What rear gear ratio are yall running?

corkynjimmy

I am in the process my first tb build with an 85 t type. What rear gear ratio are yall running for 1/8 mile? Car is pretty stock right now but im in the process of buying some go fast parts. I have a 9" rear that is laying around out of a malibu with 4.30 gears but I think thats a little too steep for a turbo car. I'm thinking probably 3.73 but with me running 1/8 mile Im not too sure. Any help is appreciated

The stock 3:42's will be sufficient for some time. determine what hp/tq level at what rpm you are shooting for, then if necessary, you will be able to change from there.

I would keep what you have.

A 9" Will slow you down.

I have the stock 3.42 and have considered a 3.08

I just raced a guy at the track last wed.
He had an '85 regal, 355 V8 and a 7.5" posi 4.11. He pulled 1.80's 60's on DR and ran 12.90 going through the traps in second @ 7500.

I guess they can hold up to a point.

Any rear gear from 3.20-3.70 will produce about the same result with just about anyone who tries them. If the combo is optimized and the maximum tire is used and the trans ratios are selected for the application there is a lot of room for improvement. Small hyd cam with a turbo usually means you are using a lot of cylinder pressure to move the car.

I just raced a guy at the track last wed.
He had an '85 regal, 355 V8 and a 7.5" posi 4.11. He pulled 1.80's 60's on DR and ran 12.90 going through the traps in second @ 7500.

I guess they can hold up to a point.

7500rpm and 12.90 e.t. What a turd. The thing isn't making any power and about 40% less tq than hp. There are plenty of hyd cammed 350ci stock engines with bolt ons running considerably quicker and don't rev over 5600

It was a solid lifter with some odd ball cross ram intake on it.
That was in second gear. It was an old guy just having fun.

He asked me what I ran and I told him a 13:05 so he wanted to race me. OK I said but that was before I put the slicks on.
He was a little shocked when I slapped him with a 11:97.

I told him he should put the V6 back it in. He was a good sport.

It was a solid lifter with some odd ball cross ram intake on it.
That was in second gear. It was an old guy just having fun.

He asked me what I ran and I told him a 13:05 so he wanted to race me. OK I said but that was before I put the slicks on.
He was a little shocked when I slapped him with a 11:97.

I told him he should put the V6 back it in. He was a good sport.

His car needed a rear gear ratio in the mid 5's.

Your right but it was a srteet car on 93.
I didn't like my 3:73 in my camero. Can't think about a 5.xx on the street..

my nova went 7.19 with a 1.5 60' in the 1/8th 5600 rpm thru the traps 4.56 gear th350 and that was spinning after about 20' had suspension issues... would yank front tires then unload rear and spin. had caltracs just never had time to set them up. only made 6 passes and traded car for my 87 GN;)

Your right but it was a srteet car on 93.
I didn't like my 3:73 in my camero. Can't think about a 5.xx on the street..

That's why those who say there is no replacement for displacement are wrong. It's called a turbocharger.

How ya doing stranger. Are you planning on just doing 1/8 or will you try going with 1/4 once in a while?

A turbocharger or other force feed device is adding displacement.

I hope you're joking. To change displacement you need to physically alter the space inside the cylinder. Stuffing more air in it doesn't do that.