What intercooler are you running and for what reasons have you made this selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about 2 designs? smaller core for alky street cars with 400-700 fwhp and a huge design for 800-1200hp cars?
It might kill 2 birds with one stone and satisfy everyone.

I am running a vibrant 28x12x3.5" 3in/out. With a 6262 .63 turbo intake temps were 150 at the end of the 8th mile to achieve 103mph trap speeds in a 3400lb car. With the s366 intake temps were 130-140 to achieve 105mph. Roughly 16-17psi for both.

Tank redesigned to give some grill clearance and allow for some safety margin for space. Also reduced the height slightly. Looking into the stress a little more with my scientist friends and also the possibility of using 7075 T7351 but welding is generally not recommended with this alloy.
AG.

Attachments

• Intercooler_21.JPG
    Intercooler_21.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Intercooler_22.JPG
    Intercooler_22.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 198
Why move to a different material? Upping the gauge will help with both stress AND deflection.

Not changing material yet just looking into different options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering, I have been following this thread and you guys decided that the vertical core is better than the horizontal for flow. I understand that since basically more tube area(or more tubes) can go up and down versus left to right. More tube area allows more flow, less restriction. But then you changed the design and cut the amount of tubes the air can flow through in half and made it basically go through 2 intercooler cores. I'm sure this would help the temp but you origionally started going for flow. Not sure of the core dimensions, but if the core is 14 tall x 28 wide by the time you go through half of it twice its the same as through a horizontal once plus the restriction on the 180* turn. Obviously this is WAY beyond my level , and you guys have a million times more knowledge of this stuff. Just wondering if there was another reason other than packaging for the change. Seems the little change is a major change. OR, I missed somewhere that this was a different design, then disregard . Good luck. Maybe I'll need one someday

Just wondering, I have been following this thread and you guys decided that the vertical core is better than the horizontal for flow. I understand that since basically more tube area(or more tubes) can go up and down versus left to right. More tube area allows more flow, less restriction. But then you changed the design and cut the amount of tubes the air can flow through in half and made it basically go through 2 intercooler cores. I'm sure this would help the temp but you origionally started going for flow. Not sure of the core dimensions, but if the core is 14 tall x 28 wide by the time you go through half of it twice its the same as through a horizontal once plus the restriction on the 180* turn. Obviously this is WAY beyond my level , and you guys have a million times more knowledge of this stuff. Just wondering if there was another reason other than packaging for the change. Seems the little change is a major change. OR, I missed somewhere that this was a different design, then disregard . Good luck. Maybe I'll need one someday
I'm working on 2 designs. The first is a single pass vertical flow. The second design is a dual pass not meant to replace the first design and will be built as my own personal project.
AG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, good luck. It's a monster. I'm still new to the modified end of these cars(only had my car for 1 year) and still running a stock intercooler. It won't be long before I decide to upgrade. Will be looking for the outcome of both of your designs.

2 week update?
I made some small design changes to my upper tank and reordered material. I made a mistake on some of the quantities and had to reorder so basically should have everything tonight. My welder was not ready anyway so going to be waiting on his availability. Bison is talking about moving forward with the cast tank single pass version but advised him to get the tanks first so that we can properly size up for the core. It will be a slow process for sure.
AG.

There are other design considerations that I been looking at as well. Looking at the failure modes of the upper tank under high boost pressure, I want to be able to contain the intercooler within the core support and not eject it under the chassis. I think I'm going to have some auxiliary mounts made on the sides so that the core is captured by the aluminum bumper support extensions. Have not drawn up and plans yet but its on the list of things to do.

AG.

There are other design considerations that I been looking at as well. Looking at the failure modes of the upper tank under high boost pressure, I want to be able to contain the intercooler within the core support and not eject it under the chassis. I think I'm going to have some auxiliary mounts made on the sides so that the core is captured by the aluminum bumper support extensions. Have not drawn up and plans yet but its on the list of things to do.

AG.
I couldn't read through the entire 17 pages, but do you guys have a timetable when these will be available to the TR community? I have a Precision SLIC unit and I probably won't be ready to mount it until late spring. The thing is, it's going to require some work to get the damn thing lined up straight. I'd certainly be interesting in FM, that addresses issues on current FMs.

I couldn't read through the entire 17 pages, but do you guys have a timetable when these will be available to the TR community? I have a Precision SLIC unit and I probably won't be ready to mount it until late spring. The thing is, it's going to require some work to get the damn thing lined up straight. I'd certainly be interesting in FM, that addresses issues on current FMs.

My personal one is at the fabricators for welding and hoping to have progress updates soon. I would PM Bison if your interested since we have no formal plans to make these yet unless there is overwhelming interest.
AG.

My personal one is at the fabricators for welding and hoping to have progress updates soon. I would PM Bison if your interested since we have no formal plans to make these yet unless there is overwhelming interest.
AG.
Ok. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.