video of 2 gn's killin a viper...anyone seen this??

Oaktown

t-typeless for 5 yrs..ugh
there is a video on the internet of 2 gn's dusting a viper...i like this and all b/c im a gn owner but something doesnt seem right with this video...shouldnt the viper actually be closer...did this guy miss a shift or was this staged or did he just get dusted real bad?? whatever the case its a great couple seconds of national's killing a viper...haha...

IIRC, the GN with the banner in the window is cal hartline's? Anyway it's not a typical GN (which would be slaughtered by a viper).

The viper seemed to be staying with them except when he'd shift, then he'd lose a carlength or two, so it's not like he got stomped that bad.

Originally posted by jastrckl
IIRC, the GN with the banner in the window is cal hartline's? Anyway it's not a typical GN (which would be slaughtered by a viper).

Most Vipers aren't as quick as you think. They may be hauling by the time they get to a 1/4 mile, but even a stock turbo T/R can can stay ahead of every stock Viper (even the 500 hp ones) in the 1/4 mile.

I've beaten a few at the track and it wasn't close.

The Camera car in Video is Jeff Fox. His build up is on GNT-type.org under 11's for $1500.

Originally posted by UNGN
Most Vipers aren't as quick as you think. They may be hauling by the time they get to a 1/4 mile, but even a stock turbo T/R can can stay ahead of every stock Viper (even the 500 hp ones) in the 1/4 mile.

i totally agree with that statement-

one night i ended up doing a rolling 30 punch vs. a 95 RT (vert) when i had my TTA#340.
My car was on pump gas and i had a passenger, we went up to about 120 or so and he never could catch me, and he hit it first:cool: i stayed ahead of him about 2 full cars, but i wasnt pulling away from him... good race.

i returned to my local hangout from where i spotted the viper in the first place.

about 10 minutes go by, and this guy pulls up in a 1086cc custom crotch rocket..... he flips up his visor and asks if i want to run him in the bike.
i told the guy hell no, my car isnt that fast!!

his next words were, what the hell you got done to that Turbo Trans Am?? you just beat me in my VIPER!!!!LOL!!

i couldnt believe it was the same guy:eek: we ended up talking for awhile, and he gave much respect to my car and how quick it was for being mostly all stock! car would run 12.7s on pump gas and a splash of xylene.

true story:D
BW

I belive that is dave bamford ( top gun) and mike bamford ( bad newz) when those guys were running 11's. I also think the vid was takin back in 98 or 99.

A slightly modded TR with a driver who knows how to drive can handle a Viper. As long as the road is straight. There are a lot of Vipers around here and I used to run them all the time in my GN. I am not saying I never lost, but from a 20 roll, a TR is lethal. Sorry about the play on words, couldn't pass it up.

Nope, Jeff Fox way back many years ago.

Originally posted by Trbobuick
I belive that is dave bamford ( top gun) and mike bamford ( bad newz) when those guys were running 11's. I also think the vid was takin back in 98 or 99.

Originally posted by Trbobuick

Jeff Fox's GN was in the lead I believe he was running hi 11's and I was running low 12's trying to catch him. The Viper claimed to miss a shift, we offered another shot at us he declined due to the car having a manufactures plate on it. The guy worked for Chrysler and didn't want to lose his job. I think the race went down in 97 or 98.

Originally posted by top gun
The Viper claimed to miss a shift, we offered another shot at us he declined due to the car having a manufactures plate on it. The guy worked for Chrysler and didn't want to lose his job. I think the race went down in 97 or 98.

Imagine that. I know I have never heard that from a Mustang or F body guy before.

I think the video shows how "peaky" hp can be deceiving. You can see the viper start to pull about a second before the shift. That is what happens when hp peaks quickly like that. So you look at the supposed hp a car makes and it doesn't tell the whole story.

Originally posted by Oaktown
there is a video on the internet of 2 gn's dusting a viper...i like this and all b/c im a gn owner but something doesnt seem right with this video...shouldnt the viper actually be closer...did this guy miss a shift or was this staged or did he just get dusted real bad?? whatever the case its a great couple seconds of national's killing a viper...haha...

NO, I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT VIDEO. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

^^^^^SARCASM

Originally posted by UNGN
even a stock turbo T/R can can stay ahead of every stock Viper (even the 500 hp ones) in the 1/4 mile.

UMMM, OK. C&D RUNS 11.9 WITH A 500 HP VIPER. MY SISTER COULD PROB DRIVE IT TO A HI 12. IF IT WAS A RACE B/W A REAL STOCK (NOT STOCK TURBO) T/R AND A 500 HP VIPER, MY MONEY WOULD BE ON THE VIPER 100%. GNs = HI 13s BEST, 500 HP VIPER = HI 11s BEST.

Originally posted by turbo buicks
UMMM, OK. C&D RUNS 11.9 WITH A 500 HP VIPER. MY SISTER COULD PROB DRIVE IT TO A HI 12. IF IT WAS A RACE B/W A REAL STOCK (NOT STOCK TURBO) T/R AND A 500 HP VIPER, MY MONEY WOULD BE ON THE VIPER 100%. GNs = HI 13s BEST, 500 HP VIPER = HI 11s BEST.

Ah, but 90% of TR's are NOT stock...and 90% of Vipers ARE. Nobody is saying that a stock GN will take a stock Viper, but a warmed over GN will.

OK MY BAD I SEE NOW HE SAID STOCK TURBO T/R. I THOUGHT HE MEANT STOCK TURBO REGAL WHICH IS REDUNDANT. TOP OF THE MORNIN TO YA SIR.