V6 Alky Plate

Sydwyndr

Admin
Staff member
Hey guys, I was just tooling around with an idea for a nitrous style alky plate. Here is a rough photochop of the idea that I have from an RJC plate (No offense Jason I hope). It seems that you could simply change to different size pills based on your particular power needs, Im not an expert by any stretch however it seems feasible to use with the Razor kit with little or no more tuning than the current nozzle set up just by dialing it in. Im not talking solenoids or anything just different size pills. I think that this would definately have a cleaner look and not require a dual nozzle set up.

Thoughts??
alkyplate.jpg

Hey guys, I was just tooling around with an idea for a nitrous style alky plate. Here is a rough photochop of the idea that I have from an RJC plate (No offense Jason I hope). It seems that you could simply change to different size pills based on your particular power needs, Im not an expert by any stretch however it seems feasible to use with the Razor kit with little or no more tuning than the current nozzle set up just by dialing it in. Im not talking solenoids or anything just different size pills. I think that this would definately have a cleaner look and not require a dual nozzle set up.

Thoughts??
alkyplate.jpg
looks like a great idea probably keep the alky from getting in the vacuum lines and pvc line. on the otherhand i wonder how many times you would have to explain you are not running nitrous

Seems like a great idea, but I had thought that the alky nozzle needed to be placed a certain distance from the intake valves, so it could fully evaporate before getting into the cylinder?

I tried one on my car. I never got it worked out. I do like the idea though. You do need a solenoid to keep it from sucking in alky. It was stealthier than nozzles. I think you loose some of the charge air cooling effect too. I'd be interested to see other peoples opinions.

Seems like a great idea, but I had thought that the alky nozzle needed to be placed a certain distance from the intake valves, so it could fully evaporate before getting into the cylinder?

Good response, and I'm sure that that would play a part in it. Also there may be a problem with being able to mist it as well (per Razor). Keep 'em coming!

Interesting. I guess simply idling around and normal driving the engine vaccum would draw in the alky. I understand that.

When I first put it on I figured it out the hard way. It acted like a stuck injector but without any smoke. It wouldn't even idle. I felt like an idiot.I thought it wouldn't draw through the pump. The alky solonoids are about $100.00.

When I first put it on I figured it out the hard way. It acted like a stuck injector but without any smoke. It wouldn't even idle. I felt like an idiot.I thought it wouldn't draw through the pump. The alky solonoids are about $100.00.

Or a check valve would work

DetailPage

Thing I would wonder about is how well it atomizes the alcohol. Most nozzles for alky kits spray a pretty fine mist.

By having the alky line in the dead center like that wouldn't you need 6 small holes spraying in each port? You might also be able to get away with less alky then before do to better efficiency, or would the boost psi create to much turbulence therefore inhibiting efficiency? :confused:

I see many, many racecars running and alcohol system such as the Ron's Flying toilet. does it try to atomize the alky before the engine ingests it ?? Yes you would need 6 small holes and I'm sure that they would need to be directed toward each intake runner. You could probably end up running way more alky and far less fuel with a plate system therfore allowing for even higher boost on Alky, maybe 30+ psi with no problems

The toilet puts the nozzles on the runner as well. And they use a custom nozzle as well. I saw the product at PRI last December...

Will take some thought and R&D. Dont know if there will be any benefit unless extensive logging of things like individual cylinder EGT's is performed.

Clint

that design is pretty slick. What i would do is have the line plumb in under the coil pack and under the coil pack put in the solnoid to prevent engine vac from sucking in the alky when not in use.

The way to open the solonoid is to use a hot wired relay so when the controller turn the alky pump on it also switches a ground and activate the relay and that in turn will open the solonoid.

Not unless the controller can turn on/off a full 12 volts on it's own. It's my understanding that the controller varies the voltage to the pump to controll how much flow of alky comes out of the pump.

Now on the fuel distribution i think that having the spray bar on top of a RJC power plate with the spray nozzles spraying up and towards the throttle body into the air rushing in to help atomize the alky mist.

I also think that there will not be a need for 6 holes just do to the fact that we are not fully using 2.2 times for alky than gas. we are just supplementing this fuel on top of 93 octane.

i think that a duel line kit uses .060 jets so if you have 6 holes in the spray bar they are gonna have to be real tiny so you don't flood that cylinder.

i think that 4 .015 holes would be flow more than enuff alky for high boost applications.

I think it's a great idea... but I hafta ask...

Why overcomplicate an already proven, simple design ? :D

Razor's system works so well on my car, I'm afraid to screw with it. :D

Yep. I haven't even had a chance to mess with mine, but I agree. Unless you really want to try to hide it, why bother :D . I like having the stainless line on my car, it makes people think it's actually fast :D

I think it's a great idea... but I hafta ask...

Why overcomplicate an already proven, simple design ? :D

Razor's system works so well on my car, I'm afraid to screw with it. :D

I totally agree with you. However for me it was a matter of looks. Not the the Razor system looks bad at all because of the nice lines that are used. I think that it would give just a cleaner under hood look than the line plumbed in in the up-pipe. "IF" it was able to be used and offered and you has your choice between plumbing the I/C pipe or using a plate, what would you use ??

I think you will have a problem with atomization ... back in 86 when we had NOS on the car we tried the "six pack" set up ... 6 nozzles in the plenum ... ended up the one nozzle in the plenum tube worked better :cool:

Already been done.

OGS sold it for a while. I had one kicking around in the garage but I dont think I still have it.

Oh yea.. and you're gonna have a tough time clearing the IAC with the hose connector where it's at. We offsetted it and barrel drilled the plate and the stuff flows through the plate.

Surely someone has a picture of this thing.. he sold a few of them.

Already been done.

OGS sold it for a while. I had one kicking around in the garage but I dont think I still have it.

Oh yea.. and you're gonna have a tough time clearing the IAC with the hose connector where it's at. We offsetted it and barrel drilled the plate and the stuff flows through the plate.

What were the results?? Was it for an alky kit??

What were the results?? Was it for an alky kit??
It was for the propane kit but it worked with alky. Several people bought them and used them with alky kits.

Already been done.

It was a slick kit too. Probably some floating around somewhere