Where has the intelligent discussion gone?

bison

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
The tech forums have so little of this these days that we will likely hear crickets soon. Plenty of bs discussion available here but very little intelligent discussion going on. Post up if you have a solution or any clue as to why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No solution, can't fix stupid.

For example, at one time we had the best Transmission tech discussion on the web. Learned a lot from people like Chris and even Don W. Now nothing......

AG.

I would love to read some technical stuff. I've searched but haven't found any real good explanations on things like building the 2004r. Dual feeding? I hear all this stuff but would love to see a article about what to do, why, and preferably with pics. I know there is one sticky in the trans but really its just a description of parts.

But I also find the distracting thread amusing.

I see where Ken (turbo fabricator) was on the other night.
Reminded me of how much knowledge that doesn't post anymore. Mostly because some idiots want to argue not knowing what they're talking about or who they are talking to.

I think a lot of it is some wants to make you fell stupid and people hate to ask questions simple or not.
I agree with you tbone on this, I have seen some replies that most likely make people feel not so good about the question they asked. Some like bison and turbobitt go above and beyond to help out, I always try to remember that I was a newb at one time and someone took the time to help me out. But there does seem to be some loss in the more technical aspect of our forum kinda like the really fast guys allready know what there doing and a lot of the new players are only going so far in there builds.

I see where Ken (turbo fabricator) was on the other night.
Reminded me of how much knowledge that doesn't post anymore. Mostly because some idiots want to argue not knowing what they're talking about or who they are talking to.
This is part of it. I think some of the build or un-build (Mike E.) threads are awesome. More real world input data from those who have been there, done that, is what I'd like to see. Then again, some people don't like to share... Phil.

Sometimes the tech turns into BS arguments. I think some people avoid it because of that.
^^^My thoughts exactly. The few with any real knowledge to share just don't need the attitude that some give them. It just takes too much time and energy and zaps the life out of everyone except the idiot that started it all, usually. This thread is a prime example http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/replacing-factory-10-gauge-wire-did-wonders.329854/

RC is arguably one of, if not, the most respected individual in the Turbo Buick world and yet he has to come here to defend himself against some idiot(s) who refuses to accept what he's trying to teach? Who in their right mind would want to deal with that crap? It's not like he doesn't have better things to do with his time, I'm sure.

I would think the top tech people on this board wouldn't mind contributing more if not for the few that spoil it for everyone else.

I think all the "get up & go" has "gotten up & gone".
We have become dinosaurs in our time.
And so have our cars. Our community seems to grow less than before.
As with everything hobby & collectable related the difference
between a #1 Insert your favorite hobby, car, motorcycle, boat, off-road,
gun, knife, marble) and a # 2 & less has grown to what seems a large gap.
I do not believe that our cars have become more valuable in general,
but the front runners have gone up. I believe that we can thank some of
the auction houses for this.
New cars coming out have also help kill the go fast cars of yesteryear.
A much younger crowd than before can afford a more expensive car.
Currently, everybody is busy on the gun forums. (1911forum).
FWIW & IMHO.

Cars are old enough that lots of people have been there done that. Many of those who would build a max effort car have moved onto bigger and better things.

Yeah remeber what it was like before the great server crash when all of the tb user registrations were lost forever and everyone had to rejoin the board! .... Was around May 2001 i think.... Lots have changed and i dont come on much... Comes in spurts, but i have several different kinds of cars and this board and the TTA forum are the only ones I cruise on a somewhat regular basis, the other boards for other cars are just rediculous with people arguing about everything from catch cans to why someone else wrecked their car....what a drain.

I've been around here for about a 1 1/2 and have learned quite a bit on this board. When I want a definitive answer and an explanation I call Husek but I do like to see what others have to say or have said.

I've been told by several long time TR owners I've met or talked to that most (not all) of the real knowledgeable guys are gone meaning they don't post on the forum any longer. Probably because of the reasons listed above. I don't think we're alone though. I have a built Pontiac and a Mopar so I spend some time on those boards too. Same story pretty much.

To me the biggest difference between this board and say the Mopar or Pontiac version is this car has a longer learning curve. At least for me it does. I built and raced a 10 second Mopar naturally aspirated for several years and there's just less you need to know period! I think a couple things happen to newbies. 1) They read the board and get scared to touch the car. 2) The ones who take the leap and get bad results give up and go back to reason 1). No need for technical discussions any longer!

