What are the cons of Aluminum heads on a street car?

Whenever you refer to gases in a space the correct word would me "mass" referring to the density of the gas(es) within. The word volume is often misused and should only be used with liquids. Fwiw gases take up the entire container of whatever they are in unlike liquid and liquid isnt very easily compressed so the mass efficiency with a gas literally is always 100%.

Allow me to put this in layman's terms. I just had a colonscopy today. The Dr. told me that they had to fill my colon with air as part of the procedure. After the procedure the Dr. told me not to hold in any farts. Now he didn't have to tell me that because I believe it is a sin to hold in a fart. He said that it would be best to relieve as much of the gas as possible to prevent any type of discomfort. So what he wanted was for me to fart with high 'mass efficiency'. Now the thing is before the procedure I had to drink almost of gallon of this watery laxative to clean out my colon. As it turned out all of that watery laxative hadn't completely cleared my small intestines and was still making its way into my colon AFTER the procedure. So when it came time for that high 'mass efficiency' fart there was a 'volume' of liquid present as well. As the 'valve' opened to let the fart out, the liquid was atomized. Any questions?

I didn't say 'vaporize'. It atomized as in broke into tiny droplets of liquid suspended in the gas flow and pressured out of the 'valve'. Capiche?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Are these ass particulates endothermic or exothermic?

Language Language!!! No need for that. Now your question isn't relevant to the topic but I'll try to answer it. The particulates have exothermic properties. Immediately before release the particulates release heat (exothermic) to excite the 'valve' making it open. Upon release any residual heat is absorbed by either the atmosphere, water in the receptive container, or as in my case the fabric of the material it attempts to filter through. When the particulates attempt to filter through said fabric it excites the entire body into a two legged 'crab walk' to the nearest place the fabric can be removed. These particulates or rather the mist conveys quite a bit of heat/energy to the surrounding components in the reaction making it exothermic.

I fully agree with the first part of this statement as combo is a very important factor especially in a turbo build. :)

However, you WILL have HP and drivability improvement as performance is all about air flow. With alum heads there is much improved air flow which means you can develop the same HP at less boost.

Since alum transfers heat better than iron, it will allow more boost before knock will happen.

My opinion, the only downside is the cost, and that is your choice! :D
Thank you Dr. Micale. There is no hard data (which I have ever seen) that the heat transfer superiority of aluminum compromised the performance of a turbo Buick engine. In the Turbo Regal case the aluminum head "chamber science" is ahead of the irons. The iron heads were changed in the late 70's / early 80's. The aluminum head spark plug location is closer to the center of the head ( less time for intake charge to reach the plug-faster burn meaning less octane requirement;larger valves for improved flow; valve position changed to reduce valve shrouding Coupling this with a proper compression ratio and piston crown the burn is more complete (more efficient). When spark advance, heat transfer, combustion timing and turbo selection are done properly its possible to come up with an 11 sec combination on 93 octane. Tough to do on irons.

Language Language!!! No need for that. Now your question isn't relevant to the topic but I'll try to answer it. The particulates have exothermic properties. Immediately before release the particulates release heat (exothermic) to excite the 'valve' making it open. Upon release any residual heat is absorbed by either the atmosphere, water in the receptive container, or as in my case the fabric of the material it attempts to filter through. When the particulates attempt to filter through said fabric it excites the entire body into a two legged 'crab walk' to the nearest place the fabric can be removed. These particulates or rather the mist conveys quite a bit of heat/energy to the surrounding components in the reaction making it exothermic.

Thanks for a good morning laugh.....

LMFAO! Thanks Clay!:D

I will be throwing a set on over the winter so we will see how it goes.

FWIW, I ran the same boltons with a 235 inch and bowl ported irons and then switched to a 255 inch stroker (same cam, turbo, i/c, converter etc), GN1's non ported with ported intake and bigger throttle body and uppipe. I went 127mph at 27 psi boost on the old combo, the new combo has gone 125 mph in the 1/4 with only 18-19 psi boost... I'd say it really took out a restriction for me.

