What are the brighest lights for a TR??

thanx man, thats what i was hoping to hear. looks like it was $60 well spent. i'm liking them more & more.

later

waste your money?

instead of wasting your money on lights that "look" like HID, but aren't and do not function anywhere even remotely like them.. and even at that, the HID systems aren't all that terrific compared to the E-Code grade lamps I mentioned earlier on.

If you don't want to waste money of 40+ year old sealed beam bubl technology, or even the conventional composite DOT type bubls, I highly suggest reading the following:

http://www.dimebank.com/Light-up.html

Do I have them, not just yet, but they are on my project list for sure since my Sylvania Halogen lamps just plain suck.

Leave the pretty colored, ineffective lights for the ricers. Then again, that's a bad idea anyway, since the GN owners are in black cars and if the rice can't see you, well, they might not be able to avoid you lol

ya know what, screw those sissy E-Code lights. i'm springing for a set of nuclear bulbs, just like the ones on the space shuttle !!!

ok, just kidding. but how carried away can we get with this. all i wanted was a better looking light bulb, while its off mostly. and if it looks/works better while its on, so much the better. if they are what they seem to be i'll be happy with what i have. and the cost was reasonable.

:) :) :)

well, that's why this is america, land of the free.... to spend your money on whatever you want, even if it is bu!!sh!t

Just read this thread...

Question for everybody and TType84,

I've heard all these suggestions for upgrades, improved wiring etc. I forget what I have in the GN now, but with these improvements, has anybody experienced problems with headlights being so hot that the headlight bezels sag?? I know they commonly sag anyways, I just want to make sure my new ones aren't drooping globs of plastic soon. :)

For TType84, I see you have the diamond cut on your low beams. First, do you know of vendors or other places to pick these up, other then ebay?? Also, any plans for hi-beams.

Count on this group to have such a conversation about headlights. :)

After reading all of this Ill say Im thoroughly confused! However, I did learn a few things. I need to know what the best H1? light is for my T-type. When I drive at night, Im usually around the city, so I dont have to worry too much about seeing. But when I go back and forth from school, I drive on a pitch black 2 lane highway with those pesky deer all over the place! It sucks! Im constantly scanning each side of the road, and constantly playing with the high beams. On, Off, On, Off, due to oncoming traffic. From what Ive read, I see the XTRA Visions work well on the low beams, and the SilverStarts on the high beams.....correct?

BTW, Nick, are the lights on your low beams the ones off Ebay for 40 bucks a pair? I want those, I dont care if they are legal or not, I just want to be able to see better! I figure for 50 bucks, I should do the ones like yours vs 2 Silver Stars or XTRA Visions at 15-25 each. Im confused! Ahhhhh:D

Originally posted by 8UWITH6
From what Ive read, I see the XTRA Visions work well on the low beams, and the SilverStarts on the high beams.....correct?

no, the best combo would be the silverstars for low beams and the x-tra visions for the high-beams. problem is, they dont make x-tra vision high-beams.

yea, my low beams are the $50 shipped set off ebay

they dont sell the ones i bought anymore.. the only ones i see now are a different brand and im not sure if theyre dot or not or whatever..

i love how mine look, id like to get four, and maybe put orange bulbs in so they blink in the daytime.. i dunno.

but at night, they are brighter than the cool blues i have, but the beam pattern should be much much better, like the hella ones...

i wish i could get a diamond cut set that has an e code pattern.. if you guys find one let me know.

the ones i have are DOT. i don't know about the bulbs, but i don't care if they are or not.

if your interested in them, just search the words "eurolite" and "toucan" and i should bring up a bunch of vendors.

my beater uses the same setup, so i think this weekend i will put at least one in and check them out for myself, its suposed to be 60degs out !!!

btw, what is this e-code pattern ?

round lights-and cool blues

Hey guys, just to let you know, my car had sylvania halogens that were fogged up, looked bad. the lighting was poor at best, and i found that the reflecting film inside the bulb had disapeared from the water inside the bulb i guess. I replaced them with cool blues, and the light was tremendously better. bright WHITE light, only swapped low beams, and they are brighter than my clear halogen high beams, so the highs are worthless now. i dont care how much juice you send to the yellow halogens they sell, those xtra vision 80 percent more things, the white light helps more than anything. the yellow may have more wattage, or more output, but it doesnt light up like the white does. id like silver stars, but they are alot of money for me. for now i just swapped in ROUND headlights from a BMW M3, check it out,

5 bucks from a junkyard and this is what you get, but i dont know if i like it or not, its different though

www.insanelyquick.20fr.com/roundlights.jpg

www.insanelyquick.20fr.com/roundlight.jpg

I've been following this thread and just wanted to offer my own results. After looking at all the options here, I decided to get Hella H4 conversion low-beam headlights and the Casper's "headlight brightener" harness.

