Twin Turbo Garrett Grand National Demo Car

jawort0

I work with a fellow engineer who used to work at Detroit Diesel during the 1980's. He told me he used to be visited frequently by the Garrett salesman since Garrett provided turbochargers to DD and he was the turbo expert there. He told me the Garrett salesman had a twin turbo Grand National and rode in the car many times.

Has anyone heard of this car before? He said the car had a custom twin turbo setup with ceramic impellers. This is being recited after 20 some years and the engineer, while very knowledgeable, is not a Turbo Buick guy.

If anyone has heard of this car or know if it still exists, I would love to hear about it.

Cheers! Joe

I work with a fellow engineer who used to work at Detroit Diesel during the 1980's. He told me he used to be visited frequently by the Garrett salesman since Garrett provided turbochargers to DD and he was the turbo expert there. He told me the Garrett salesman had a twin turbo Grand National and rode in the car many times.

Has anyone heard of this car before? He said the car had a custom twin turbo setup with ceramic impellers. This is being recited after 20 some years and the engineer, while very knowledgeable, is not a Turbo Buick guy.

If anyone has heard of this car or know if it still exists, I would love to hear about it.

Cheers! Joe
Sounds like someones 20 year old wet dream. lol

my brother went to denver auto college in colorado... he said in their shop they had a special edition buick grand national twin turbo factory car... he called it the marlboro edition, but I checked around the internet and never found anything... my brother says they actually drove this car and let the advance tech classes tune and race it back in the 90's... I wonder if they are the same?

John:biggrin:

my brother went to denver auto college in colorado... he said in their shop they had a special edition buick grand national twin turbo factory car... he called it the marlboro edition, but I checked around the internet and never found anything... my brother says they actually drove this car and let the advance tech classes tune and race it back in the 90's... I wonder if they are the same?

Are you sure it wasn't this Marlboro Syclone #6 - FOR SALE - Contact Tom Argue @ 727-542-9628

Let me tell you about a real twin turbo GN I saw. It came factory with a V8, twin turbos, a 5 speed....it was one of one made, was a former FBI undercover agent's car, would outrun Lamborghinis, Corvettes, Boeing 747's...heck not even KITT couldn't keep up with it even in super pursuit mode. It was the fastest thing around, flip it over and it read "hot wheels" on the underside....use with imagination. :D

In all reality, what you were told was just another myth.

It could have been the pace car. The motor is in the "the Power Source" book.

The only "marlboro" car I know of was the Lola Formula chasis.

Here ya go....

Attachments

• poster_1.jpg
    poster_1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 8,633
The twin turbo part might be a myth, but there is no doubt in my mind that Garrett had a Grand National as a sales demo car due to their turbo being in the car.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers, Joe

The Riviera pictured above was delivered to dealerships as a demo car. Then it was used in the Indy 500. It was campaigned by Buick. I have no doubt this is the car you are speaking of as it was the only twin turbo car made.....other than the GNX FBI/CIA cars.:D

As far as Garret campaigning a car, it could have been anything as most turbocharged vehicles, including trucks, had Garret/Honeywell turbos.

GO DAN!!! I completely for got about that one. It's an 85 if I remember right, and if I'm not Dan will correct me. BTW Dan, you missed one heck of a feast. I can send you some of the bones if you want. lol

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

why/how did this not make it to production.
what year was this beast?
anytime you see the Olympic rings on a Buick or in a Buick ad, that means it is an 84 model. i believe they were the official car of the 84 Olympics in Los Angeles that year.

Do you have a better copy of the poster I would like to read the stat on the car but cant read them from that pic.

Wow thanks for posting that.....that engine must have costed a small fortune back then...Stage 2 block making 410 hp at 5700 and filled with forged internals...stock meth injection...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

why/how did this not make it to production.
what year was this beast?

Pre-1987, Buick did not fiddleFart around when it came to performance. Buick Motorsport had their heads in the right place when it came to power. The marketing end could have used a little help. Just ask George Thorogood.

Only two of those 60 cars had the TT motor.

ive read a ton about that pace car... i own a nascar book (history of the pacecar or something like that from WALDENS book store...), and it has all the pace cars ever made by buick and this one was one of the wildest!!! It is an 83, and it never made production for a few reasons... I remember them mentioning oil issues, and it would never pass emission standards as it was their formula engine... it was for race only...

The car my brother talks about IS a buick regal 100%, and he still swears up and down it is a factory twin turbo given to the school by some exec at buick... I have no clue unless i go out there myself!!!

Anyone here on this site near lakewood colorado???? lol