Mass efficiency is how well the cylinder is filled relative to its displacement. 20psi in the intake and 20psi in the cylinder at bdc would be 100% mass efficiency. Of course it would have to be fresh air charge and not diluted with inert gas that is left over. This isn't a realistic situation if back pressure is higher than intake pressure but just a quick explanation. Air flow is solely determined by engine displacement and speed and nothing else. Mass flow is result of both.

Load = VE = % cylinder filling =....

VE = Normalized Fill Volume / Theoretical Fill Volume

= (Intake Charge Mass/min) / ((CID)*(ρSTP)*(RPM)*(0.5))

Where density of dry air (ρSTP) = 0.00004413 lbm/in3

For Example, a 346ci engine idling at 1.0lb/min airflow at 700rpm:

VE = (1.0) / ((346)*(0.00004413)*(700)*(0.5))
= (1.0) / (5.34)
= 0.187 or 18.7% load"

If you can log true engine load you can get a close idea of how much air is traveling through the combustion chamber. Have read the chips run on the buicks lock load in at 200% (which is probably max) for consistency. From the way I understand it is load, ve, and cylinder fill are all the same. When at 1.00 load would be 100% fill, (which a na motors will hardly ever see but instead be around .80 or so for a healthy motor.) But I do know everything is taken into account in the tune including injectors slopes, displacement, manifold volume, etc... to be able to log true load.

Btw, This is a quote from Greg Banish's dvd "Calibrated Success". Great guide for anyone looking to get into tuning.

Mass efficiency is how well the cylinder is filled relative to its displacement. 20psi in the intake and 20psi in the cylinder at bdc would be 100% mass efficiency. Of course it would have to be fresh air charge and not diluted with inert gas that is left over. This isn't a realistic situation if back pressure is higher than intake pressure but just a quick explanation. Air flow is solely determined by engine displacement and speed and nothing else. Mass flow is result of both.

Load = VE = % cylinder filling =....

VE = Normalized Fill Volume / Theoretical Fill Volume

= (Intake Charge Mass/min) / ((CID)*(ρSTP)*(RPM)*(0.5))

Where density of dry air (ρSTP) = 0.00004413 lbm/in3

For Example, a 346ci engine idling at 1.0lb/min airflow at 700rpm:

VE = (1.0) / ((346)*(0.00004413)*(700)*(0.5))
= (1.0) / (5.34)
= 0.187 or 18.7% load"

If you can log true engine load you can get a close idea of how much air is traveling through the combustion chamber. Have read the chips run on the buicks lock load in at 200% (which is probably max) for consistency. From the way I understand it is load, ve, and cylinder fill are all the same. When at 1.00 load would be 100% fill, (which a na motors will hardly ever see but instead be around .80 or so for a healthy motor.) But I do know everything is taken into account in the tune including injectors slopes, displacement, manifold volume, etc... to be able to log true load.

Btw, This is a quote from Greg Banish's dvd "Calibrated Success". Great guide for anyone looking to get into tuning.

iorn heads have a different vlave set up than aluminum champion heads ... so its not like the iorns are just like the aluminum heads

Whats an average INSTALLED price difference between COMPLETE (INCLUDING ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING NEEDED TO MAKE THEM WORK) NEW Champion race Irons and NEW Champion race aluminums?

The goal is to join the 9 second club on a heavy street car that will eventually end up a race/street car.

Whats an average INSTALLED price difference between COMPLETE (INCLUDING ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING NEEDED TO MAKE THEM WORK) NEW Champion race Irons and NEW Champion race aluminums?

The goal is to join the 9 second club on a heavy street car that will eventually end up a race/street car.
At least $1500.00 more depending how you set them up and what version of the heads you choose. A set of R heads I just sold were around $4000 complete.

Fully ported and polished heads will help. Your 206 cam will work but I do think a bigger cam, 212/218 will help. If you are running E85 you will have to pay close attention to correct fueling to make that much power.

There are advantages to running aluminum heads as has been stated, there were guys running 9.90s in 20 years ago using a 60-1 turbo. So it's all very much about your combo. If you are using the stock intercooler in your sig, port and polish the irons and save the money for a good intercooler.