless you like to hit the pawn shops and estate sales.

By the time you track down and try to force Lowe's to replace your broken tool you will be way ahead to throw it in the trash and move forward with something else. I'm assuming you have a set of regular(1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive) ratchets. Get a socket in one of those drives.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-on-too...:g:s38AAOSw7FRWaia0&item=222369971121&vxp=mtr
or
http://www.cripedistributing.com/kobalt-3pc-3-8-drive-torx-bits-t40-to-t50-22362set-usa.html
If you want another Kobalt. I'm willing to bet the one you broke was manufactured "off Shore". These or a craftsman piece might be USA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-3-8-Dri...:g:8WsAAOSw241YZEwm&item=252700767412&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the information, Rich....I already have some Craftsman Torx sockets.......I just wanted to replace this one particular socket as to be available when I visit boneyards for parts.....this set has helped me a lot in this situation.....just wrote about this problem because I didn't expect all the crap we had to go through just to get a simple "Hassle Free Replacement" T-50 with the splines on the socket barrel.....I bought the whole set at Lowes, not online, so I thought they'd still have replacements.....of course, I was wrong, but still awaiting for the free replacement via mail as promised......I'll be using tools from now on for the heavy, hard work jobs which I can get them replaced if broken at Sears, or Snap-On, or Home Depot......As far as Lowes Kobalt, though they are very good tools, I'll take my chances with the other brands....this way, no long, long wait for a replacement.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I frequent Lowes often and never have seen that set. It's probably only available online now since I don't see them selling many of those kits. I like kobalt tools. I've had good service from them.

Have to agree with you that they are pretty good tools......it's just the hassle I didn't like going through with hours of phone calls just to get a little broken part replaced. When I first bought this set at Lowes, they had lots of they on display, and I mean LOTS. So I thought it would always be there at the store.....but, no problem. I can't seem to find this set online myself.

Bruce '87 Grand National