video of 2 gn's killin a viper...anyone seen this??

Originally posted by turbo buicks
YOU DONT HAVE TO BE SUCH A FAGOT ABOUT PETTY STUFF LIKE CAPS. DEAL WITH IT, I'LL TYPE HOW I LIKE.

Ok, how about he be that way about non petty things like you calling him a "fagot"? (misspelled by the way). There are plenty of "fagots" out there that can and will kick someone's ass for that. And typing in all caps IS annoying. Top of the morning to ya, sir.

lol i love it, you ppl make me laugh i think that my national will smoke a viper even the knew ones of course my national is far from stock soo.... forget it but you know even all the extras i put in my car dont add up to the crazy high priced viper so the viper can suck a nut for all i care, and guys kiss and make up :eek:
lol

but even a stock turbo T/R can can stay ahead of every stock Viper (even the 500 hp ones) in the 1/4 mile.

That has got to be the most ridiculous statement a GN guy could make. We all love our black cars and the T/R's but think back to the days when they came out "STOCK". None of them would even see 14's off the showroom floor. We tweeked and bolted on a few goodies just to see the 14's. With a few bucks the 13's came easy. Now, 16 years later, 11's and 10's are only $$$ thousands away.

Take the Viper or the Z06 right off the showroom floor to the track. Instant 12's. They may be high 12's but it is still a 12. Oh yea, the Viper is $85K and the Z06 $50K, but we're not talking price. Would we pay that kind of money for a Blackhawk? How about a V6 Turbo Blackhawk? The line would be long.

That has got to be the most ridiculous statement a GN guy could make. We all love our black cars and the T/R's but think back to the days when they came out "STOCK". None of them would even see 14's off the showroom floor. We tweeked and bolted on a few goodies just to see the 14's. With a few bucks the 13's came easy. Now, 16 years later, 11's and 10's are only $$$ thousands away

Ah, yes, but didn't he say a "stock turbo turbo regal"? Although a stock turbo regal would in no way win a race with a viper, one wit a stock turbo could forseeably pull off a high 12 sec. 1320 time.

We've already ran 12.78 in the TTA........stock turbo.....yeah, I know it's not a TR, but I have real world experience with it.

BA

Originally posted by Epitome
I think the video shows how "peaky" hp can be deceiving. You can see the viper start to pull about a second before the shift. That is what happens when hp peaks quickly like that. So you look at the supposed hp a car makes and it doesn't tell the whole story.

That's the truth. With my race with an 00 GTS at the top of each gear he would pull about a foot on me and then I would put about a carlength back on him. I ended up with a couple cars at the end of the 1/4 even though he probably made more peak hp.

Originally posted by opeltwinturbo
That has got to be the most ridiculous statement a GN guy could make. We all love our black cars and the T/R's but think back to the days when they came out "STOCK". None of them would even see 14's off the showroom floor. We tweeked and bolted on a few goodies just to see the 14's. With a few bucks the 13's came easy. Now, 16 years later, 11's and 10's are only $$$ thousands away.

I said "Stock turbo T/R" meaning "a T/R with the turbo that came with the car in 1986-87".

I didn't say a "Stock T/R" as that would be stupid.

As for "anybody" being able to run 11.9's in a new Viper, 100% stock, go to the track next time you local Viper club is there. Ask them why none of them can. I dare you.

A turbo Regal in 1986 and 1987 would run low 14's easily and into the high 13's with good conditions. In April, 1986 my 86 GN ran 13.95 at 99 mph. The car was raced as it was delivered from GM. The car was not special. At that time many turbo Regals ran as fast and some ran faster. There were no chips on the market to my knowledge in early 1986. To compare an 86/87 performance car to a current model 450-500 hp Viper or to a 405 hp Z06 weighing in at 3050 lbs is apples to oranges. With the stock motor and stock turbo with simple bolt-ons such as k&N filter, test pipe, chip and open dump the car ran 12.1 at 113. With a TE 34 turbo at 21 #'s boost, air to water intercooler and a lot of tweeking it ran 11.17 at 122. The valve covers had never been off at that point. With head work (no other motor work) it ran 10.7 at 125 mph. And this was accomplished on a very low dollar investment. Now lets talk about the initial cost of a Viper and the cost of modifications to that car.

The best part of it is when the GN launches and the camera jerks back really hard... gotta love it.

Last time I attended a private track rental at Atco Racewy in NJ, there was a stock Viper that ran very low 12's all day. I remember this because my car was running low 12's all day and finally hit an 11.97 on the last run.

My observation on the viper, it does a great job on the 1/4, but was crossing the finish line with more gears to go. In other words, once you get past the 1/4, the viper would spank a GN.
Obviously the viper handles a lot better when you get north of 120mph also.

I was counting his shifts and I think it was crossing the finish line at 120mph, but it was still in fourth gear....These cars have a lot more 'upstairs' than our cars.

PS - A guy I work with has a Viper . He recently put on the Nitrous and went straight into the 10's and was thrown off the track for no roll cage. Now that is street lethal.