What oil weight should i use ?

434nova

Car is currently using 15w 50 but i cant seem to find that weight anywhere. I was thinking of using 10w 40 what do you guys think. Car has a rebuilt motor so it is not stock. I am not to sure on bearing clearances, and i cant get in touch with the previous owner. Car has billet mains, stock crank, reconditioned rods, trw forged pistons, billet hydraulic roller cam, gn1 heads, te45a turbo with all supporting mods. What is a good choice in oil weight for this combination. Also does thicker weight oil have effects on the turbo bearing and seals ? Thanks

I run either 10W-30 or 10W-40. 15W-50 is kind of heavy. What kind of oil pressure are you getting with the 15W-50 oil?

I run a mix of 10w30 and 10w40 to find my happy oil psi spot. Usually end up with 3 and 3 during hot months, 4 30's and 2 40's during cold months.

x2. Fall/spring Be using a 10W30/40 blend now 25 yrs in the GN. 10W30 alone is a wee bit light for an original unopened motor for my tastes. summer- I use straight 10w40 - exactly what GM advises. At 75k I don't have any oiling issues .

As light as possible while still maintaining adequate and verified oil pressure when hot.

Have a similar fresh motor to yours with proper clearances. I running Valvoline VR1 10w 30. Hot motor idles at 20 psi in gear, cold start is 70 and cruising at highway speed I maintain 45psi. Blip the throttle and instant increase in pressure.

And also what ^ said.

I have well over 1000 runs on my TA alum block and NEVER had a bearing issue, and I have used only Valvoline ZR-1 20W-50.

Killed a couple pistons and a BMS crank broke, but the rod and main bearings had only normal wear.

When shifting at 7000 RPM I do not know how a lighter weight oil would do, but will stay with what has worked for me over many years! :)

I have well over 1000 runs on my TA alum block and NEVER had a bearing issue, and I have used only Valvoline ZR-1 20W-50.

Killed a couple pistons and a BMS crank broke, but the rod and main bearings had only normal wear.

When shifting at 7000 RPM I do not know how a lighter weight oil would do, but will stay with what has worked for me over many years! :)

X 2 .... 20w-50 in warmer months for sure especially for a stocker ...too many miles on too many motors to use anything else

I use Valvoline VR1 20w-50 with some added zddp in my 6 quart oil system that includes the turbo saver adapter and hoses plus a System1 tall oil filter.

I like using 10w-40 in my stock TB with ZDDP+ and V1r 20w-50 in my not so stock TB plus I change my oil very often and my engines are super clean inside that tells me I am doing what they like . Oil is cheap compared to having engine problems from not changing oil like sludge and other harmful contaminates .

Last time I changed the oil I use..
Vr1 20w-50 2.5 Quarts
Valvoline 10w-40 3 Quarts
1 bottle of zddp

I have trouble finding the 10w40 vr1 on the shelves around me.. So I use the same designation grade as the 20w50 for the 10w40 but the 10w40 is labled for motor cycle use..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

15/40 Delo, designed for turbo engines in " heavy duty use" has zink in it, used it for 30 years in all my Cat and Cummins engines, HD gas engines, in a lot of heat and cold. Good stuff.

15/40 Delo, designed for turbo engines in " heavy duty use" has zink in it, used it for 30 years in all my Cat and Cummins engines, HD gas engines, in a lot of heat and cold. Good stuff.

Pretty sure that got de-nutted too back when it happened to Rotella a few years ago.

Is the thicker oil harder on the turbo bearing and seals ?

The turbo sees the same pressure the engine does. It is possible to overwhelm the turbo with too much oil pressure. My former precision turbo using -4 feed, 10/40 mobil 1, and stock ford pump (which moves a lot of volume) cause oil to push past the seals before I put a restrictor in it. Cant remember what size restrictor off hand but race parts solutions sold it to me specific for jb turbo.