Valued Opinions On MAF's

I speak from ACTUAL experience using rebuilt MAF's. What are you speaking from? Was your .2 second / 2mph (20 hp) gain a documented improvement or a seat of the pants dyno gain? And your slanderous comments about the auto parts store MAF's couldn't be any further from the truth. Yes there are some cheap rebuilds out there but to label them ALL crap? Do you think Kirban has some special Elve's in his basement making these things? :biggrin:

Yes, documented improvements. Actually slightly better than .2 and 2 mph but I rounded down. This was moving from a good "original" stock maf, up to a 3" LT1 and then from there up to a 3.5" LS1 MAF and the assosciated translator + hardware.
Sorry, but I disagree. Auto parts stores MAF in fact are very seldom correctly calibrated (it's pretty much been proven time and time again). All one has to do is read the associated posts. In fact many are being sold for the GN aren't even a turbo calibration but rather the N/A calibration MAF's. How many pictures do you see here and various other places throughout the internet where some poor unsuspecting T/R owner in now sporting the "hour glass" shaped MAF? I see it a lot.
I don't know anything about Kirban's stuff. Haven't used them and wasn't speaking of them. I've moved beyond the stock maf's anyway.

Yes, documented improvements. Actually slightly better than .2 and 2 mph but I rounded down. This was moving from a good "original" stock maf, up to a 3" LT1 and then from there up to a 3.5" LS1 MAF and the assosciated translator + hardware.
Sorry, but I disagree. Auto parts stores MAF in fact are very seldom correctly calibrated (it's pretty much been proven time and time again). All one has to do is read the associated posts. In fact many are being sold for the GN aren't even a turbo calibration but rather the N/A calibration MAF's. How many pictures do you see here and various other places throughout the internet where some poor unsuspecting T/R owner in now sporting the "hour glass" shaped MAF? I see it a lot.
I don't know anything about Kirban's stuff. Haven't used them and wasn't speaking of them. I've moved beyond the stock maf's anyway.

Were these documented tests on the same track day & run at the same boost level? .2 from 2 sets of larger MAF's & the hardware? IMPRESSIVE!! It seems some have seen a 2 lbs. boost increase with these sensors, could that be the great source of the power increase? I have also seen poor quality rebuilt stock MAF's & the wrong one's installed but i've also seen plenty of poor running cars with translator issues, rattling MAF pipes & the other trinket's needed to make this stuff work. With plenty of cars running in the 9's & 10's with the stock MAF's is it fair to label all stock MAF's as "crap"? I guess if you like the NOPI tuner look under your hood you might as well add a 6' aluminum wing to your trunk lid, i'm sure you will gain .2 on a road course somewhere. ;)

I bought a car with a RMFG MAF on it and it did not work correctly. The MAFs only went to 210 grams or so. I have also heard a lot of bad things about auto part store MAFs from this board. I do not think I would go that route either.

I don't know about documented tests.... but the fact that the boost came up is an indication of the increased flow into the turbo. If you had your home air compressor... and you took the air filter off... and fabricated a short piece of 1/4" brake line that was welded to the suction pipe behind where the airfilter is...... cut the compressor on....see how long it takes to fill up with air......now let the air back out......take the pipe off....re-install the air filter and time it again.

Not exactly the same....but a close approximation.

Anything you can do pre-turbo or post-turbo will help alot vs restricting it.

I am not saying that there aren't some real fast cars with the stock MAF.... to each there own.... but physics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer still apply. Remove restrictions before and after the compressor... and it will flow more CFM.

Were these documented tests on the same track day & run at the same boost level? .2 from 2 sets of larger MAF's & the hardware? IMPRESSIVE!! It seems some have seen a 2 lbs. boost increase with these sensors, could that be the great source of the power increase? I have also seen poor quality rebuilt stock MAF's & the wrong one's installed but i've also seen plenty of poor running cars with translator issues, rattling MAF pipes & the other trinket's needed to make this stuff work. With plenty of cars running in the 9's & 10's with the stock MAF's is it fair to label all stock MAF's as "crap"? I guess if you like the NOPI tuner look under your hood you might as well add a 6' aluminum wing to your trunk lid, i'm sure you will gain .2 on a road course somewhere. ;)

To answer your first sentance, yes. Same day, same track, same everything, and to add to that, the translator hadn't even been optimally tuned yet.
I think I'll terminate my participation in your ongoing arguement. It's apperent that you have your ideas and I never was trying to sway your beliefs. Someone asked for honest results. I gave them. I dont need to be badgered, and your last sentance was pretty much uncalled for and pretty much sums up where you're coming from. Take a look at my photo gallery, the GN folder, and the very first picture is that of my 86's engine bay. Second picture just shows a couple of addapters I needed for the larger MAF. Is that the looks of a NOPI tuner??????? I don't think so anyway. After all, I'm not trying to capture the "pure stock" look.
I suppose since I've only been racing and tuning this same GN for a little over 20 years has no bearing. So be it.

BTW, I've decided to go completely mafless with the translator pro, so the underhood appearence will be even cleaner (and freer breathing!!!)

Translator

Been thinking about getting rid of the old stocker. What does it cost to get set up with a translator + 3.5" maf? Can you still run a Turbo Tweak alky chip ? Will the fuel and timing parameters still function? If I can gain .2 sec or 2mph that will be money well spent. Have a couple friends BigAir and ROC 87 that said they like theirs. Hopefully I can get set up for close to 250 bills. Who has the best prices Full Throttle? Think Turbo Tweak has them I'll check out his site. Also need a Aluminum wing so this Buick will look like the NASCAR COT .

