What are the brighest lights for a TR??

yeah.. i love the way audi headlights look approaching.. myriad of blue/purple/white colors..

A little better - i mean little better than standard lamps

Anybody ever tried the 80w eurolite xenon crystal bulb?

For next to nothing, I rewired my low beams with a 30 amp relay so that my low beams remain lit when I put the high beams on.The difference was very noticable with my regular Sylvania halogen bulbs.Just a thought:D

It's hard to find Cibie & Marchal lamps these days...I bought my 1st set of Cibies from a JC Penney catalog in the '70s for a '68 L-78 Chevelle that was easily outrunning its factory T3 headlights!

The Cibies sure lit the way!!

:) :)

FOLLOW UP on Sylvania

I had an email conversation with a Sylvania tech about my experiences earlier in this thread. She was very helpful in getting to the bottom of this Silver Star debate. Turns out my results were expected...I'll summarize our conversation:

Sylvania XtraVisions are brighter and cast more light in a dark, non-relfective environment (like where I tested)...the woods, unlit road, trees, etc....

Sylvania SilverStars are whiter light and will REFLECT better than yellower Halogens. Signs, side markers, reflectors, reflective road paint, animal eyes, (snow drifts?) etc... will reflect brighter/whiter with the Silver Stars. I did some more testing and I can see what they mean.

So if you choose these drop-in replacements, make your selection based on your environment :)

Mike [:)

Originally posted by GSthunder
For next to nothing, I rewired my low beams with a 30 amp relay so that my low beams remain lit when I put the high beams on.The difference was very noticable ...

I agree, that's a must!

[:)

wait..

are you saying that when you originally hit your high beam switch, the outside two lamps went off, and the inside two came on?

or are you meaning that when you hit your high beams now, the low filiment stays on in the outside bulb, the high beam filiment comes on, and the inside two high beam bulbs come on?

Re: FOLLOW UP on Sylvania

Originally posted by mkazigian

Sylvania XtraVisions are brighter and cast more light in a dark, non-relfective environment (like where I tested)...the woods, unlit road, trees, etc....

Sylvania SilverStars are whiter light and will REFLECT better than yellower Halogens. Signs, side markers, reflectors, reflective road paint, animal eyes, (snow drifts?) etc... will reflect brighter/whiter with the Silver Stars. I did some more testing and I can see what they mean.

from that explanation, how about running the silverstars on low beams and the xtravisions on high beams?

you guys dont even know how close i am following this thread! :)

Originally posted by Two Lane
Sounds like a plan, Brooklyn!

:)

yeah, i'm really thinking about trying that setup. at least for living in the city like a do, that sounds like the best of both worlds.

tommy

Brownstone Row House

That's it!!-----------Then moved to Philly......then....LOL!...on & on!

I miss my Nathan's most of all!

:) :)

yeah right now on low beams, my diamond cut low beams come on. when i hit the highs, the diamond cuts go high, and the inside two cool blues come on low.

im thinking of hooking a switch up to have all four on low and to be able to switch the cool blues either way when the headlight switch is on high.

right now with the diamond cut high beams and the cool blue low beams it lights up stuff pretty good.

Re: Re: FOLLOW UP on Sylvania

Originally posted by S1NISTER 87GN
from that explanation, how about running the silverstars on low beams and the xtravisions on high beams?
you guys dont even know how close i am following this thread! :)

Well then you know this is driving me crazy too! ;) Your plan would be fine except they only make the XtraVision in a low beam! :mad: I chose to keep SilverStars for high beams and like GSThunder I have always jumped in the low filaments in high. I can't see why they don't combine the XtraVision concept with the SilverStars.

TTYPE84 The second thing you said...The relay holds the low filament on too.

Re: Re: Re: FOLLOW UP on Sylvania

Originally posted by mkazigian
Your plan would be fine except they only make the XtraVision in a low beam! :mad: I can't see why they don't combine the XtraVision concept with the SilverStars.

uuugh, back to the drawing board.

:rolleyes:

tommy

so the xtravision is a h4656 bulb that has no high beam filament??

it would not be a bad deal to just get a pair of low/high xtravisions and low/high silverstars

run 4 beams all the time, 4 on low, 4 on high. all the new HID cars do that.. halogen high beams with HID lows..

All I did was tap into the high beam wire as the trigger wire for a 30 amp relay and tap into low beam wire for the out-put from the relay.
Now when I have the low beams on, just the two low beam elements are on,but when I hit the high beams, all four high beam elements plus the low beam elements come on. As an added benefit, I did my connecting behind the right side headlights and connected the power side of the relay right to the battery( with an in-line fuse of course),which supplys more voltage to the low beams (when in high beam mode)than the factory harness wires.
Total time- about 15 mins.
Total cost- about 5 bucks

if they only make the XTRAvisions in a low beam...4656...that has 3 prongs right?...So why couldn't you still use it for the high beam (4651) and either break off the 3rd prong or just bend it out of the way. Your only going to be using the high beam filiment in the bulb anyway. Then we could all use the combo that Brooklyn said! :D

TType84...you wouldn't be able to call the 4656..."a 4656" if it didn't have a high beam filiment...as you know, the 4656 has 3 prongs, so whether it's 2 separate filiments like an 1157 bulb, or one filiment that just gets brighter with the added electricity...3 prongs means low AND high beam capability...

just a thought...

John

OK- After reading this thread I had to go out and buy the Silverstar. I only bought one and put it on my Honda (hi-low bulb).
What I noticed: 1-they are really white looking and sort of HID'ish. Not upset that I spent $25 but not that crazy about it to spend another $25. 2-They do NOT put out more light than sylvania X-tra vision. I covered one light at a time and I also live in an area that if there is a full moon out, it is signifigantly lighter out. I drove with them for about 1 hr in many conditions. Low light, high light and No light.

I also notice that if I go to put my brights on but don't click them it seems signifigantly brighter. This works on my Honda and my wife's Mitsu. So I guess the move would be to wire the highs and lows to come on together.