Where has the intelligent discussion gone?

Only having been a member since 2012, but perusing quietly since 2005 or so, what I see lately is "common" questions asked that the search engine will answer (when it works). I bought my first GN in May of '87, and it seems the "camps" of guru's have just entrenched themselves into their way of thinking, and if you're not for "me" your kinda of against me.

I have been called out on the limited information I have provided which was purely mechanical, not GN specific, and some of it was rabid. I was an ASE certified mechanic at one point in life. Kinda keeps me from wanting to post.

I value this site and it's treasure trove of info, but I don't post much anymore other then to comment;) If I was 20 years younger, I'd go to work for Lou or Nick, and do oil changes and sweep the floors, just to have some of their essence and knowledge rub off! My 02. Cheers!

BTW, that Goat is the Sh@t

Last edited:
Can't speak for the "Tech" aspect of the forum, but I can speak for myself. And for "ME", I tend to stay away from certain topics because of the trend that I see happening, seems more to do with vendor bashing and for members to get in on each other and making things personal. I'm not here for that. I will quicker leave then waste my time and effort arguing with someone over something as simple as a car.....

Can't speak for the "Tech" aspect of the forum, but I can speak for myself. And for "ME", I tend to stay away from certain topics because of the trend that I see happening, seems more to do with vendor bashing and for members to get in on each other and making things personal. I'm not here for that. I will quicker leave then waste my time and effort arguing with someone over something as simple as a car.....
X2 on this statement usually the guys that are really out there doing the R&D work id rather pm them and talk on phone for real 1 on 1 information. Always learn something new every year .

who u kidding Bison..... this is the only thing on ur mind:p

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Yeah, exactly…like this stupid, useless thread: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/turbo-muffler-bearings.422418/ :poop:
Unfortunately, it's the kind of thing that takes away some "seriousness" of the site…People come here hoping to find some "intelligent, helpful" info for their turbo Buicks and this is they what they find...(n)

Claude. :rolleyes:

That's no big deal as long as they keep that kind of stuff off the serious treads.
There's a place and a time for everything.

it's just a matter of having the maturity to know the difference.

Lil discussion.....Oil cooler or not. I say yes because I beat on my car on the street and the oil gets dam hot so it needs all the help it can get. That being said the cooler I use is a stacked plate and has a tstat that circles the oil before the cooler until it reaches 180. I keep the water temp around 170-190 and this puts the oil in the 195 -210 range which is perfect for the oils flow and to boil off moisture and some combustion contaminates that will cook off as well. For a strip car I can see where its not needed tho.

Last edited:
it probably doesn't help that you can get logged off the board by merely hitting the "back" button... hell, i got logged off while typing out a response the other day..

everything that needs to be said about these cars has already been said: when i got my T Type in '04 and found this place, it was thriving with a lot of good technical back and forth going on. the people that owned these cars tended to be more old school hands on types of guys: we understood how to diagnose a problem using a screwdriver handle as a stethoscope and a vacuum gauge to check the valves, but didn't necessarily understand how the electrons buzzing around in that little box in the kickpanel made the car run.. in the decade since that time, younger people that grew up "diagnosing" a car by going to Autozone and having the counter guy plug in a scanner are getting their hands on these cars. they also grew up in a world where you could just go online and have someone spoonfeed them the answer to all their problems without the need to actually figure something out.. they might ask a question, but they never give any feedback on whether the responses were helpful or they get defensive and just go away when someone tells them that they need to learn how to figure some things out on their own.

oh, yeah: get off my lawn with your hippity hop and rockety roll music...

one other thing i've noticed on this site in particular over the years: as a whole, y'all tend to frown on new ideas. i get that you know what has worked in the past, but the way some new approaches to making these cars better are shot down out of hand without any real explanations about why it won't work better than what's already been done 1000 times just comes across as rude. honestly, what was the last truly innovative thing that has been accepted by most of the people that play with these cars? you guys still think it's cool to have a goofy looking box that looks like a radar detector velcro'ed to the side of the gauge cluster or on top of the radio pod like it's still 1988- when i asked what anyone thought about making a readout for the Scanmaster that fit in a standard gauge pod to keep the awesome interiors of these cars looking a little bit cleaner a few years back i was all but shouted off the site for being a dumb stupidhead..

when i asked what anyone thought about making a readout for the Scanmaster that fit in a standard gauge pod to keep the awesome interiors of these cars looking a little bit cleaner a few years back i was all but shouted off the site for being a dumb stupidhead..

