water leak and fan comes on immediately

chicago

Chitown
Unbelievable... just got my car back from a long time of removing Chicago rust. Flat-bed dropped off my car. Noticed fan was on immediately. Got in garage and noticed water leaking on the ground just behind the front pass wheel well. So, two problems --- fan comes on instantly on start-up, and water leak on ground. Seems like leak it's coming from the underside of the heater core box. That's one. Fan delay relay for the other?

I 2nd the delay relay. I also had a bad ECM it ran in limp mode and fans ran all the time. TCC stayed engaged also.

thanks fellas. so, it looks like I'll be trying to find that crazy delay relay and replacing the heater core. fun fun. does anyone know where we can find the delay relay? I checked rockauto and it seems like they might have the right one, listed under FOUR SEASONS Part # 36032. thoughts?

Did you unplug the relay to be sure that was the problem? I believe its the middle one on driver side fender.

Fan delay relay. I had the same problem about a month ago. Replaced it, and all was well. Sounds like your heater core is on it's way out, too. :eek:

so I ordered the part from rockauto, only to go outside and find that the relay was slightly unplugged. makes sense. put the connector back on, and the fan DID NOT come on when I started the car. It came on at about 160-70 degrees.

still confused about the water drip on the passenger side. no coolant at all, and no coolant or water inside the car, just a regular drip onto the ground from underneath the heater box. should I expect water if the core is going bad, or coolant, or a mix?

so I ordered the part from rockauto, only to go outside and find that the relay was slightly unplugged. makes sense. put the connector back on, and the fan DID NOT come on when I started the car. It came on at about 160-70 degrees.

still confused about the water drip on the passenger side. no coolant at all, and no coolant or water inside the car, just a regular drip onto the ground from underneath the heater box. should I expect water if the core is going bad, or coolant, or a mix?

did you have the A/C on today?

if you did the water your seeing dripping if the condensation drain it's normal for it to do that. (will be plain water)

Also with the A/C running the fans will run all the time with the motor running.

If the fan is continuing to run after the engine is turned off then the delay relay is the culprit.

just got my car back today. I noticed the drip BEFORE I put the AC on. AC blew cold, and the coolant temp seemed normal. It idled for about 30 minutes and got to 190-200 with AC on high.

So, just a nagging water drip that lands just behind the pass front wheel well. hoses are all dry. not sure what's up, but ordered a new heater core anyway.

what else could it be?