What exactly is "Dealer Prep?"

Project TNX

I'm sure there is a few TR's out there that the owner requested not to be prepped. I just don't quite know what is involved in dealer prep, so feel free to enlighten me, thanks.

Back in the 80's dealer prep consisted of after the vehicle was delivered to the dealership a mechanic would bring the car into the shop. Put it on a lift, pull the wheels and check brakes and then install hub caps or center hubs, install the fixed mast antenna, check all fluid and inspect for leaks, check all accesories to make sure they work and test drive the vehicle. Paid 1.2 hours. The guys loved them it was easy money. Also the dealer prep included pulling the interior protective plastic and cleaning the car for delivery.

I'm sure there is a few TR's out there that the owner requested not to be prepped. I just don't quite know what is involved in dealer prep, so feel free to enlighten me, thanks.

I thought 'dealer prep' was the routine shhit they would have to do to a car to sell it anyway. Like washing and taking off the plastic from the seats and floorboard. Stuff like that. It's just a way to rip off the consumer.

The way you worded the question, did you find a brand new TR on a lot somewhere?!?:eek:

Back in the 80's dealer prep consisted of after the vehicle was delivered to the dealership a mechanic would bring the car into the shop. Put it on a lift, pull the wheels and check brakes and then install hub caps or center hubs, install the fixed mast antenna, check all fluid and inspect for leaks, check all accesories to make sure they work and test drive the vehicle. Paid 1.2 hours. The guys loved them it was easy money. Also the dealer prep included pulling the interior protective plastic and cleaning the car for delivery.

My slow damn fingers!:mad:

I thought 'dealer prep' was the routine shhit they would have to do to a car to sell it anyway. Like washing and taking off the plastic from the seats and floorboard. Stuff like that. It's just a way to rip off the consumer.

The way you worded the question, did you find a brand new TR on a lot somewhere?!?:eek:

No, but I have seen two in the last two years that still had the plastic on the seats. :eek:

I think I saw Dealer prep on one of my cars listed for $180.00, I was ripped off. :eek:

No, but I have seen two in the last two years that still had the plastic on the seats. :eek:

I think I saw Dealer prep on one of my cars listed for $180.00, I was ripped off. :eek:

If you were charged for dealer prep you were ripped off. Buick paid for dealer prep.

Then again the dealership probably made something else up to charge "dealer prep".. Maybe undercoating, and some fancy wax.

It's where for $120 they would start the car and move it from the back of the lot to the front.

Dealer prep is the charge the service department levies to prep the car for sale. Internally, the term is PDI- pre delivery inspection.

Car comes off the transporter, wrapped for transport. Service department receives car- the department is then responsible for ensuring the car has all accessories installed (per the order sheet/window sticker), everything is working as advertised, and the car is ready for sale.

It may seem like BS to a bunch of car guys, but it's got to be done. The consumer pays for it- either as a line item charge, or rolled into the cost of the car.

I got my car new and told the dealer not to do anything to it. It had plastic on the seats and that protective tape over the plastic on the dash, etc... when I brought it home.

On the way home, I stopped at a Goodyear dealer to upgrade to Eagle GT+4's. While there, I bought new wheels and put the T-Type wheels in the boxes those new wheels came in. My original wheels and caps are still in those boxes and they still have the factory UPC code stckers on them.

This has never made sense to me.

I have a car battery for sale. If you want it, you have to pay me to go to the back to retrieve it, and then to lift it up on to the counter before you can have it.

Its not like I would do this anyway.

With Turbo Regals I am sure there were some acceleration tests done as well.:D :D

Mark, now THAT'S funny!!:biggrin: I can only wonder how many TR's were 'test driven' at the dealership when these things were new. Kinda makes ya think why some of these cars were taken back to the dealership by the new owner because the engine wasn't quite broken in correctly and expired prematurely!!!

Ken B.

This has never made sense to me.

I have a car battery for sale. If you want it, you have to pay me to go to the back to retrieve it, and then to lift it up on to the counter before you can have it.

Its not like I would do this anyway.

It's the cost of doing business. A tech has to check it, detailers have to clean it, etc. Last time I checked those guys don't work for free. Then there's all the stuff with titles and paperwork. A lot of stuff goes into selling a car and quite a few people involved. Different from buying a battery for sure.

Don't forget that nifty metal or plastic badge that was added to the trunk lid!

I told the salesman after we sealed the deal to leave off the dealer badge. The next day when I went to pick up the car, it was on there.:mad:

I still have the badge, but not the car (NEW '86 GN).:(

Pre delivery inspection is paid for by general motors. They comp the dealer an hour or so for each car similar to paying them back for warranty work. Chrysler does the same thing and I would assume ford does as well. Unless they are doing other things to the car as stated above (fancy wax, undercoating, pinstripes, bed liners, etc.) you should not be charged for it. And prep for delivery at the dealership I work at is not a "fire it up and pull it around front" situation. I personally spend 2-4 hours detailing each car that is sold for delivery regardless of who the customer is. Between the PDI, new vehicle deliveries, and detailing the trade ins, that pretty much sums up my job. I'm also that guy the sticks dealer stickers on and drills holes in the front bumper for front dealer tags. If you don't want it, you had better tell the salesperson in advance.

A side note on dealer prep: It pretty much always takes longer than the alotted time to check the vehicle over. New trucks have bolt on center caps with 8 nuts each that you have to tighten by hand. Then you get to sit in the vehicle and check evey single item. Every light bulb in and out, all fluid levels, the radio, the lighter, every door handle and child safety lock, the transmission park interlock, the e brake, the cruise, the wipers, the HVAC, all seat bels, the automatic seat weights that turn off the passenger airbags, then you have to drive it. It would take an hour to tell you everything you have to check, and the new vans with the DVD players and outlets for the playstaion and such are the worst.