Where's the timing mark

Turbobug

I put a new crankshaft in an turbo 81 engine. I am reassembling and tried to line up the timing marks on the cam and crankshaft timing chain gears. There is a distinct mark on the cam gear. I can't find a corresponding mark on the crank gear. What am I missing?

Also, did all V6 engines use cam buffers/buttons? This one didn't have on when I disassembled it. Is it critical?

I put a new crankshaft in an turbo 81 engine. I am reassembling and tried to line up the timing marks on the cam and crankshaft timing chain gears. There is a distinct mark on the cam gear. I can't find a corresponding mark on the crank gear. What am I missing?

Also, did all V6 engines use cam buffers/buttons? This one didn't have on when I disassembled it. Is it critical?

Be sure to check both sides of the crank gear for the mark. If there isn't a mark and it is a new gear, compare it to the original one. If it is the original gear and no mark will need to either buy a new timing set, or borrow a lower gear to find out where the mark should be and mark it.

RemoveBeforeFlight