Where has the intelligent discussion gone?

I think the ls swap section needs to go away and be replaced with a Buick v8 section but that's jmo

And I do believe that the majority of people with enough disposable income to be trying things and experimenting past the known universe of tech are moving on to other things. And everything else has been done and can be found with a search.
That's if the search function decides to work. I find it hard to believe the words "exhaust housing" Have never been typed.

IMO,
I don't think it's any one thing. It's a bit of everything mentioned. What has happened to our dwindling numbers is a naturally occurring event.
There are now only a fraction of our cars left on the road, compared to a decade or two ago. It's frightening to think of how many cars have been parted out or scrapped just in the past few years. Combine this with the fact that now many people have multiple TBs in their yard...

As I recall, a dozen years ago, the Hawaii and Mid West sections were the largest and most active sections here. The So Western Section was the smallest and least active. It is my belief that many of the HI and Mid West cars have rusted out, never to return. Cars last a long time in the So Western states. Hence that section now being the biggest and more posts. It is now starting to slow down. My guess is the fact that most of the So Western drag strips have been closed down in recent years.

Looking forward: As the value of these cars goes up, less will be parted out. Hopefully, hoarders will cash out on vehicles to people who will bring them back. I would like to think that the rapid demise of cars (and owners) will now start to slow down. Restoration threads will gain in popularity. At least, I'm hoping they do.:D

Great discussion.

Mike Barnard

The only thing i disagree with there is the parting out of cars contributing to it. The cars being parted either haven't moved in years or were run into the ground by people who saw them as an appliance. I'd bet the number of nice trs has either leveled or gone up in the last 10 years even if the total number has dropped.

And we are trying to keep the Midwest section alive! But people just think we are weird. Lol

The tech forums have so little of this these days that we will likely hear crickets soon. Plenty of bs discussion available here but very little intelligent discussion going on. Post up if you have a solution or any clue as to why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'll find that we're becoming "victims" of computer technology.
Apparently all the answers have been found,so all that's left is to post crap.....at least for some people.
As has been previously noted,a lot of the older guys who knew a lot have moved on so the MacDonalds mentality prevails.
Sad but true.

The only thing i disagree with there is the parting out of cars contributing to it. The cars being parted either haven't moved in years or were run into the ground by people who saw them as an appliance. I'd bet the number of nice trs has either leveled or gone up in the last 10 years even if the total number has dropped.

And we are trying to keep the Midwest section alive! But people just think we are weird. Lol
I agree. Now that most of the damage/rust prone parts are finally available, more are willing to spend the money restoring a complete or mostly complete car. Some look past the cost of these parts due to the accessibility. I started on my car at the absolute worst time and I think at that time a lot of cars either met their demise and was parted or ended up in hands of ls turbo swaps.

Vendors used to be more involved with the site but now they are posting on fb more and more. Used to see raffles, contests, and other sorts posted in the lounge almost every season by vendors. Threads about new products. Special sales for Tb.com members. Rarely see any of that. Can't say that didn't generate more traffic.

Something I always thought would be cool to see is one of the vendors restore a car. Haven't seen anything like that since the charity raffle car that seemed to disappear off the planet. What ever happened to that car?

it is S.A.D season ....the old need to change their shop light bulbs ...lol
people are probably crying looking at their credit card bills from xmas shopping and doesn't help its SAD season
the new cars are just getting ridiculous in power...stock 4 bangers are faster than stock Turbo Buicks
The tech forums have so little of this these days that we will likely hear crickets soon. Plenty of bs discussion available here but very little intelligent discussion going on. Post up if you have a solution or any clue as to why.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure if you mean these days as in winter months but it is S.A.D season and maybe the baby boomers need to change their light bulbs to get some natural light ..lol
however you can expect it to get worse. the new cars are getting ridiculous, the factory horsepower war is full on. The bolts ons are knocking on the 1000 hp mark. The imports are getting good too. I bet there is many that are thinking about selling off all or sum of the tb stuff for a nice down payment to play with the new stuff.

