What intercooler are you running and for what reasons have you made this selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post a picture if you can find it. Here's what mine looks like. It's a one off.

Mike B.
I understand what we are trying to achieve with this thread but I am stuck on the SLIC and like the stock look more. I remember talking to Jason Cramer and he said it would be very hard to improve on the Precision unit.

I understand what we are trying to achieve with this thread but I am stuck on the SLIC and like the stock look more. I remember talking to Jason Cramer and he said it would be very hard to improve on the Precision unit.
If cost wasn't a factor there's plenty that could be done to improve on the common slic designs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you design that shroud? Looks like it will get airflow to the whole cooler, that's another problem with the precision shroud that I noticed, most of the airflow is going to go to the middle third and down, not much to upper.The way its designed with that first angle its going to work like the short side turn on a valve, the majority of flow when the velocity starts getting up there in the port will start overshooting short turn and mainly run the long side. That's the same problem with that first sharp turn and then the second turn is an engineering term known as vena contracta which basically means that when the air that is trying to make that turn at higher velocities it cant do it [just like the short side radius on the valve] and it will actually start building a wall and pinching the airflow off, anyway looks like a good design, what is it made of and where did you get the actuator?

Did you design that shroud? Looks like it will get airflow to the whole cooler, that's another problem with the precision shroud that I noticed, most of the airflow is going to go to the middle third and down, not much to upper.The way its designed with that first angle its going to work like the short side turn on a valve, the majority of flow when the velocity starts getting up there in the port will start overshooting short turn and mainly run the long side. That's the same problem with that first sharp turn and then the second turn is an engineering term known as vena contracta which basically means that when the air that is trying to make that turn at higher velocities it cant do it [just like the short side radius on the valve] and it will actually start building a wall and pinching the airflow off, anyway looks like a good design, what is it made of and where did you get the actuator?

I believe that you're referring to my Boost activated, trap door V4, SLIC. I posted the link on the first page. Here it is again. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/how-to-maximize-your-slic.305569/

Mike B.

I believe that you're referring to my Boost activated, trap door V4, SLIC. I posted the link on the first page. Here it is again. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/how-to-maximize-your-slic.305569/

Mike B.
Sorry didn't get in on beginning of this thread but I like it.Your shroud looks different than mine, mine has about a 80 degree sharp turn on short side and then another turn about 6 inches up from that, definitely squeezing off airflow to top half of cooler.Cooler might be efficient, but someone should have done their homework on the airflow to unit.Did you fab up the trapdoor also and rivet hinge to it, or buy that part?

Sorry didn't get in on beginning of this thread but I like it.Your shroud looks different than mine, mine has about a 80 degree sharp turn on short side and then another turn about 6 inches up from that, definitely squeezing off airflow to top half of cooler.Cooler might be efficient, but someone should have done their homework on the airflow to unit.Did you fab up the trapdoor also and rivet hinge to it, or buy that part?

Thanks.
It is a 100% one off. Done at my house by myself and an engineer friend, who fabs airplane parts in his garage. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably use a Precision SLIC, and do the same mods.

still stirring the pot i see brian :)

I ran a Cottons front mount. Because it was the biggest, baddest, best flowing motherfucker on the market at the time. Oh and i got a "deal" on it ;)

Now gimme my extra points :shame:

Thanks for sharing the info it has been a long time since i had seen and read it. Thats the one i bought and installed on my car 18 years ago and have never had any regrets doing it. It is very small though for a front mount but that also makes it very light weight compared to the larger ones today that puts a lot of weight on the front of the car.

Install the one you have and enjoy it,you won't be sorry that you did.

Please keep us updated with photos...it would be interesting to see the progress as this comes together.
The core is scheduled for delivery today so I hope to post up some pictures tonight. I'm hoping I can get my welder to start working on it this weekend.
AG.

Core showed up today for my own personal pet project intercooler. I worked with Bell engineers to come up with this design for the best flow and charge cooling for the confined space in front of our radiators. this is obviously intended for gasoline and no additional cooling with Alky so the size is considerably larger than our single pass design. This should easily support 1400 FWHP with minimal drop and maximum cooling capacity.
AG.
020.JPG
021.JPG
022.JPG
025.JPG

Where do you plan on putting the engine, you guys have way to much time on your hands.hahahahaha. Pretty awesome looking there.

Status
Not open for further replies.