Hell thats a great idea. I bet the scanmaster could be made the size of a 2 1/16" gauge. But then with all the different appearance schemes of gauges nowadays what do you make it look like? Interchangeable bezels to pick from and a choice of black, white, carbon fiber, or aluminum colored faces? Sounds like that great idea would take a lot make happen. You could get a decal kit to apply whatever face you want on your gauge...hmmm.

Hell thats a great idea. I bet the scanmaster could be made the size of a 2 1/16" gauge. But then with all the different appearance schemes of gauges nowadays what do you make it look like? Interchangeable bezels to pick from and a choice of black, white, carbon fiber, or aluminum colored faces? Sounds like that great idea would take a lot make happen. You could get a decal kit to apply whatever face you want on your gauge...hmmm.

Some other gauges let you do that. My AEM afr gauge came with silver if I wanted to change it from black.

With all the open slots in our dash you would think we could get a setup to put in one side and discretely mount the buttons in the ashtray for example. Something similar to the volt gauge setup in the how to section. Why can't we get some options to stuff in these holes instead of useless lights and blank plugs? I'll be honest, I'm tired of having guages in my car all over the place.

With all the open slots in our dash you would think we could get a setup to put in one side and discretely mount the buttons in the ashtray for example. Something similar to the volt gauge setup in the how to section. Why can't we get some options to stuff in these holes instead of useless lights and blank plugs? I'll be honest, I'm tired of having guages in my car all over the place.
I've seen several cars in which the owners have found a way to mount a Scanmaster flush in the dash but the best I remember was the late Eric Shertz (Dynotech) who used a stock GM AM-FM only radio (NO cassette, see picture) and he mounted the Scamnaster inside the radio where the cassette mechanism would normally be. If you look at the picture below, there's a small rectangular panel with the words "Electronic Tuning" on it…He took that panel off (probably with a "Dremel" kind of tool and inserted the Scanmaster in there. Of course, it took a little tweaking here and but in the end, the result was very neat and also, the radio still worked ! (y) Unfortunately I don't have any pictures…:rolleyes:

Claude.:)
Unknown.jpeg

I stole the idea from Earl Brown to mount the scanmaster in the radio kit. Our radios leave a 1.5 din opening to be filled when you install an aftermarket radio. I installed a 1 din radio and mounted my Scanmaster and BoostC on top of it in that .5 din voided space. I liked that a ton more than perched on top of the radio pod.

What i’ve noticed is that a lot of the gurus stopped responding as often as they used to.

I know that most questions have been answered and some members are harder to deal with than others but that’s all par for the course.

It’s part of being a teacher. That’s what you, Bison, and many others are to us. Teachers.

Some students are harder to teach than others and some of us can be unruly at times but in the end most of us begin to understand and make something of our projects.

It’s not easy being teachers but if you’re going to be teachers, when you start being selective on what questions or members you respond to, it effects all students.

I’ve learned a lot from this site over the last 8 years.

thank you
D

Only having been a member since 2012, but perusing quietly since 2005 or so, what I see lately is "common" questions asked that the search engine will answer (when it works). I bought my first GN in May of '87, and it seems the "camps" of guru's have just entrenched themselves into their way of thinking, and if you're not for "me" your kinda of against me.

I have been called out on the limited information I have provided which was purely mechanical, not GN specific, and some of it was rabid. I was an ASE certified mechanic at one point in life. Kinda keeps me from wanting to post.

I value this site and it's treasure trove of info, but I don't post much anymore other then to comment;) If I was 20 years younger, I'd go to work for Lou or Nick, and do oil changes and sweep the floors, just to have some of their essence and knowledge rub off! My 02. Cheers!

BTW, that Goat is the Sh@t
What i’ve noticed is that a lot of the gurus stopped responding as often as they used to.

I know that most questions have been answered and some members are harder to deal with than others but that’s all par for the course.

It’s part of being a teacher. That’s what you, Bison, and many others are to us. Teachers.

Some students are harder to teach than others and some of us can be unruly at times but in the end most of us begin to understand and make something of our projects.

It’s not easy being teachers but if you’re going to be teachers, when you start being selective on what questions or members you respond to, it effects all students.

I’ve learned a lot from this site over the last 8 years.

thank you
D
10-4, like the old saying goes; one is taught is accordance to one's ability to learn...

It started out like this with me and my 87 GN ... I called a company told them what I wanted talked to their chip guy ! Joe Lubrant... He told me I needed to sell my car if I didn't know anything about it !

Glad I listened to him lol ! I still own said car

everyone has to start out somewhere. And needs the correct answers to lead them the way they are trying to follow