Trunk Torsion Bars to Struts/Shocks For Fiberglass Deck Lid, 80s G Bodies Swap?

GNVYUS 1

Installing a fiberglass trunk lid on weaker shocks possible?

Well I'm not out of the woods, the damaged fiberglass truck was custom installed to the stock torsion bars. Body shop wants to know if there's an alternative to install the new deck lid, probably the 87 arms are too strong.

1980-83 G Body has struts or shocks correct?
Is this possible to swap over, are they weaker than our torsion bar for an ideal fiberglass trunk mod?

Thanks

Installing a fiberglass trunk lid on weaker shocks possible?

Well I'm not out of the woods, the damaged fiberglass truck was custom installed to the stock torsion bars. Body shop wants to know if there's an alternative to install the new deck lid, probably the 87 arms are too strong.

1980-83 G Body has struts or shocks correct?
Is this possible to swap over, are they weaker than our torsion bar for an ideal fiberglass trunk mod?

Thanks
My son bought the trunk lid shock “conversion” kit many years ago for my GN and I never installed it. Kit #20477735. Installation instruction sheet dated 11-1-83. The shocks are much fatter than those used today. Shocks are dry and I cannot compress nor extend them by hand but they are 40 years old. Are they too strong for a fiberglass lid? I really don’t know. If you have any interest in this kit just let me know.
Dean

i removed one torsion bar from the hook slot (driver side worked easier for me ) and added about 3" extender to lessen the spring pressure (i used the bracket from a turbo compressor)
bolted the bracket to the slot and slid torsion bar in other end . worked like a steel lid

I have that GM kit installed- and I recall the lift being like “120lbs of leverage support”. You can’t compress them by hand as you noted… man, they’ve got to be too much for the ‘glass lid.

Rigging up a slimmer, more modern strut, with the right amount of lift support, has got to be a better option.

Looks like other G Body people have had good luck with using the Camaro fiberglass hood shocks and creating a system with them.

I'd imagine the fiber hood shocks I currently have would also work, problem is I think they're Kirbans and I can't find them on his website.

If I have a system made, it works, I'll create a new thread and see if the shop will offer it for us.

I like Pacecarta's idea too, retro fit something to current system.

Custom mounting brackets were made vs a new torsion bar setup. The normal mounting of the fiberglass trunk with the factory mounting points created little dimples in the top surface from torque.

New brackets displace the torque from the torsion bars over a greater area and should not only mount easier but eliminate the dimple from pressure etc.

Not sure if the shop kept the specs to make future ones or wants too, but I'll ask them.

I'll post a picture later in October when I get it back.

Here's the current torsion bar settings with the new fiberglass trunk...
Bottom row tooth slot on both sides

This setting actually raises the lid really slow, it's possible my brackets added enough weight to slow down the fast lifting I used to get.

Attachments

• 20231217_123034.jpg
    20231217_123034.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20231217_123029.jpg
    20231217_123029.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28