What would you do if you were in my shoes??

DOUBAD RACIN1

20180203_124205.jpg
20180203_124647.jpg
Okay well here's the deal I finally got my oil pan off of my 1985 hot air hybrid and come to find out the motor is toast spun a bearing and now I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I want to buy a 109 reman long block which will cost me no more than 1600 with a three-year unlimited mile warranty or to actually build what i have..
2000 grand is my budget...

View attachment 316895 View attachment 316896 I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I want to buy a 109 reman long block which will cost me no more than 1600 with a three-year unlimited mile warranty or to actually build what i have..
2000 grand is my budget...

Ya for a .040 over bore.. who knows what pistons an cam and maybe or maybe not a turbo crank. BUT it has a warranty so I guess thats the way to go. Building yours for $2k I don't see it. These simple rebuilds can open up a can of NIGHTCRAWLERS = $$$$$$ Good luck.

Ya for a .040 over bore.. who knows what pistons an cam and maybe or maybe not a turbo crank. BUT it has a warranty so I guess thats the way to go. Building yours for $2k I don't see it. These simple rebuilds can open up a can of NIGHTCRAWLERS = $$$$$$ Good luck.[/QUOTE

Ive talked to them and they assure me that it is a turbo crank and stock Cam and lifters

I don't think 2000 is enough.

Even if serious performance is not your goal, but you are looking for something that is put together by someone who has intimate knowledge of these engines, I would look to have 109 built by one of the preferred Buick specific performance shops.

I would double the budget, at least.

You know what they say.........Pay now, or pay later.

I would call Nick at Arizona GN and see if he has stock style short block for sale. I would rather save and pay once then play Russian roulette with an inexperienced turbo Buick machinist.

I would call Nick at Arizona GN and see if he has stock style short block for sale. I would rather save and pay once then play Russian roulette with an inexperienced turbo Buick machinist.

Go for it. If you're just going to drive it around to shows and stuff. If you want to hammer on it then I wouldn't trust it. Read the warranty to make sure you know whats covered and how to prove you've broken in the engine etc correctly.

surprised no one suggested you toss a chevy in it ..

one thing you are forgetting is yours is a 14 bolt , the 109 is a 20 you will need a core 109 or youll be paying the core charge too.. also once you have the 109 youll need the pan and timing cover as yours wont work on the 109,
for a no $$ budget find another hotair motor, would be cheap as they usually go cheap but then you still could end up needing to rebuild it ..par for course with a shallow pocket build

whatever you go with prime the bitch with a drill before you touch the ignition key

I'd just find another hotair engine that's not destroyed.

They go for damn near pennies except for the guys that thing they have a goldmine because they have a ''Grand National engine''.

It never hurts to have spare parts to pick from.

Ya for a .040 over bore.. who knows what pistons an cam and maybe or maybe not a turbo crank. BUT it has a warranty so I guess thats the way to go. Building yours for $2k I don't see it. These simple rebuilds can open up a can of NIGHTCRAWLERS = $$$$$$ Good luck.[/QUOTE

Ive talked to them and they assure me that it is a turbo crank and stock Cam and lifters

They go for damn near pennies except for the guys that thing they have a goldmine because they have a ''Grand National engine''.

Check your inbox

X2..

A stock rebuild will cost less than $2k if you can use your block and crank. I’m not so hot on a reman block with a warranty. You can drop in a fresh rebuild and it be reliable.

Did you pull any caps yet? How do you know a bearing spun? And what are the pieces in the first pic from?