What are they? Muscle car? Hot rod??

Grand national was made due to the regal kicking ass in NASCAR, so maybe we have NASCAR cars lol

At the time of production they were often referred to by the press as Modern Muscle. I think that is what the Buick engineers targeted was to out perform the muscle cars of the late 60s and early 70's; which was done handily and in the most luxurious comfort A/C Am/FM stereo cassette cushy seats. But the fact that they went on to out perform almost EVERY car made at the time in terms of acceleration is where the mysterious/ legendary status came.
So to me it is more of a legendary car, and the weird stories the public has about them hence the mystery.

Gezzz, and to think all those articles over the years covering Turbo Buicks in MUSCLE CAR MAGAZINES are in error! ;) The Turbo Regals are the last intermediate sized, rear wheel drive, full frame American MUSCLE CARS made. Sure they have a turbocharged V6 powerhouse under the hood but none of that matters when you smoke 99% of V8 powered "muscle cars" you come up against. And tell me, what does the NHRA classify our cars at?? Yea, they're a muscle car alright. Right down to that mean look and attitude of "earlier" muscle cars...........

Grand national was made due to the regal kicking ass in NASCAR, so maybe we have NASCAR cars lol
But, the turbo V6 and all the SFI technology was born out of Buick's Indy Car participation. So it's an Indy powered NASCAR stocker or a bastard. :wacky:

Monte Carlo SS's.Damn don't ya'll know anything.:confused:
Watch it sucka!
lpage.jpg

Anyone see the new Buick commercial? Geared toward a younger generation of customer.
And there's an unusual car pictured in the lineup. Its very aggressive compared to the other cars pictured.

currently cutting it the F loose

Anyone see the new Buick commercial? Geared toward a younger generation of customer.
And there's an unusual car pictured in the lineup. Its very aggressive compared to the other cars pictured.

I have not seen it yet.

Definatly an outsider car but I'd lean towards muscle car. Big power but horrible braking and handling in stock form, just like the 60's.

I think that's the criteria.
Is it really fast from a dead stop? Yup

Is it loud? It can be

Does it look menacing? Check

Can it stop? Well...eventually.

Can it turn? Yes...about 4 seconds after the body rolls the opposite direction.

You have a muscle car.

Here's the thing though. The GN fits that criteria, but the T's are even more of an outsider. They lack the meanacing muscle car type appearance. It just appears to be a pissed off granny car :cool:

Well, that little old lady from Pasadena was ready to trade in her 25 year old Super Stock Dodge in '87. Hell, she probably recently traded her Turbo Limited for a CTS-V. :LOL:

I think T's are scary without looking scary. Once you realize what it is at a light its far far too late. :)

Definatly an outsider car but I'd lean towards muscle car. Big power but horrible braking and handling in stock form, just like the 60's.
That def covers all the 60's criteria... Hit the gas.."Holy Shit!!!" then the brakes..."Oh Shit!!!"

Freddy Krueger because we give all of the car brands nightmares when they see us coming.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would definitely agree that we don't fit in with the muscle car brotherhood. Most of those guys won't talk to me at cruise in's. The car seems to attract the weirdo's or the people who think its a Monte. Do you know how many peoples cousins, brothers or uncle had the twin turbo V8 version? Hundreds! Lots of stupid people out there.

But, the turbo V6 and all the SFI technology was born out of Buick's Indy Car participation. So it's an Indy powered NASCAR stocker or a bastard. :wacky:

a bastard from a time when race car technology could find it's way onto production lines within a year or two, and the race car versions had a real effect of the styling and aero of the production cars due to homologation rules. just think how much ass the Buicks would have kicked in NASCAR if they had built an aerodynamic fastback version of the Regal to run alongside the Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe and Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2..