When relocating the battery to the trunk?

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1368061859.170441.jpg

and if it's a street car put it over the axle to minimize polar moment of inertia.

When the battery is behind the axle the mechanical advantage is multiplied to shove the ass end around.

think: the tail will wag the dog.

When the battery is behind the axle the mechanical advantage is multiplied to shove the ass end around.

If you'd like to see it in action, hold a bowling ball against your chest and spin around in circles.... Then stop spinning as fast as you can. (that's the battery close to the CofG).

Now hold the bowling ball in front of you at arms length and spin around in circles.... Then stop as fast as you can. (your arms deflecting like hell is the battery in the back of the trunk)

earlbrown said:

Think porsche 911 here

I also believe it needs to be attached to the frame somehow. I'm also interested in the specifics as I'm planning on this soon as well.

Using the switch will kill all power to the car, including the alternator field (which could keep the car running without the battery connected - so you need to cut that off too). If you need to retain radio memory, you'd need to run a separate wire. The ECM memory is not critical for the most part, and if you go with an aftermarket ECU, even less of an issue.

it needs to be boxed and vented to outside or you need to firewall the trunk from the rest of the car
the optimas shouldnt need the box or venting (just secure it properly) but the rules dont have anything written to exempt them so follow the rules

must be secured with min 3/8" hardware (no J hooks) , most kits come with the hardware needed ...summit or moroso box like what james has comes complete ... do not try to use a boat box with a plastic buckle strap
must have a cutoff on the positive cable
rules state cutoff should be push off and labeled though twist type lever switches do get through tech
switch must kill the motor ( and pump) when switched off . they should check it at tech
for chip memory run your orange ecm wire direct to battery positive post
i prefer to run the alternator direct to the positive battery post (6gauge or heavier)

If you only have a N2O bottle in the trunk would you still NEED (per the rules) a Firewall?
trying to plan this right.
My trunk will have N2O, ALKY and the Battery.
Id like to know the requirements per each individual item.
YES i do realize that if only one needs it i will have to something to meet the rules, BUT if only the battery then a simple sealed box will do. I would even box the ALKY tank as i fill it once every few months anyway.

Do you have a part# or link for your box?

Thanks for your help guys.

The ground comes from the battery bolted to the side if the spare tire well. On the other side there is a ground wire from there to the frame. Then from the front of the frame to the starter, and finally from the starter up to the back of the engine to a junction block.