What would you replace your GN with?

Ya know, the whole "going fast with class" thing used to have meaning, because back in the day a "fast" car was usually ill equipped option wise, and was often loud, hot, uncomfortable, and rough. Buicks had more creature comforts and didn't have to be all the bad things that fast cars were.

Now, we have 9 second street driven LS1's, 9 second street driven mustangs, late model trucks running 10's, and a whole host of other fast late model iron.

Many of these cars have not only the same options and comforts a buick has, but more. My Z28 is in the shop right now, it will come out still complete with A/C, leather, stereo, power everything, cruise, and somewhere north of 800 horsepower.

I think now the "class" should refer to the buick enthusiasts' attitudes, since its not really unique to have something fast and well optioned and comfortable. And while most buick guys I've met have been among the best guys you'll ever meet, as new owners come along and the die hards fade out the "class" sometimes follows.

Back to the subject at hand. If you want something that holds value, don't drive it. If you want fun, give up on the whole "return on investment" mentality and buy what you want.

Oddly enough, everyone wants to talk about how well the buick holds value or is going up in value, but I sold mine for about half what I had in it. My camaro will have a similar amount of money invested but I will be able to sell it for much more than the buick.

I have great respect for John Delorean, he tried singlehandly to put a country to work, for a dream that he believed in. however, I would rather push a turbo Buick around the block than own a Delorean.

For 15-18K I'd get a 98, 99 or 2000 C5 vette. They are at the bottom right now as far as price goes.

I have the Trailblazer SS (well my wife does) and it would be a definate vehicle to replace a TR with. All stock mine went 13.90's, put a tune, CAI and a converter and you're looking at mid 12's.

Next on my list would be an 03/04 Cobra or a C5.

70 chevelle SS or another GM big block car, otherwise I would have to stick with TR's!! No other car has the ability to be rare fast and fairly inexpensive. plus, you will never lose your money as long as you take care of it!

UNGN said:
Good luck getting 50 12 second passes out of one before you break something.

That 'May' or may not be true...and I also hate to RAIN on your parade........BUT the fact remains that NOTHING for less than $40,000 comes close (ET wise)......and a BONE STOCK sedan that runs 12's ( the GTO may be close, but low 13's are NOT 12's)...sounds like muscle to me...

...hey don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger! :D

Why don't you go buy an EVO then? I bet you'd look manly in that machine. I bet my head hits the headliner in it.

I'm sure some guys have hit 12's in a stock Evo, just like some guys hit 12's in bone stock LS1 F bodies, but its just not the norm. I see alot of Evo's at the track, the stock ones have never hit 12's while I'm there.

And the new GTO's are 400 horse, I'm sure we'll see some 12 second passes out of stock ones. Not to mention how well they respond to mods.

turbosam...Personally I could give a CRAP about the EVO's...

I'm simply pointing out that the NEW '06's have a ****LOAD more horsepower than previous years and are NOW a 12sec car...I'm sure most folks probably don't realize that yet....thats all...

240z

my buick is not my daily driver so i would probably do something stupid like a twin turbo SBC 240z datsun or maybe a C4 vette along the same lines. i had a 72 240Z and i sold it like a dumb@$$ wish i had it back then i could build it AND keep the GN. if money only grew on trees. :rolleyes: jeremy

Cars that might fit the bill here

1) 69-70 Chevelle SS ( find a guy getting a divorce who needs to unload asap )
2) Mk4 Supra ( probably too pricey )
3) Syclone/Typhoon ( ty too heavy )
4) 3000gt ( holds value, but too heavy for my taste )
5) Chevy 454 truck, still around 10K and damn its a 454 in an open bed truck :eek:

I like the EVO, but agree that muscle really refers to a certain generation of cars IMO, which means the new GTO is not one either though. And the EVO can easily take 50 hard launches, AMS shop EVO lays down mega HP on the stock drivetrain and no suspension breaks.

I have a friend that had a 500 HP Evo. Before it Grenaded and he sold it to a kid and got on with his life he ran 11.8's in the 1/4. That is real impressive for 2.0L but isn't impressive at all considering the $60K he had in his hand grenade.

What good is a new car that costs less than $30K that runs "12 second 1/4 miles" if it can only do it a couple time before it breaks and then the dealer won't honor your warranty?

A used Cobra will cost less and be quicker/faster in the long run.

DR.BOOSTER said:
And the EVO can easily take 50 hard launches, AMS shop EVO lays down mega HP on the stock drivetrain and no suspension breaks.

There is a differnce between a high hp tuner car (with huge cam) and stock car if they both are running 12's.

The high hp car can launch soft and use the HP to make up time. My friend evo had no torque below 5K RPM. It was honda like.

The stock car has to do a 7K clutch dump to run the same number (especially if it only has 300 hp) and it Does have torque.

I'm sure most tuner shops don't advertise when they break stuff, either. It's not good for business.

Everything breaks sooner or later when you race it. Doesn't matter who makes it, new car or old muscle car.

'01 up C5 or an LS1 F-body. A lot of car for what you pay, and extremely easy to modify.

Camero Concept

I'd definitely consider the new Camero Concept design. That one bad a$$ looking car. Hope they make it.

Wells said:
I have great respect for John Delorean, he tried singlehandly to put a country to work, for a dream that he believed in. however, I would rather push a turbo Buick around the block than own a Delorean.

He was a cocaine dealer.

Pronto said:
Everything breaks sooner or later when you race it. Doesn't matter who makes it, new car or old muscle car.

very true

people dogging on the evo are just haters with white letter tires and CB antennas on their T/R's :D

No stock turbo buick ever ran even close to 12s on pump gas, and any car with 50 passes in the 12s is pushing the drivetrain hard. My fbody was snapping axle shafts like it was cool running mid 13s with a stick. Newer Fbods have the same problem. I hear the GTO weak link is the rear suspension too, not to mention its a 4000 lb behemoth. Lets not forget any 03/04 Cobra owner looking to go fast trades his IRS with the solid axle from a GT car. Ive seen several cobras break their rear at the track.

krom said:
He was a cocaine dealer.
---------------------
krom;
With a little help from the government setting him up, that is true. He was also a top GM designer for years. There is no way that I can justify what he did, but I still respect him for some of the good things that he did. Unfortunately, I still would rather push a broken Buick around the block that drive a running Delorean across the street. I know that we agree on that, Krom. Good hearing from you. Hope that everything is going ok for you.