I looked at the Silver Stars and Xtravision headlights and frankly they looked gimmicky to me. I saw no difference at all in the lens and reflector on these headlights compared to standard halogen replacements. I found out I could get real Hella H4 replacements for $40, vs. $25 for Silver Stars, so I figured why take a chance on the gimmick?

I found the Hellas at www.man-a-fre.com, an off-roading supplier, for $40 each including bulbs and short connector harnesses. Then I got the Casper's headlight brightener harness for $79 (still on sale at this price and worth it IMO: 2 big relays, stout wiring and easy installation).

It's all installed now and all I can say is the difference is HUGE compared to stock headlights, even with the low-watt bulbs they came with (50/60w, I think). The Hellas have a bright white beam and a razor-sharp cutoff that puts all the light where you need it without blinding other drivers. They even make the car look better with their high-quality clear lens.

For high beams I still have basic cheapo halogen sealed beams. Maybe later I'll go with Hellas here too, but figured I'll use low beams mostly so I put my money there.

That is all...
;)

FWIW, a guy on here sells a complete 4 housing hella set, including bulbs, for $170 shipped

the CORRECT diamond cut headlights have the e-code cutoff, sadly, i dont have those. someone i know does however.. cost him $34.95 per set.

and i also made the headlight upgrade harness (per thirdgen.org's instructions) for about fifteen bucks.. made a huge difference.

a while back near the beginning of this thread i mentioned i tried the silverstars. i liked them better than the regular halogens i had been using. i have since gone to hella h4 for hi/lo and h1 for hi as well as the caspers wiring upgrade. WOW. the difference is night and day, literally :) with the high beams on its like daylight in front of me (using the caspers wiring feature that allows hi and low elements to both be illuminated on the h4's). but for normal driving with lows its still much, much better than the silverstar lights. there is no way ill go back to sealed beams. true, these are pricey, like mentioned above, $170 from a guy on the board here, but i feel they are worth every penny. i drive on a lot of roads that have deer at night and i feel more confortable now.

the 60/100w H4 for the lo/hi and 100w hi, like I said early on in this thread, will blow away any of them silver or xenon type things - there is no doubt and no comparison. The stock wires will deal with the hi/lo, but a simple relay is needed for the hi's.

If you really want to see a BIG difference in power, not just color, do the non sealed H4 type setup

obviously 100w highs are going to outdo 60w highs, thats a given.

the silverstar 9003 bulbs are as good as youre going to get if you dont want yellowish light, 4000k color temp isnt gonna happen with the hella's included bulbs.

the biggest difference youre probably going to notice is a swap from sealed beam to adequate housings, and the wire upgrade. if you go with higher wattages then thats gonna be a step up too.

YOU CANNOT COMPARE ANYTHING WITH THE STOCK WIRING TO ANYTHING WITH THE WIRING UPGRADE.

your stock wires will have less than 10 volts most likely, and the wiring upgrade provides full alternator voltage, which is, in my case, 14.6v at the headlight plug. if you put the sealed beams in with the full 14+ v they will be MUCH brighter than they used to be.

Originally posted by TType84

YOU CANNOT COMPARE ANYTHING WITH THE STOCK WIRING TO ANYTHING WITH THE WIRING UPGRADE.

your stock wires will have less than 10 volts most likely, and the wiring upgrade provides full alternator voltage, which is, in my case, 14.6v at the headlight plug. if you put the sealed beams in with the full 14+ v they will be MUCH brighter than they used to be.
this is true. i received the wiring upgrade before the hella's so i put that on the silverstars for a couple days. it was noticably better so if you wanna keep the sealed beams, the wiring upgrade is a good idea.

ATTN NICK

Hey Nick, I think I found a deal on these diamond cuts. I *think* I can get them for 15 bucks each, just lenses and the rubber boot cover....I am not sure if it includes the harnesses. If not, will I have a problem wiring them myself? The harness in the pictures on your page look basically like extensions with different plug ends....am I correct? Anyway, I think Im gonna do those diamond cuts with the little blue "parking light" in the headlight lense, with the Silverstar H4 9003 bulbs.....anything else Im missing? Im tired of not being able to see....and I think these diamond cuts will go good with my clear corners and clear bumper lenses in my Ttype :) Thanks, let me know about the wiring.

PS- about the bulbs, would I need 2 or 3 prongs.....Im assuming 3 prongs on low and 2 prongs on the highs.....can I use 3 prongs on both lows and highs? Thanks

are you planning on doing the wiring upgrade? if so, run over to

www.delcity.net

this is a bad ass company that has everything electronic at really nice prices, thy also have the 3 prong headlight connectors. you'll have to redo them with 10 gauge wire though, cause they come with 14 gauge wire. anyway.. yeah you can use 3 prong on all four.

make sure the diamond cuts you get are a good beam pattern, and if they are, im buying four !! i'll sell these ones i have to some ghetto dude with a lowrider monte or something..

even with the stock wires you shouldnt have a problem, you'll just have to swap the wires around in the plastic plug till you get it right. i can help you with that.