Valued Opinions On MAF's

Turbo-Fun

My stock MAF went bad. A new rebuilt one from Kirban is $185 So forget that.
I will buy either an LT1 or an LS1 with a translater. Besides diameter what is the difference between these two and which would everyone recommend.
I have a TA60, 009's, cat gone, and chip. Thanks for any help and suggestions. :smile:

i think...

i think the major difference is the lt-1 maf is a 3 inch and the ls-1 can be 3 or 3 1/2 inch i might be wrong but maby someone will ring in and correct me if so. My opinion is get the translator and the 3 1/2 ls-1 maf full throttle has them new for like 89bucks just remember to get the adapters for the intake pipes.. good luck

with the ls1 3.5 maf and translator, the driveablity is a major improvement, its an all around bad ass upgrade.. i highly recomend doing it..

Thanks you. The one thing I did notice is that the LS1 is cheaper than the LT1 yet the LS1 is the more recent and larger MAF.

I just popped for an LS1 3.5 new maf and just bought a translator today from Mike. I had TWO brand NEW OEM GM maf's that were bad..

Right now I am running a Caspers chip. 26 degrees timing. I run 22 pounds of boost. Stock downpipe stock exhaust with dump. Best time to date 12.05 at 108. Consistant 12.20's.

sounds good, you be happy with the translator and 3.5 maf.. its very noticeable improvement in idle, cruse and wot

I just popped for an LS1 3.5 new maf and just bought a translator today from Mike. I had TWO brand NEW OEM GM maf's that were bad..
I would like to stay with a stock MAF but not at Kirbans price. I thought I would eventually go with an LT1 or LS1 one day when there were no more stock mafs. But for a little extra I'll go ahead and get the LS1 on recommendations here.

It seems the LS1 is the maf of choice over the LT1. Will be ordering tomorrow. It's nice to be able to get opinions about parts when you are not sure. Turbo6chicago I'm one of the race chairmans of the Chicagoland chapter of the GSCA. Are you in the club?

I would like to stay with a stock MAF but not at Kirbans price. I thought I would eventually go with an LT1 or LS1 one day when there were no more stock mafs. But for a little extra I'll go ahead and get the LS1 on recommendations here.

LS1 MAF and translator here. I won't go back. I picked up almost 2 psi boost without touching the wastegate.... if that tells you how much less of a restriction that is. Good upgrade IMHO.

What is the total cost to install an LS1 MAF? Translator, LS1 sensor, chip?, Larger air filter, hoses, Inlet pipe & brackets. It seems like a lot of money for just a little gain?

You can probally find a rebuilt stock MAF at any major Auto parts store for around $70.00 with a 1 year warranty. Spend the rest of the cash where you will really see some gains..., Alky kit, downpipe, drag radials, etc....

Just my opinion as i like to keep things simple. :)

UNDER-PRESSURE, I am the king of keeping it simple and I'm cheap!! LOL :smile:
You don't need anything you mentioned. Just adaptor sleeves. Rubber - very cheap and simple! I've had alot of negative feedback on parts store bought rebuilt mafs.

Before you decide....Search on Mike Licht's name. He has a new product coming out that you should consider. :)

What is the total cost to install an LS1 MAF? Translator, LS1 sensor, chip?, Larger air filter, hoses, Inlet pipe & brackets. It seems like a lot of money for just a little gain?

You can probally find a rebuilt stock MAF at any major Auto parts store for around $70.00 with a 1 year warranty. Spend the rest of the cash where you will really see some gains..., Alky kit, downpipe, drag radials, etc....

Just my opinion as i like to keep things simple. :)

Are you speaking from actual experience or just speculation? Those of us that have switched over have noticed more than just a "little" gain. I'd say .2 and 2mph is a huge gain.
And the auto parts store mafs have pretty much proven to be nothing more than a piece of crap, with very poor calibration curves.

Are you speaking from actual experience or just speculation? Those of us that have switched over have noticed more than just a "little" gain. I'd say .2 and 2mph is a huge gain.
And the auto parts store mafs have pretty much proven to be nothing more than a piece of crap, with very poor calibration curves.

I speak from ACTUAL experience using rebuilt MAF's. What are you speaking from? Was your .2 second / 2mph (20 hp) gain a documented improvement or a seat of the pants dyno gain? And your slanderous comments about the auto parts store MAF's couldn't be any further from the truth. Yes there are some cheap rebuilds out there but to label them ALL crap? Do you think Kirban has some special Elve's in his basement making these things? :biggrin:

I have a question.I seen lt1 and it was programmed to run with no maf.It ran in speed density mode?Is there any advantages/disadvantages if car is in this mode?Could it be done to a buick?

Before you decide....Search on Mike Licht's name. He has a new product coming out that you should consider. :)
I think you're talking about the 4" MAF - I saw that but it is 4 to 6 weeks away and I can't wait that long. If it was available now I would strongly consider it. Thanks.

I have a question.I seen lt1 and it was programmed to run with no maf.It ran in speed density mode?Is there any advantages/disadvantages if car is in this mode?Could it be done to a buick?
Check with full throttle (fullthrottlespeed.com) they have several setups one of which is a speed density setup.