What`s the best way to cure slow electric windows

6banger

Slower Traffic Keep Right
Looking for the best experiences people have had in replacing, or whatever was needed to fix the problem. The electric windows on my `87 T Type are the slowest I`ve ever seen. They almost come to a stop at times.:mad:

Thanks for any help,
Jim

suscribed to this........I have to pull on them if I want them ALL the way up....this just started a few months ago

put manual crank up window regulators in it?

i think slow windows are caused by weak motors, which are caused by crappy wiring and switches. all the contact points on the regulator and guide mechanisms could also just use a good dab of lithium grease.

comon for the motors to just be tired....most parts warehouses have-em...150.00. i just lubed and greased everything,tracks ,gears, linkages,even waxed the glass..seems to be a little better,for now.

Is your car faster in the 1/4 mile than it is rolling up the window?

I got a new motor from Autozone for my passenger side and it sped things up.

I replaced the motors in my last car... it was a MF'r... I unfortunately have big meathook hands, they do not go too far for working in tight spaces.

The brushes in the motors just wear out over time, pretty much the same for all cars, some are better than others. I work at a place that does a ton of power windown repair, and believe it or not no G-bodys ever come in. Our bread and butter are late model Ford products, especially Towncars and Grand Marquis, I've had instances where all 4 regs need to be replaced, lets be glad we don't own those:D

But for the most part, the regs themselves on our cars don't usally "go bad", guides need to be replaced and such, they don't usually break like later model cable regs. The tracks can get slightly tweaked from age or even slamming doors too hard, and sometimes that can cause the glass to ride against the molding, thus causing the motor to work harder. I have place down here in FL, that sells reman. motors for pretty cheap, and have had good results, if anyone is interested I can dig up the number

A Kenne-Bell Boost-A-Pump putting out 16 volts at high current to them all the time would most likely solve 90% of the problem. :cool:

The other 10% would be lubrication or bad motors.

You could use an aftermarket voltage to voltage (high current model 30A) converter on that circuit to increase the voltage to the windows.

Probably cost $150 or so, plus your labor to install it on that circuit.

The only time my turbo gets lubed is when the windows are down in my cars, gotta have the motor running at idle a bit, for the extra alternator voltage to roll them up. :biggrin:

I bought the early regal motors that are big and heavy. But my windows don't go any faster? Maybe I should put them in and let you guys know how it works out!

Don't mind mine for going down, got window expresses on both sides. Up is another story though, not ultra slow but could be better.

Yes, I can run the 1/4 faster than I can roll up the windows. Probably turn around and the guy at the shack could slide my timeslip through the window before it was all the way up.

All of the above is true, but our windows were slow from the factory. It's natural. And of course they just get slower every year. The fix for that was to get new motors, and use the faster window harnesses from kirbans. I believe it gave ya a bit more juice to the motors. I have em, but havent put them on yet. Pete serio was the man for this problem. He knew everything. He works for kirbans I think.... ?

I used the wiring from Kirbans and it only helped a little bit. On another car I pulled some motors from Mid 80's Cadillac's and my problems were over. The motors we only slightly larger and used the same GM harness- Plug and Play. No problems. $10 bucks or so at the local yard.

I just replaced the drivers side power window motor in mine. I found that GM provided a dimpled spot right over the third bolt that holds the motor to the regulator, perfect for a drill bit starting point. I took a small metal hole saw and made my own opening right over the bolt. Sure made the removal and install of the motor much easier. The window now works, it did not before, but does not move up at "modern" speed. I am sure the GM mechanics loved this short cut on the flat rate time.

I used the wiring from Kirbans and it only helped a little bit. On another car I pulled some motors from Mid 80's Cadillac's and my problems were over. The motors we only slightly larger and used the same GM harness- Plug and Play. No problems. $10 bucks or so at the local yard.
Was the Caddy a two door, or four door. Does it matter??

Yea that`s what I was looking for, more info on the Caddy motor. I don`t want to spend all the time and effort just to make the windows go a little faster than they are now.
I understand the contacts will have corrosion and such, but I`ve had other Buicks from the early 80`s and their windows were fine, it seems like the problem is with our cars in particular.
Do the Montes have the same problem?

Thanks,
Jim

Interested in the cure!!
My Pass is SO SLOW it takes about 10 secs!! Drivers side about 5 sec.
My Ford Windstar about 1 sec!!
That Sucks that a Ford minivan can beat my Buick LTD!!!

All of the mid 80's mid and full size GM cars have pretty much the same harness on the motor, and the motors will physically bolt up, albeit w/ some small modification. And it also wouldn't matter 2 or 4 door, front or rear, they are all the same motors. Except you'd need to get the correct side, DS or PS. They came designated L or R in the part number to differentiate the sides

The brushes in the motors just wear out over time, pretty much the same for all cars, some are better than others. I work at a place that does a ton of power windown repair, and believe it or not no G-bodys ever come in. Our bread and butter are late model Ford products, especially Towncars and Grand Marquis, I've had instances where all 4 regs need to be replaced, lets be glad we don't own those:D

But for the most part, the regs themselves on our cars don't usally "go bad", guides need to be replaced and such, they don't usually break like later model cable regs. The tracks can get slightly tweaked from age or even slamming doors too hard, and sometimes that can cause the glass to ride against the molding, thus causing the motor to work harder. I have place down here in FL, that sells reman. motors for pretty cheap, and have had good results, if anyone is interested I can dig up the number

I'm interested. My drivers side window is so slow, by the time the window goes up I've driven clear across Osceola county......from Seminole!!