Whats the BEST way to tune?

christians87

Everywhere I have read on this forum everyone alwase agrees the best thing to do to our cars are to tune tune tune. Well what is the best way to tune our cars? I want to know so that I can get this down pat and be able to get my car performing at its best. With that said, how are all you guys going about tuning your cars to get the MOST out of it?

scanmaster, making sure your #'s are somewhere close to what there supposed to be and watching mv's,knock,iac,tps, and a-z...and crossing fingers when you go wot...

The best way to tune would be with an ECU like FAST which allows you to have control over everything and has decent resolution. You get to target certain parameters and then go back and look at your data to see how much adjustment you need to add in to minimize correction. Or change your targets. I dialed in the WOT fuel on the pass in my sig with about 7-8 seconds of WOT previous to the pass. The fuel correction was less than 1% throughout the run. A scanmaster that reads narrowband is a dinosaur as far as a tuning tool. Didnt say chips won work but they are nothing like a FAST when you want quick accurate results. Getting the most out of it requires making one small adjustment at a time and looking at duty cycle and quarter mile performance from the 60' all the way to 1320'.

Lots of variables when it comes to tuning. First things first, before you start tuning, make sure everything is as it should be. I have chased my tail on a couple of occasions trying to sort out problems to find out that something basic was off. Check here: Quick Reference Page For the '86/'87 Turbo Regals and '89 Turbo T/A to make sure everything is as it should be. Also consider the spring cleaning guide as well.

Before you start cranking the boost up, make sure you have enough fuel. I take the fuel pressure gauge I got from caspers and stick it under my winshield wiper to make sure the fuel rises on a 1:1 ratio with the boost. If you have your base FP set at 40psi with the line on, it should read at 55psi at 15 lbs of boost.CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc. If you dont get a 1:1 ratio, you need to upgrade/repair your fuel system.

Once that is done you need a way to monitor what is going on with your car. Most importantly, to me anyways, is monitoring knock. I try to tune for no knock. Knock kills head gaskets and can damage your crank, bearings and pistons. I would rather give up a little bit of speed than drive over the crankshaft anyday.

If you are using a scanmaster, keep an eye on your O2 millivolts at the top of 3rd gear. All cars are different, some might knock at 760, some at 730??? A wide band O2 sensor will give you a more accurate reading I believe. From what I have read and done, 11.0 under boost is safe. Depends on how hard you want to push your car. Lean is mean, but dont get greedy. Knock under lots of boost can have devastating consequences. With the new 6.0 chip from Tubotweak, you can set what you want your WOT Air/Fuel ratio to be and the chip does all of the work for you. TurboTweak Home

How you actually do the tuning depends on what you have to tune with. For most of using still using the ECM and an aftermarket chip, you can change your timing and fuel. Add timing = more power, but again watch out for knock. Reduce fuel = more power making it more lean, but again watch out for knock.

I also run a LS1 MAF, using the translator from Full Throttle: FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Items Page which also allows you to change your fuel and timing, but not as much as you can with the chip. I prefer to make changes in the chip rather than altering my static fuel pressure at the rail or with the MAF translator. The changes I make in the translator are much more subtle than the changes in the chip, so I guess you could say they are for more fine tuning.

I use the Powerlogger from Full Throttle as well to datalog. With my boost gauge, knock sensor and scanmaster it is sensory overload for me. I watch what my boost gauge is doing and watch out for the lights from the knock gauge while trying to keep the car on the road or in the groove. Some even use an audible knock sensor. With the powerlogger I can review what happened on that particular run afterwards. I dont recall everything it monitors, but it is more than enough to get your car to get your car is a great state of tune.

Some can get there cars to 20# of boost on 93 octane. I have pushed my car to over 30psi on C16 and Q16. Alky will be my next project so I can keep my car at 25psi all the time. I hope this helps and if you have any specific questions just ask.

Powerlogger + wideband 02

Scanmaster is pretty worthless for tuning, IMO. If you upgrade it and run it through a Powerlogger it becomes a little more useful, but the refresh rate is still too slow to be useful.

With the newer version scanmaster and powerlogger, it updates much faster. Like 5 frames per second, or something like that. Much better than the older version.

I know, and I said that. 5 frames a second still isn't enough data to tune from, and it only saves one frame. It's good to have to keep an eye on after you've got the car dialed in, but for actually tuning it, it's worthless to me.

I say Direct scan 18 frames per second and logging capabilities so you can take a look at your ran afterwards and make changes accordingly..

Another Powerlogger vote. Direct Scan is ok but it's a pain unless you already have a legacy laptop. In good working order. With a battery that lasts more than 5 minutes lol.

One thing Powerlogger does better is accept inputs from outside sources for the datalog. This means that you can connect a wideband, and the signal from the 3-bar your alky kit is using, and get your A/F ratio and boost referenced against RPM, speed, load, etc. I know it doesn't sound like much, but once you have all that data in one place and all cross-referenced, you'll be spoiled and wonder how you ever lived in the stone ages of looking at all that stuff separately.

I have a egt gauge but although its showing the temp I dont know what im looking at. I read that it is very useful for tuning and that is why i bought it and installed it. How can I use this to tune my car andwhat kind of temps should I see on my car If it is properly tuned? Thanks.

I have a egt gauge but although its showing the temp I dont know what im looking at. I read that it is very useful for tuning and that is why i bought it and installed it. How can I use this to tune my car andwhat kind of temps should I see on my car If it is properly tuned? Thanks.
An EGT is more important when tuning with an alky kit. Without alky: A Wideband O2 will keep you out of trouble as far as too rich or lean, and you'll start knocking(KR on your logger) before you melt a piston. Our cars seem to run best somewhere around 1550 degrees. But- It's easy to cool the exhaust by adding to much alcohol(or alky/water). That reduces the turbo's efficiency, which will slow you down.

so try to keep it somewhere in the neighborhood of 1550*? Also where is the proper place to have to egt sensor placed to get the most accurate readings? I currently have mine just straped to the side of the dp because I dont want to drill a hole in the stocker. But now that i am going to soon get a 3in dp I will install it there if that is the right place.

EGT probe needs to be pre-turbo. passenger side header around the 02 sensor area will work. as stated above a powerlogger with a LC-1 will work well real well with a TT chip. if you want to get the most out of your combo get a FAST or BS3 system. but with that being said there cars in the 9's with a stock ecm

so try to keep it somewhere in the neighborhood of 1550*? Also where is the proper place to have to egt sensor placed to get the most accurate readings? I currently have mine just straped to the side of the dp because I dont want to drill a hole in the stocker. But now that i am going to soon get a 3in dp I will install it there if that is the right place.
That's a good place for the Wideband O2 sensor, but the EGT should be in the header. Where the #2 and #4 primaries come together is a convenient location. Easy to route the leads from there also.

best way?

XFI
infinite tuning abilities
target air fuel settings
wideband o2 reads and xfi corrects
not for everyone but...the best way to tune
-dan