What would you replace your GN with?

Pablo said:
I hear the GTO weak link is the rear suspension too,

The GTO IRS is fine if you know how to drive. A friend of mine has seen sub 1.5 60' times on a weekly basis without breakage.

NJVetteGuy said:
The GTO IRS is fine if you know how to drive. A friend of mine has seen sub 1.5 60' times on a weekly basis without breakage.

Sub 1.5 60' times are accomplished by cars with 7 5/8th 10 bolt rears but I would say thats an exception rather than the rule

Not saying the IRS isnt strong, to be honest, just like i said, I only heard they were weak but one example isnt really indicative of any trend.

E55 benz... low 12 sec 4 door :D ..

92 Glant VR4 ... old school 4 door turbo, with some upgrades will run low 11's :cool: ..

I've seen a few of them at NED but none in the 11s. I believe the best I've seen is a low 13/high12. They are a sleeper though.

GTO. Me too styling. Heavy. IRS. No trunk whatsoever. Weird, Aussie controls. IMO not a drag car. But a fun, comfortable, good handling, good braking car, especially with the Tremec. And you can get a leftover 05 (400 HP) for approaching $25K if you do some legwork.

strike

:)

Hey..sorry if I offended anyone on the EVO suggestion...and moving on...I'm just so Dam disappointed in the GTO at 3900Lbs., all but Killing any decent performance..it's almost as if they INTENTIONALLY added the weight to sway the HARDCORE racers..US ..toward the Dam $45,000 Vette if we want that
stock 12sec performance :mad:

Well, TClassic, let me change your mind. Thanks to safety and optional equipment and other considerations, car are getting heavier and heavier. Check the weights of comparable performance cars - especially Mopars. Hell, GTO may come to be viewed as a lightweight compared to those pigs.

Corvette is a different bird in that GM has invested huge money in making the car as light as practical. You pay for it in the MSRP, but even so, they are a hell of a value, and really have remarkable power to weight numbers, especially ZO6. As they say, there are only 2 ways to make a car go faster, power and weight. And weight removal is much more expensive - which is one reason why the masses don't own Corvettes.

But you can't throw 20 air bags, poop-piles of steel, NAV, 500 watt sound systems, collision avoidance, IRS, etc. at cars and expect them to scale like last gen Camaros. That ship has sailed.

strike

:)

Pablo said:
very true

people dogging on the evo are just haters with white letter tires and CB antennas on their T/R's :D

No stock turbo buick ever ran even close to 12s on pump gas, and any car with 50 passes in the 12s is pushing the drivetrain hard. My fbody was snapping axle shafts like it was cool running mid 13s with a stick. Newer Fbods have the same problem. I hear the GTO weak link is the rear suspension too, not to mention its a 4000 lb behemoth. Lets not forget any 03/04 Cobra owner looking to go fast trades his IRS with the solid axle from a GT car. Ive seen several cobras break their rear at the track.

I'm not a "Hater", I'm just being realistic. If someone thinks they can buy a stock Evo, drive it to the track and crack off a 12.99 without a 6,000 RPM clutch dump, they are kidding themselves.

In the Car and Driver test, the "street start" 5-60 mph of the new Evo is 2 seconds slower than the 0-60. That means the clutch is doing all the work.

Somepeople will pay $30K for a new car and then beat it like a rented mule, I wouldn't. I also wouldn't recommend this to anyone and I definately wouldn't recommend buying a used one (unless it was dirt cheap).

I thought my friends was cool and it layed down pretty impressive numbers, until I found out what he had in it and there are a lot easier/cheaper ways to go fast.

i found mine

for me it would have to be a BMW-M5 :biggrin: :D after driving my brother-in-laws car i would love to have one 500hp stock, 7 speed tranny, awesome car but i know it's about $100k :eek: maybe i'll try to buy it off him cheap hahah :biggrin:

UNGN said:
I'm not a "Hater", I'm just being realistic. If someone thinks they can buy a stock Evo, drive it to the track and crack off a 12.99 without a 6,000 RPM clutch dump, they are kidding themselves.

In the Car and Driver test, the "street start" 5-60 mph of the new Evo is 2 seconds slower than the 0-60. That means the clutch is doing all the work.

Somepeople will pay $30K for a new car and then beat it like a rented mule, I wouldn't. I also wouldn't recommend this to anyone and I definately wouldn't recommend buying a used one (unless it was dirt cheap).

I thought my friends was cool and it layed down pretty impressive numbers, until I found out what he had in it and there are a lot easier/cheaper ways to go fast.

fair enough, thats interesting about the difference in street start vs launch times

if you are just looking to go fast then I would say get a fox body

Ssvalleyboy said:
Got to be the 96 SS impala no question about it. Got to be the best car not mentioned(I'm disgusted).
oh well you'll get over it, heck your probably over it by now! :biggrin:

Some cool suggestions here. I'm not a Corvette guy either though the C5 really is a helluva car for the money. Same with the F-bodies.

WakkoSS said:
If you decided to sell your TR, what would you buy as a replacement?
What would YOU get?
Well, I did sell mine and I bought a new GTO. :D :eek: