Weldon 1100A failure

TurboBuRick

Staff member
IMG_5521.JPG
After six years of trouble free operation my Weldon fuel pump finally crapped out.
I pulled it apart this morning and found the epoxy failed that holds the magnets in the motor housing. I imagine this is the reason these pumps are not rated for E 85.

Wow, Jim Craig from Weldon pumps called me today. I sent him a message earlier this morning explaining the problem. He said this is the first one to fail.
He is going to send me out a new motor tomorrow. A1 service right there.

Wow, Jim Craig from Weldon pumps called me today. I sent him a message earlier this morning explaining the problem. He said this is the first one to fail.

Was common on the SX and Early Aeromotive pumps .. been corrected for a while .. Except they used to charge $85 to have them rebuilt

is this the reason they are not safe for ethanol fuels? does the alcohol disturb the glued in magnets?

is this the reason they are not safe for ethanol fuels? does the alcohol disturb the glued in magnets?

On the SX and Aeromotive it ultimately was a defective epoxy as well as process issue.. it was NOT related to ethanol contentv, as it happened on fuel too

I can't comment on the Weldons maybe Rick can give us more detail as info comes in.

Talking to Jim about the situation, fuel type was a concern. That said I have to assume this is the reason the pumps are not e85 compatable.

I will update this thread as new developments come in.

Great to hear that Mr.Craig took care of you like that! He is a super helpful guy and I really appreciate the ability to reach out to him for questions and ideas I have. Makes me feel very blessed to have them as a sponsor.

Jim is a great guy to deal with. Had the pleasure of talking to him numerous times while I was using their pumps on my staged combo. I had the same pump too. very quiet, easy to mount, and needs no fuel controller. I just reached the limit of what one pump would handle and didn't want to use 2 of them because of the modifications it would require to my gas tank, so I went with the Weldon 2025A that served me well for a good amount of time too.

Jim is a great guy to deal with. Had the pleasure of talking to him numerous times while I was using their pumps on my staged combo. I had the same pump too. very quiet, easy to mount, and needs no fuel controller. I just reached the limit of what one pump would handle and didn't want to use 2 of them because of the modifications it would require to my gas tank, so I went with the Weldon 2025A that served me well for a good amount of time too.

You actually took this pump to its limit? Over 1000hp?

Yes sir. 1,000hp is not that pumps limit (maybe flywheel hp). 750 rear wheel is where it will run out of steam. Cal flew up to tune my car and the duty cycle was too high, that's what sparked the change to the Weldon 2025A.

i spoke to Jim today. Ethanol based fuels damage the commutator by glazing it. He recommended using a pump that does not have a "submerged" motor.

I think I installed my 1100 back in 2011. I run pump 93 E10, hopefully it holds up long term.