What are the brighest lights for a TR??

oh great. Now we have completely different opinions on the Silverstars!! lol
How can they be this bad AND good at the same time??

Ok....so before I melt the nose off of the car, if I get either the cool blues or the silver stars....do I need to upgrade the wireing or light switch? If so, for those of you who have upgraded wiring and switches...what did you do?

nope with either.. Both are the same wattage as original so there is no more amperage draw then there is is with the original lights

Originally posted by FlyinGN
oh great. Now we have completely different opinions on the Silverstars!! lol
How can they be this bad AND good at the same time??

Hey, I don't wanna be like that 1 in 1000 guys that poo poo the powerplate :D

Remember I haven't opened my Buick lamps yet in hopes of being able to return them. Since Turbo Brian had good luck in my exact situation (Xtra Visions), I'll take the chance and open one of the low beams tonight and report in. Believe me, I'd like them to work out!

Perhaps I can get someone else to stop by for the great lamp showdown so we can have another opinion :cool:

TURBOBRIAN- Did you judge this from up close, or 50 yards downrange?

Mike [:)

if the SS's have that sort of blueish tint and give alot of white light then i am getting those ss's on friday...both autozone and advance auto have these in normal stock???

btw i would notice a HUGE difference with any lamp change because i have the stock halogens in my GN right now:rolleyes: can barely see crap with them too!

I know you're sick of hearing about this by now...

I took the Buick to my headlight proving grounds tonight armed with XtraVisions, Silver Stars, a torx, a Phillips, & masking tape for several A-B comparisons :) Long story short, the SilverStars are noticeably whiter, bluer, crisper etc... when you look AT THE CAR. I'm sure this is what everyone means when they say "brighter". They really make the car look like it has HID, which is what they are marketed to do :cool:

What they DON'T do is illuminate the road as well as the Xtra Vision low beams (or stock Caddy lights). No way. No how. Good night nurse. :eek: Even if you walk way down the road and look back at the car, the "yellower" XtraVisions have that blinding quality that makes you squint. I tried different aiming points too.

There are no high beams in the Xtra Vision series though, and the Silver Star high beams are better than the stock halogens, so I'm keeping them.

I went to the Sylvania web page for ideas:

1. Sylvania says XtraVision low beams have increased wattage over regular low-beam halogens (55w vs. 35w); oddly enough the Silverstars don't say anything about having more power

2. Sylvania rates XtraVisions as "30% brighter than regular halogens" yet their SilverStars only "20% brighter than regular halogens"....I know that's meaningless, but you would think the manufacturer would spec its $25 bulb higher than it's $15 bulb.

Anyway, I gave 'em a chance on 2 different cars. If anyone wants to visit the mean streets of Paramus and prove otherwise, I'll buy ya a beer. :)

[:)

Originally posted by 2NASSTYBUICKS
I am running the Sylvania Cool Blues.They are actually bright white they dont shine blue.They are a lot brighter than regular halogen lights.Side by side comparison to a halogen light the halogen looks yellow.They show them on the Sylvania webpage you show in your thread.Low beam #H4656CB Hi#H4651CB They cost around $13 each.It cost $104 to put them on my Buicks but if they keep me from hitting a deer up here in the boonies then they are a good investment.:D

same here

HID's were EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would anyone put aftermarket lights in to stare into them from in front of the car. :D

I think upgraded lighting should be rated from what you can see down the road.

Cibie and Hella lamps have special reflector patterns that aim the light better and away from oncoming traffic. Z pattern I think they call it.

Prolly looks dull or like crap from in front of the car but I never really looked. :rolleyes:

Try looking at what you can see with your new lamps, not what it "looks like". :)

Just my .02.

PS: I think the factory wiring on the low beams will handle 75 watts. Won't warranty it though, you know, racing parts. :cool:

Well, personally I do not drive THAT much at night. It's too hard to see the cops. My WE4 is just my fun car....

I got the cool blue because they looked VERY CLEAN and very "glassy" ...... so with the lights off at a car show or what not I think its problably the best possible sealed beam option

-- i am too picky ;)

guys keep this in mind..

when driving on a LIT road it seems the higher color temp lights you have the less light youll see.

im pretty sure this is because the white (not the brown ones) streetlamps ARE HID lights... they put out super bright white and if your headlights throw out the same color temp youre not gonna be able to tell..

with the stock yellow halogens you can tell of course cause its a whole different color.

im wondering if anyone has diamond cut housings like I do and has put a set of silverstar H3 bulbs in?

the housings i have dont have a traffic friendly beam pattern BUT they do light up the road pretty well, hit the high beams and its NUTS, if the bulbs in them werent some random "blue hid look" standard wattage bulbs i think i could light up a football field. as it is now when you hit the high beams it lights up TREES

http://home.attbi.com/~nbx23/lights.jpg

i like the look but.. im not completely sold on it so im not getting a second pair to match yet... the beam pattern has me conflicted too. ill go take some pictures and put up a lil website about it in a few minutes so you guys can see.

some good info there Nick. Thanks for the link.. The cb's look yellow as compared to the diamond cuts. I have cb's in my GN and love em. They are much better then the stock halogens. I guess my dilemma is are the SS's worth the extra $$ over the cb's that I am happy with now??

Originally posted by TType84
http://home.attbi.com/~threepointeight/lights

there, i kinda did a little webpage showing pictures of color temps, beam patterns, and whatever for cool blues and diamond cut housings

yall spread the word, let me know if it was helpful at all.

Originally posted by TType84
http://home.attbi.com/~threepointeight/lights

there, i kinda did a little webpage showing pictures of color temps, beam patterns, and whatever for cool blues and diamond cut housings

yall spread the word, let me know if it was helpful at all.

the lights that look blue...are those the "diamond cut" lights? that does look wicked and that's EXACTLY what i was looking for...where can i get those bulbs???

yeah the bluish ones are diamond cut housings with the free bulbs he puts in..

i thik they would look better with silverstar bulbs in them, because as it is with any other blue painted/blue glass bulb, they put out higher color temp but they dont put out as much light as a comparable bulb WITHOUT the blue tint. the coating on the silverstars is different its dichroic or something, and although i dont know what that means, ive read something to the effect that it doesnt limit the light output.. hmm!

From what I've read it seems that if you want to really light the road, ya need to get a non-sealed reflector/lens and put the H4 type bulb that is available with 100w on the hi's.

Iselected 55/100 on the low beams so that I am not blinding people as I travel in traffic. But when I hit the hi's and 4 - 100w lamps come on... like I said on page one of the thread, it is like the sun came up!

There is so much energy being used that a relay on the hi beams is necessary but not so much that it will drain your battery.

If one just wants to look cool, the HID possers are probably just a little better, maybe.

The only non-sealed beams that I am aware of are the Cibe or Marshall (sp?). But I have not looked for about 12 years.

the Meijer store near me has the silver stars on sale for 20% off.

Sooo....buy two, 24.95+24.95 = $50.00
Shave off 20% = 39.92
Get the $10.00 rebate = 29.92

they are now $15.00 a piece, almost the same as the Cool blues at 14 bucks a pop

Just an FYI to those of you with Meijer stores.

Renthorin,

Here's another savings-combo...

Go to Advance, where they have a "Buy 1, get 2nd 50% off".

Then, send in receipt for ten buck rebate.

HTH

:)

you can get cool blue's in 9003 bulb form for $14 a pair at WALMART... just an fyi for anyone with conversion housings

FYI, the BMW, Audi etc use a 6000K to 7000K light.. the Sun is I believe 5000K and the S2000 uses a 4300K light..