What are the brighest lights for a TR??

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
I have seen posts about the 'blue' lights being crap....HID are the best.....stick with the original halogen lights.....etc.

I want to replace all my lights with something as they all are cracked or scratched...etc.

What are you folks using on your TR's? I want the brightest whitest light. I don't want to overload the stock wireing.....

I saw these....

http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x46565006.htm

Anyone use them? If not....what do you use?

HID are most likely the brightist and whiteist. They have their own wiring too.

I use bright halogen bulbs and Hella and Cibie reflectors.

To use high output halogen requires relays and upgraded wiring to the lamps. Not hard to do.

Not sure if either of them are legal. Local laws apply. ;)

I am running the Sylvania Cool Blues.They are actually bright white they dont shine blue.They are a lot brighter than regular halogen lights.Side by side comparison to a halogen light the halogen looks yellow.They show them on the Sylvania webpage you show in your thread.Low beam #H4656CB Hi#H4651CB They cost around $13 each.It cost $104 to put them on my Buicks but if they keep me from hitting a deer up here in the boonies then they are a good investment.:D

I got a pair of those high-output lights from wallmart suppose to be around 85 watts, its brighter than those cool blue lights from Sylvania. I think it was a GE light and the cost was around $6-8each. It was a big noticable difference in the brightness.

I don't know about the new style of lamps, but I have not noticed anything better than using the method mentioned by salvageV6.

I use the 55/100 bulbs in the low, and 100's in the hi's + 4 - 100w lamps when I hit the hi's = MASSIVE light, like off-road 4x4 truck lighting. About two minutes on hi's and the stock relay goes, but it is way easy to relay the 2 hi's and that solved the problem.

I use the 55/100 bulbs in the low, and 100's in the hi's + 4 - 100w lamps when I hit the hi's = MASSIVE light, like off-road 4x4 truck lighting. About two minutes on hi's and the stock relay goes, but it is way easy to relay the 2 hi's and that solved the problem.

BTDT drove around and got a dead battery while it was running, be realistic, good lighting is nice, but don't go overboard.

best lights w/o question...are the new silvania SILVERSTARS...WOW what a difference. These lights are in the 4000K range, and those HID bulbs are only in the 6000K range. Definately the look of HID. I've had many people say, "Hey man...you finaly sprung for the HID's (b/c they all knew I wanted the real thing)." I tell them, naw...I just got the silverstars...

kinda pricy though...$25 each!...buy worth it

Lumens per dollar

If you want the best, the HIDs are the best, no question. BUT... they are about $500 per pair, so if you want all four, it's a grand. Next best, and MUCH cheaper, are the high output halogens, the H4 in the highest wattage you feel comfortable with.

John84, I was thinking of the silverstars too. Did you have to modify or add anything to put them in or do they just drop in place?

Originally posted by John84GN
best lights w/o question...are the new silvania SILVERSTARS...WOW what a difference. These lights are in the 4000K range, and those HID bulbs are only in the 6000K range. Definately the look of HID. I've had many people say, "Hey man...you finaly sprung for the HID's (b/c they all knew I wanted the real thing)." I tell them, naw...I just got the silverstars...

kinda pricy though...$25 each!...buy worth it

Where do you buy these???????

Stock alternator is 120amperes.

400 watts of lamps and it isn't even working hard.

H4's work well wired properly.

Just don't hunt deer whilst idling. ;)

If you use up to 75 watts or so on the low beams you don't need new wiring on them.

Gotta check out the new Sylvanias for the GN since I don't want to rewire that car if I don't have to.

Hey how about mini-driving lights anyone got a line on what works and placement?

PIAA? HID? :)

Just a question. Does your regular low beam headlights turn high when you put your high beams on with a H4 harness and relays?

I bought four Toucan headlights and one H4 harness. There was only two relays and two plugs on the harness for the bulbs even though the box said it could be used with four headlight systems (crappy directions, half was written in chinese, made for the japenese market probably).

So i connected the low beams to to the harness and left out the wiring for the high beams. When i have my low beams on, the blue headlight indicator on the dash stays lights up. When i turn on my highbeams the indictaor still lit but brighter and headlights shut off rather than turning highbeam. I think the bulbs i used were 80/100w, so there daul filament. Center high beam bulbs are not connected.

I use these too and love em. Cheap, not hard on the switches and wiring and VERY white. A lot whiter then the stock halogens. Like night and day when you install a cool blue on one side and leave in the halogen in the other and put on the lights.

Originally posted by 2NASSTYBUICKS
I am running the Sylvania Cool Blues.They are actually bright white they dont shine blue.They are a lot brighter than regular halogen lights.Side by side comparison to a halogen light the halogen looks yellow.They show them on the Sylvania webpage you show in your thread.Low beam #H4656CB Hi#H4651CB They cost around $13 each.It cost $104 to put them on my Buicks but if they keep me from hitting a deer up here in the boonies then they are a good investment.:D

Another vote for Cool Blues. I have the cool blues runnning through a relay to ease the load on the stock switch and have driving lamps as well.

The cool blues are much whiter then the driving lights, to the point where I really might spring for a set of PIAA superwhite H3 just to even it out. I used these before in a set of driving lights and MAN!!!!

I want to try those silverstars though, I didn't know they made them in our size until about a month after I bought the cool blues. :(

Ok guy's...I would consider myself a light FREAK! I love being the brightest thing on the road, as well as cool. I have police strobes, neon, as well as these silverstars.

I've had them ALL...coolblues...the halogen 3X (which were supposed to be the brightest ones...H4's...ALL OF THEM...!

Now, if your looking for the BMW, Audi, and Honda S2000 color lights (the purple rainbow effect) those HID's are upwards of 8000K or about $1,000 bucks so forget about it if that's what you think these are. The silverstars are as close as you'll get to the HID look of lets say, a Mercedes. Definately a difference! From the sides they have a SMALL hint of purple and maybe blue, but just the shock affect of looking at the ground w/ one bulb in and one bulb out is COOL! :D

I got mine @ Autozone for $24.99 w/ a $10 mail-in-rebate per pair. So for $40 bucks...these are DEFINALTY the best "bang for your buck." Installation took less than 10 minutes...just unplug and re-plug! No relay's...No extra wiring!!!

I think that was all the ques....:rolleyes: ;)

Sylvania is running a special right now: buy one bulb, get the second one half off. This might just be a deal at Advance Auto Parts. That's where I just picked up a set of 4 silverstars, and the total was under $90.00 after tax. Just FYI.

Sources For Cibie Headlamps

Where are some good places with good prices on Cibie headlamps?

Cibie's with the Silverstars...yeah, dat's de tikkit!

:)

You do need to include the high beam bulb part of the low beam/high beam H4 lamps into your relay wiring for the high beam activation when using the H4 lamps.

All the high beam bulbs end up on the relay wiring.

Make sure the grounds are good and beefy as well.

There are 4 factory female sockets for the four headlights. On my APC harness there are only two male plugs that connect to the factory sockets. I have them both connected to the low beam sockets on the car.

I guess i have to fiddle around with the harness and make modifications where necessary to the wiring to make it applicable to my car.