Valued Opinions On MAF's

TurboDave has been doing this longer than most of us put together, I wouldn't just toss aside his opinion. He knows his stuff and deserves a little more respect than is being given.

Thanks for your valued input. :wink: It's nice to know there are a few other nuts who have been playing with these cars for 20 years. :biggrin:

So now that we know rebuilt stock MAF's are "crap" as stated from a well respected expert, What is involved to get these setup's "optimally" tuned? If i can really pick up .2 from just a MAF change i might just have to try one.

I bought one remfg maf and it was bad. Car leaned out because the grams only went to 210. Could have cuased major damage if I was not paying attention to the knock gauge. My buddy tried 2 napa MAfs and they did not work either. Maybe we had bad luck. But that was enough to make me stick with a known good GM one or try another route. IE translator or Mafless.

I talked to the Max Effort guy and he said the cars he saw picked up about a tenth going from a MAF version of his set up to a MAfless set up. And that was on a mid 10 second car. Steve told me in general, he does not think there is a big performance gain going Mafless. I know opinions very. :p

Thanks for your valued input. :wink: It's nice to know there are a few other nuts who have been playing with these cars for 20 years. :biggrin:

So now that we know rebuilt stock MAF's are "crap" as stated from a well respected expert, What is involved to get these setup's "optimally" tuned? If i can really pick up .2 from just a MAF change i might just have to try one.

Valued to some I suppose:)

Put a T+ and a LS1 maf on yours and see what you pick up. I picked up 3 tenths back in the day when I switched to the T+ and 3½ maf when I was basically stock. Since the TPro and Gen2 has come out a T+ can be had pretty cheap nowdays.

You want my opinion on MAF sensors? GET RID OF IT! Go to a translator PRO system with a wideband and never look back. My car has never ran better in its life.

MAF Translator

Is there anything complicated with the initial setup and getting it run properly? I like the idea of going MAFless but do not want to pull all of my hair out trying to get the darn thing to run right.

Been thinking about getting rid of the old stocker. What does it cost to get set up with a translator + 3.5" maf? Can you still run a Turbo Tweak alky chip ? Will the fuel and timing parameters still function? If I can gain .2 sec or 2mph that will be money well spent. Have a couple friends BigAir and ROC 87 that said they like theirs. Hopefully I can get set up for close to 250 bills. Who has the best prices Full Throttle? Think Turbo Tweak has them I'll check out his site. Also need a Aluminum wing so this Buick will look like the NASCAR COT .

This is off the subject but your car is killer! I never would have guessed silver would look that good.