What makes a fast "street" car?

Nas-T-V6

Everyone knows that slicks, race gas, and race chips make huge HP levels in these cars. But what makes these cars awesome on the street where ppl spend the majority of their driving time. Please share combo's, tips, and any secrets to making a fast "street" car.

This is what I am going for on my car, because I rarely can go to the track and I spend most of my time on the street. I think spoolup is key to a fast street car, because you are not able to build 10 pounds of boost normally on the street and rip it out of the hole like you would at the track. I think the traction mods are really important as well because no matter at the track or on the street, traction wins the race. I do know that with a good set of heads and cam to match the turbo it makes it a lot easier to reel in or fend off the LS1s hard charging topend.

Regardless of the combo, I think a fast street car must have a posi, sticky tires and the suspension tuned for traction. Some various good street additives are: increasing octane (xylene for example), increasing boost, adding alky injection.

Ed

Jonathan,

It is really all relative to the user. Personally, I'd feel that any car pushing 105-110mph in the 1/4 on pump gas (ie 94 octane) that doesn't buck or fart when driven on the street is a fast street car. Especially if it is reliable. Which it should be.

You'll want to address everything mentioned above, including a sensible suspension setup and sticky sensible tires (read: not ET Streets & SSM bars).

Furthermore, you'll want to look into good brakes... make that great brakes! You'll want to bring it down as quick as you get it up there. I did this first.

So are you going to try and work a deal with me on your "stuff" or what?! ;) :D

As the old saying goes, "if your running in the 13's, you'll take about 90% of whats out their".

Chances are you'll find someone who will just absolutely blow the doors of you before you find someone that can just "keep up". Yup, that other 10% is really nasty. That's pretty much how it is around here.

A nice set of Drag Radials, Alky injection, and a nice thumb wheel chip or a lower timing race chip should have you atleast in the mid to high 11's on the street with your combo...ALL THE TIME!

That WILL sound pretty scary to me.

I think most of the guys responding hit it on the head. Traction is the key due to the way our cars have to launch to get good times. My car is high 10's at the strip, but due to having terrible street tire traction, I will loose every time to a 12 sec car on the street. I am working on the solution (ET streets or ?)
Mitch

As jorge said, the alky injection is what did it for me. I ran around with c116 in the tank for a year and a half, but it wasn't much of a street car with 7.50/gal gas. Added the alky kit to a fairly stock combo, and had a mid/high 12 second car with a stereo, AC, cruise, comfortable etc.

Everybody that races here in Roanoke always tries to get me to race from a role, and I always get beat. I love those LS1's, they go by me so fast it takes the paint off my car.

Chris

Lot of guys have found much success using an alchy kit when prowling around on pump gas. Then you can run the higher than stock boost level and still enjoy the car. So far I've gone mid 12's @ 114 on 93 oct, 17# boost, and drag radials. This was after driving 100+ miles to the track, making the runs, then driving 100+ miles back home. Even still, the car got around 18-19 mpg with n/l convertor, leaky x-over, and half dead O2 sensor. You just have to love these cars....:D

I'm with BLACK6PAK. If you run alky on the street you can set the boost level you want the alky to come on and still run up to 23 pounds of boost because of the alky. Boost = horsepower.

Traction is key as JDSfastGN said. You can have 1000 horsepower but if you can't put it to the pavement then you'll get your doors blown off.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Ha ha jorge. No, there isn't much left that is stock now. When I still had the stock turbo, intercooler, injectors etc it was a blast on the street with 22 lbs of boost and a 108 chip with 93 and alky.

From my experience?

Its all about traction. I run nothing but 100 octane w/22-23# of boost on the street w/ramchargers 100 chip. Ive got the nitto extremes on the rear 245/50/16s, and cant get them to hold for crap. The ass end is all over the place with about half throttle from the line. And this is with posi. The only time i can really feel the torque is when im rolling into it at about 30mph and then stop it. Even then i cant hold the friggin rear end straight. Thats why when you pull up to a RamAir be careful and do it right, because ive got a buddy that has got a 02 ramair, and they come with this little feature or button that he presses for slip differential. And lemme tell you when i raced him from a dead stop, i could not get my tires to grab for ****. Of course he took me all the way to the next light. When he punched it, all he did was grab pavement :eek: i mean those tires grabbed like it was no ones business. But i will tell ya if i could have put my tires to stick to the pavement, he would have had no chance, and there would have been a different end to that story :cool:

jojo

LOL...Traction is definitely a BIG thing on the street. Even at 18# my car is severly traction limited. Nothing like being able to haze the tires from 35mph up to around 70-80...LOL. People tend to be a little less anxious to run ya afterwards though...:D The newer LS1 cars have an advantage of traction control...cheatin bastages..:D

Originally posted by Slo86GN
LOL...Traction is definitely a BIG thing on the street. Even at 18# my car is severly traction limited. Nothing like being able to haze the tires from 35mph up to around 70-80...LOL. People tend to be a little less anxious to run ya afterwards though...:D The newer LS1 cars have an advantage of traction control...cheatin bastages..:D

LOL, the next set of tires after these are going to be the BFG drag radials, and possibly an air bag or two. Then we will try the freakin ram air again. I will have a different story to tell next time.:D

jojo

Nas-T-V6
Get rid of those air shocks and get a set of air bags, a rear seat brace, and some good tires. (Dunlop SP 5000 or 8000 are pretty good) Personally... I would go with a smaller turbo as well, if you just want a fast street car and not a track car.

My 2 cents worth
Paul