Been thinking about getting rid of the old stocker. What does it cost to get set up with a translator + 3.5" maf? Can you still run a Turbo Tweak alky chip ? Will the fuel and timing parameters still function? If I can gain .2 sec or 2mph that will be money well spent. Have a couple friends BigAir and ROC 87 that said they like theirs. Hopefully I can get set up for close to 2 bills. Who has the best prices Full Throttle?

Yes the TT chip will work fine. You will still be able to adjust fuel and timing in the chip just like normal. You set the translator dipswitches for the type of MAF meter you have... and the type of chip you are using (TT chip is a considered a stock type chip)

Fullthrottle will beat any price... I think it is a 115% Gaurantee or something...

I bought my translator used.... $100 for translator... $80 for a new LS1 MAF meter from FullThrottle...but I also bought a 3-1/2" MAF pipe from BuickGN.com and a 4" Big Mouth Cold Air Kit....which was alot more $$

Obviously you could adapt the MAF up using some homemade stuff from home depot to save $$..... some have posted about doing this.

HTH

You want my opinion on MAF sensors? GET RID OF IT! Go to a translator PRO system with a wideband and never look back. My car has never ran better in its life.

MAF Translator

Translator pro Speed Density???

Is the Translator Pro plug and play. Have Razor's Alky which if I remember we put in a 3 bar MAP, would probably need to switch it out to a 5 bar to tee in for pres. reading? So you change out MAP and make appropriate connections and switch Translator to Speed Density that's it. Do you need wideband or can you get by with EGT? Now the wideband works in conjunction with the Translator ? Does it take place of the OEM o2 sensor or do you need another bung?

Eric at Turbo Tweak has the Translator and 3.5" MAF for the same price as Full Throttle, of coarse FullThrottle is the outfit that supports their product

don_3D Thanks for posting Translator Pro by reading the page I was able to answer most of my questions. Probably twice the cost over the plain jane Translator to get up and running

Flyin GN where you gettin it for 260?

Thanks Blazer you got yours for 100 bones wow have to keep my eyes open, was thinking of getting something for Father's Day a Translator would be great(more realistic at this time) a TPro would be awesome

Just checked out the translator pro at full throttle speeds webpage. Yes, mor expensive compared to translator and lt1 or ls1 sensor, but for all the additional tuning capability, and to totally eliminate the maf out of your intake system, wouldn't this be the ultimate way to go for any of us who's stock maf has just bit the dust? and want more tuning capability? especially with the frustration of the replacement stock mafs alot of us have dealt with?

I would think kirban's sensors would be a safe bet on getting a good reman unit, but still, its $185. why not save up a couple more hundred if your planning on progressing with your turbobuick, and have peace of mind that you won't ever have to deal with maf's again?
I am using the lt1 and translator on both my gn's, and haven't had one problem with them, but when I get a little further along with my tuning learning curve, and after I get caught up with some other mods,... I think I'll go mafless. am I pointing out the obvious here? go easy on me, I'm still a newbie when it comes to tuning. not trying to hijack thread, just trying to learn.

I'm with you tb3 - Mafless would be nice but I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of tuning just yet for the transpro not to mention the cost.
I didn't expect to learn as much as I have about mafs when I started this thread. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond and share their ideas about mafs.
Hey ChavoLC2 it's funny you mentioned fathers day. My wife came up to me today and asked what I wanted for my car for fathers day! :cool:

LT1, LS1 or Z06 Maf's are readily available and flow a ton more air, add in the translator to help tweak fueling and even timing and you have a great combo.

I had a remanned Maf and it read 248 at WOT, if you can find one that is calibrated correctly then more power to you, but don't be surprised if the ratio is 4:1 or even worse.

Anyone know the failure rate between stock MAF's, aftermarket MAF's, and wideband O2's?

And which if failed could damage the motor due to causing an improper tune?

I have both a stock MAF car and a translator and aftermarket 3.5" MAF car, and they run and tune about the same, both with cold air kits.

I wouldn't trust anything but a NOS MAF on the stock one, and they are about $300-$400 now I would assume for NOS.

So the cost of switching over is always a good idea and is less restrictive.

MAFless for the long haul is up in the air for me right now, I would like to know what happens if the wideband goes funky or out completely? :confused:

Anyone know the failure rate between stock MAF's, aftermarket MAF's, and wideband O2's?

And which if failed could damage the motor due to causing an improper tune?

I would like to know what happens if the wideband goes funky or out completely? :confused:

I know the Innovate unit (LM-1 or LC-1) is configureable.... that if it goes haywire.... you can tell it what o2 reading you want it to put out....Anotherwords....you might set it to show 15.5:1 if it somehow looses signal... or goes outside acceptable range.... it will automatically send the signal out like it was 15.5:1.... and of course... you ECM will be trying to add fuel to get to... 11.5:1... or whatever you had your target set at.... cause it thinks the mixture went lean...... It will add a crapload (this is a measureable quantity.... :biggrin: that usually puts out black smoke out the tailpipe) of fuel trying to get to 11.5:1...... obviously your run will not be a very good ET... but your engine should be fine....at least that is how it is supposed to work.....

Make sense?

TurboDave has been doing this longer than most of us put together, I wouldn't just toss aside his opinion. He knows his stuff and deserves a little more respect than is being given.

"Make sense?"

A lot more than a TurboBob written owners manual. :eek: ;) :biggrin: :p

That would be a good way to set it up in case one failed, the black smoke diagnosis. :cool:

Sounds like the way to go in the future, I'd have to sell my two extra stock MAF's to finance the deal. ;)