Upgrade to TA49

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
I'm sorry if this has been beat to death.

I will soon replace my stocker. The car is a daily driver and is essentially stock with free/cheap mods, stock converter, plus 009s etc. Since I've owned the car, the intention was to go with a TA49.

Lately I've noticed the new series of turbos available. Should I consider one of these new ones and why? Which one?

GNTTYPE says that a TE44 is comparable. I don't care that the turbo looks stock, but I would like to be sure the stock shield will fit.

Where are the best places to go to buy a the new turbo?

TIA,
Scott

IMHO, if you are looking for a no hassle install and not having to change anything except for the new oil drain gasket (comes with the new turbo) then I would suggest the TA-49. It is a good match for your 009 injectors and will spool decently with a stock converter. Not quite as fast as the stocker, but it's ok. You can re-use your actuator, and your MAF pipe/hose should slip right on to the new Billet inlet bell. There is some significant modificantions that will be required to the heat shield if you want to retain it on the dual ball bearing turbos. I am currently struggling with it myself on my own car.

Any of the TE series turbos will require a different wastegate actuator that has the correct bolt pattern bracket welded to it. In short, you will need a new actuator. The heat shield will work with all of the non ball bearing turbos that come with the dog eared bracket. This is the two prong bracket that your "question mark" or heat shield bracket attaches too.
The TA-49 is a very good turbo, it's tried and proven and can get you into the 11's with the proper bolt ons. Unless you were planning on changing your torque converter, then it's either a TA-49 or a TE-44 for the least amount of hassle and best priced units.

With regards to who to buy from, any of the supporting vendors on this site who are a PTE or Limit Engineering vendor can give you a good deal, however, one thing to remember is about the warranty.
If you buy a PTE turbo from another vendor, the warranty goes into the vendors name, not yours. Meaning if you ever have a problem with the turbo and need to send it in under warranty, you have to send the turbo back to the vendor, and it is the vendors responsibility to send it back to PTE for warranty claims. Otherwise, there could be some issues that come up. It is the vendors responsibility to handle any warranty claims with turbos. The way to avoid this, would be to buy the turbo direct from PTE. The warranty would be in your name. I'm not sure about Limit Engineerings warranty policy.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

Take a look at the Gt3255E. I'm in a very similar condition as you. Mostly stock with some bolt on's. Just purchased 009 injectors. Did some research and spoke with Mike at FullThrottleSpeed. This one is supposed to spool like crazy. My goal was not wanting to upgrade the converter. Mike said that he's had other customers complain about spoolup with the 44 or 49. Mostly a street car, a couple times a year, at most, at the track.

Only problem with the GT3255E is that the heat shield will not bolt up without modifications. But if that didn't bother anyone, I'd say yes, it is a very good turbo that was designed from the beginning to displace the TA-49 & TE-44 turbos.

So would a TA-49 spool up fast enough for a guy with a 2800 9" stall?

Or should I just go with the 6131 or is it a 6152??

Mods in sig.

Project TNX.
For what you have in your combo, a PT6131 (gt6131) would be better suited, not only with the converter you have, but also with the motor work you have done and the 60# Mototron injectors. Both the TA-49 and the PT6131 share the same turbine wheel, but the 61 compressor wheel used in the 6131 will significantly out flow a TA-49. A PT6152 would need more converter than 2800, it would have a little bit of lag.
HTH

Patrick

Project TNX.
For what you have in your combo, a PT6131 (gt6131) would be better suited, not only with the converter you have, but also with the motor work you have done and the 60# Mototron injectors. Both the TA-49 and the PT6131 share the same turbine wheel, but the 61 compressor wheel used in the 6131 will significantly out flow a TA-49. A PT6152 would need more converter than 2800, it would have a little bit of lag.
HTH

Patrick

You, you're good you!!
2004_08_deniro.jpg

Im considering swapping out a stocker for a TA-49 on my mostly stock car, but from what I read, it spools slower than the stocker? I guess the performance increase in the 49 makes up for this? Thanks for any info.

Im considering swapping out a stocker for a TA-49 on my mostly stock car, but from what I read, it spools slower than the stocker? I guess the performance increase in the 49 makes up for this? Thanks for any info.

I replaced my stocker with a TA-49 and really didn't notice much gain at all. But that's at stockish to 17lbs of boost. Once I get my alky hooked up and can crank it up into the mid 20's is where I'm sure the benefit will be seen :)

The TA-49 with a Garrett exhaust housing is a no-brainer turbo upgrade & with a free flowing exhaust & or 3" downpipe spools as well as a stock turbo with the D5 converter. If you want faster spool up you can run an RJC valve but i've found you don't really need it. At boost levels under 20 lbs there is not a huge differance in power over the stocker but if you like to run above 20 psi the power increase is very nice.

Thanks for the info, I have an older SMC kit on now, and will be looking to upgrade to a newer one. I was just surprised to read the 49 was slower to spool and wondered what the advantages were over a stock turbo.

Thanks for the info, I have an older SMC kit on now, and will be looking to upgrade to a newer one. I was just surprised to read the 49 was slower to spool and wondered what the advantages were over a stock turbo.

With Alky & around 22 lbs of boost you won't be disappointed. It makes for a sweet street / strip combo. ;)

Yeah, I guess my next upgrade should be Razors alky kit, I upgraded from the stock turbo to a PTE housing TA49 turbo but I keep the boost at a moderate level for pump gas. Sounds like the alky kit will really wake my combo up!!

Yeah, I guess my next upgrade should be Razors alky kit, I upgraded from the stock turbo to a PTE housing TA49 turbo but I keep the boost at a moderate level for pump gas. Sounds like the alky kit will really wake my combo up!!

You are missing out on a lot of HP running that turbo at pump gas boost levels. Get Razor's kit on there & tune it for 22 - 24 lbs & you will not believe the differance. :D

The 6131 is a great turbo and you will not be disappointed. The stock heat shield will also fit with this turbo. The inlet pipe and boot will fit as well.

That will be my next upgrade definitely!! It feels stronger now at this moderate boost level, maybe thats because the stocker was on its last leg.

ta 49

I have a 49 on my car with a vigilante 3000 converter and it spools way quicker than the stocker. I ran the stocker at 22psi it felt good. I run the 49 at 22psi it feels great. The 49 is a great turbo to run on the street or strip, it just depends on how fast you want to go.