I see where Ken (turbo fabricator) was on the other night.
Reminded me of how much knowledge that doesn't post anymore. Mostly because some idiots want to argue not knowing what they're talking about or who they are talking to.
Absolutely, he was a wizard. A LOT of the tech guys (laugh if you want) posted on T6P. It had a wealth of knowledge and was migrated over here. Brian a lot of the guys have gotten tired of the young guns and just do not post. Thanks to those thatd o.

Lots of the GOOD tech links of bruce plecans I've found are erased for some reason. Sure would be nice to see some of that thinking come back and not require a price tag. Not many are a fan of sharing knowledge or ideas like the ones he discussed. I've spent hours reading his old threads the last year

IMO,
I don't think it's any one thing. It's a bit of everything mentioned. What has happened to our dwindling numbers is a naturally occurring event.
There are now only a fraction of our cars left on the road, compared to a decade or two ago. It's frightening to think of how many cars have been parted out or scrapped just in the past few years. Combine this with the fact that now many people have multiple TBs in their yard...

As I recall, a dozen years ago, the Hawaii and Mid West sections were the largest and most active sections here. The So Western Section was the smallest and least active. It is my belief that many of the HI and Mid West cars have rusted out, never to return. Cars last a long time in the So Western states. Hence that section now being the biggest and more posts. It is now starting to slow down. My guess is the fact that most of the So Western drag strips have been closed down in recent years.

Looking forward: As the value of these cars goes up, less will be parted out. Hopefully, hoarders will cash out on vehicles to people who will bring them back. I would like to think that the rapid demise of cars (and owners) will now start to slow down. Restoration threads will gain in popularity. At least, I'm hoping they do.:D

Great discussion.

Mike Barnard
The closing of the only track on Oahu is primarily responsible for the decline in activity. There are still quite a few turbo Buicks here for a small island.

The board is turning into the kardashian's . :( I joined in 01 and there has been other times over the years that the board was dead but it always came back. Seems there are plenty of responses to negative post for some reason.

To be honest I see lots of good stuff on the board on a day to day. I think that these cars are becoming like there older brothers (Early GS/Skylarks) where it will be fewer cars and people but the people that stick with it will be much more knowledgeable because they stuck with it and stayed focused. I go on V8 Buick and there are fewer members and posts but lots of smart old guys that could make a wheel barrow go 10s.

For myself I like the cars because they are different and unique and for that reason are challenging , the people I meet that own them are a good bunch . I went to my first all Buick race at Norwalk and it was the most fun I have had in years. I am only interested in these old 6 bangers. Will it be the last car I have for a toy?? Not sure , might sell everything and go fishing. So for now I will keep hangin around here.

Last edited:
That's the other forum I've been on. V8buick has a lot of knowledgeable guys and its amazing what some of them are doing in full size cars and skylarks with low comp small valve 455s. Freaking 11s on a motor like that when some other guys can barely pull 12s tells something. One of them did get a little growly about going with intrepid fans though lol

I have no fascination with the ls motor. It reminds me of the rich kid in school that couldn't go fast with his money so he had to go buy a built car with mom and dads money.

IMO, the data already posted is a goldmine. I can't tell you how many hours I spent reading old threads of what worked and didn't, what parts were the best, which combos to try, etc. Anytime I know of someone getting into TRs for the first time, I send them here and a couple of other boards and tell them to just read. A lot.

It seems cars like ours have spurts. A few years ago a lot of people got into them and a bunch of rebuilds and restos happened. I know of probably 8 TRs in my area, whereas back when I got my car in 2008, there were maybe 3 counting mine. That group of cars is built and being driven now. So there's now a slow time in building.