Personally I don't care if I ask a trivial question and get flamed. I never have here but I have seen it happen on every board I've been on. Who cares, there's always a decent person that will chime in and help out. If members are not asking questions that lead to a good technical discussion in fear of looking unknowledgeable then you need to suck it up and throw it out there.

I've said this before to also say that when you do get help do what they tell you. Don't be afraid of the truth and learn how to turn some wrenches by actually turning some wrenches. Take pictures of what you're doing (I love pictures) and post them up. I do this every time I have an issue and my threads get a lot of action because I'm putting in the wrench time. The experts love this and will chime in. That's a guarantee!

I'm always scanning the tech forum for new information. Sometimes the information is way above my knowledge but still feel it's important to try to understand or even ask a relevant question. Pictures are great too. I would like to see a thread like the turbo comparison one done on a dyno a few years ago. That was enlightening. I think a thread on an FAST system install and subsequent tuning would be very interesting. Tuning whether adjustable chip, SD2 or XFI always interests me. Probably most of our members are not mechanics by trade. Cause and symptoms of issues can elude and frustrate many. I say if you have good info post it up. More than a few will read. Unfortunately many good threads do get polluted by unrelated questions or disagreements. Differences of opinions is healthy but I hate it when it turns nasty. Just my take on this.

I think a lot of it is some wants to make you fell stupid and people hate to ask questions simple or not.

As a newer member who has only had my car a few months I agree that's part of it.
Also my plans are the same that's been done 1000 times before. Start with a scanmaster then fuel system, valve springs, timing belt etc etc. I've spent hours reading old threads and most of my questions have been answered.

First of all, this website has problems. It is so unbearably slow on my iPad, I hardly even bother to login when at home. Problem 2, is that I always have to re-login. Problem 3 is that I get redirected to other websites when I'm at work and that only happens at turbobuick.com. I would start a thread, but it won't be answered be the people that fix things here. If it is answered, I'll just be told to change browsers or that it's my computer. Do Shane or Jay even come here anymore?

My opinion (worth what you pay for it)
1. The best I can tell, no-one is building one of these cars right now. Maybe money, maybe the age of the cars.
2. I can search here (using google) and find anything I want. The search here sucks.
3. No real groundbreaking new products to speak of.
4. The racing sections are completely dead. My personal opinion is that there is nothing driving innovation there. TSM, TSO and all the other racing classes are tied down to a pretty strict set of rules. I'm not sure that this is a turbo buick only problem though. Innovation in drag racing is where 90% of the new camaro and mustang parts come from.
5. LS motors have so much following and mfg. support and they can be cheap. Everyone is strapped for cash and pumping money into a v6 is tough when an LS gives more hp per dollar.

Some new things that interest me that I haven't seen catching on here:
Holley EFI and pro-efi. They offer a lot that FAST doesn't. I love my XFI and have used it for a long time. It's dominant here and has been talked about over and over.
V-band inlet turbines. I think the class racing limits this a lot because 3 bolts are required in all but TSO and if the fast cars don't try it, most of the other guys won't risk the money. I would like to switch mine over, but I'm out of money and don't need another project to keep mine disabled.
Pro-Touring or whatever you want to call it. I guess that's what mine is now. I've posted my updates over on one of the PT forums and they all can't believe that most GN's are still so drag racing oriented. Only a couple other GN's have been done here or there, but everybody wonders why these cars are built to be so drag racing only oriented. Pro-touring doesn't have to mean autocross or road racing. Mine will be a driver/dragstrip car just not on big and little tires.

Last edited:
I would post more on this site but I feel out of place, mainly because my platform is a little different. But for what it's worth when it comes to pushrod turbo v6 this site is the best I have come across.

There's been a lot of problems logging on and staying logged in lately. I'm not hating on the powers that be but it doesn't help traffic.

Personally, I've been far busier with family than with the cars for the past couple years and I just don't have many questions anymore despite trying to debug a second car for my DD. I'd post a lot more quick replies to simple things but I simply can NOT log in at work when in break (most of my forum browsing time) and at home I get more errors than you can shake a stick at and it doesn't matter if it's on chrome or IE or this damn iPhone which is the only thing working for me at the moment.

Winter time makes me lock down and avoid the garage at all costs.