My car is still powered by the factory V6 and I don't intend on changing that. But, IMO, the LS hate drives some people away. It's being done for a reason. To go fast, cheap. Ironically, that's one key thing that made the GN way cool to start with. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than a Vette and would handle up on it badly. LS engines have a great support system and are very tried and true. But if a LS GN shows up on the internet (or anywhere, really), purists come out of the woodwork and blow head gaskets all over the place. They then enjoy talking mad shit about how the young buck is too mechanically stupid to know how to make the V6 fast, so he took the easy way out, when fact of the matter is, a lot of people who like these cars also enjoy using modern tech to work smarter, not harder. It's like watching devolution to a degree. The guys who were cutting edge in the 80s & 90s are turning into the old, crotchety 60s/70s muscle car guys who complained and cried about the TR when it came out.

kinda hard to have an intelligent conversation, with nuthin but mental midgets!
no, I'm not saying everyone is a mental midget, but THAT is exactly what I'm talking about,
the young simply cannot wait for experience and knowledge, they "know it all" from birth,
and the old guys, get so tired of the "know it alls" they cop an attitude, and refuse to help the "know it alls"
everyone gets an attitude over the slightest annoyance, and as experienced by the G body thread,
feels it is their duty to let everyone know how the cow ate the cabbage ( even it they do not know the complete TRUTH)
Then name calling, etc, etc.
I was working with my former employer and Brian in getting 18 in GNX style wheels made, but why? only to have the "elite'
criticize them?
I guess as you age , your tolerance for BS is diminished, and desire for new and better toys just goes away.
from 8 TR's now to just one, and an LS motored car ( disliked by some)
sitting to the patio, good cup of joe, watching the sunset, and NO ONE telling me lies., is better and better everyday!

... My car is still powered by the factory V6 and I don't intend on changing that. But, IMO, the LS hate drives some people away. It's being done for a reason. To go fast, cheap. Ironically, that's one key thing that made the GN way cool to start with. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than a Vette and would handle up on it badly. LS engines have a great support system and are very tried and true. But if a LS GN shows up on the internet (or anywhere, really), purists come out of the woodwork and blow head gaskets all over the place. They then enjoy talking mad shit about how the young buck is too mechanically stupid to know how to make the V6 fast, so he took the easy way out, when fact of the matter is, a lot of people who like these cars also enjoy using modern tech to work smarter, not harder. It's like watching devolution to a degree. The guys who were cutting edge in the 80s & 90s are turning into the old, crotchety 60s/70s muscle car guys who complained and cried about the TR when it came out.

Agreed, I saw this GTO (below) at one of the Captree weekly summer cars shows on Long Island a few years back and most of guys passing by were talking all sorts of sh*t about it having a chevy motor and that the owner ruined a piece of history. I was apparently part of the minority who thought it was amazing, creative and was a restoration specimin to behold. Who knows what shape the original engine was in or if the LS2 was the original intent. Being a modern GTO owner I had the utmost appreciation for where the engine and sets came from.

IMG_5668.jpg

IMG_5667.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

My two cents, as an in between young and old guy, gurus hate newbs and newbs get turned off by the arrogance of the gurus. Also as mentioned, this is happening in general society. Also worth noting, only the garage queen cars that soon went be usable as cars anyway, bring any money and this pattern will continue. Moral? Drive it while you still can. And I bet there are a ton of searches this board supports. There are only so many things to break!

Agreed, I saw this GTO (below) at one of the Captree weekly summer cars shows on Long Island a few years back and most of guys passing by were talking all sorts of sh*t about it having a chevy motor and that the owner ruined a piece of history. I was apparently part of the minority who thought it was amazing, creative and was a restoration specimin to behold. Who knows what shape the original engine was in or if the LS2 was the original intent. Being a modern GTO owner I had the utmost appreciation for where the engine and sets came from...
That is a bad ass car! Purist or not, how someone couldn't appreciate the work and finished product is beyond me.

I wonder if hot rodders of way back had to listen to the old guys tell them if they knew how to train their horses better, they wouldn't need those newfangled "engines" to go fast. Taking that easy way out using combustion and fuel as opposed to good, old fashioned actual horse power was just for punk kids who didn't know better.