Twin Turbo Garrett Grand National Demo Car

I have twin turbos (stock) twin throttle bodies (stock, but modified) twin injectors per cylinder (80lb's and alcohol nozzles) per cylinder. I could have used two MAF's (by gutting one, cause reprogramming things woulda prooved pointless;)), but went MAFless instead. (MafTPro at first, then F.A.S.T. later)

THe real question is: Does it make more power with twins? NOPE. Is it different? Yes. I got tired of cookie-cutter Turbo Buicks and wanted something different. Yes it was ALOT of engineering and fabrication time, but I am happy with the results. Most folks that see it like it, some don't. Someguys own AMC's, too.;) It DOES make great power at 19.5 lbs of boost. (127mph in the 1/4) but it does suffer from lag. It has been sitting for a couple of years now waiting for "time"for my own stuff instead of other guys stuff. If I had to pay someone a fair wage to build what I have, 99% of folks couldn't afford it. At $75-$125/hr. fabrication time, I think you could have bought a Ferrari, instead.;)
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/192814-alcoholic-twins-turbos.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...buick-tech/221466-new-twin-turbo-headers.html

I have twin turbos (stock) twin throttle bodies (stock, but modified) twin injectors per cylinder (80lb's and alcohol nozzles) per cylinder. I could have used two MAF's (by gutting one, cause reprogramming things woulda prooved pointless;)), but went MAFless instead. (MafTPro at first, then F.A.S.T. later)

THe real question is: Does it make more power with twins? NOPE. Is it different? Yes. I got tired of cookie-cutter Turbo Buicks and wanted something different. Yes it was ALOT of engineering and fabrication time, but I am happy with the results. Most folks that see it like it, some don't. Someguys own AMC's, too.;) It DOES make great power at 19.5 lbs of boost. (127mph in the 1/4) but it does suffer from lag. It has been sitting for a couple of years now waiting for "time"for my own stuff instead of other guys stuff. If I had to pay someone a fair wage to build what I have, 99% of folks couldn't afford it. At $75-$125/hr. fabrication time, I think you could have bought a Ferrari, instead.;)
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/192814-alcoholic-twins-turbos.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...buick-tech/221466-new-twin-turbo-headers.html

Ken, you definitely get cool points! You appear to have done all that work for the right reason, because YOU wanted to! Who cares how fast is it, it looks like 200 MPH just sitting there, great job!

While I was driving south this afternoon; it dawned on me why I had such difficulty with the expense, nuisance, and complexity of running two turbochargers. Many of our Northern neighbors wouldn’t think twice about pitching an air conditioner compressor; but it’s something I can enjoy without forfeiting performance with a single turbo. Yes; Ken (turbofabricator) kept his; but Buick wasn’t able to on theirs; or didn’t even try.

I set out to build kits and sell them. I knew everyone wanted to keep the A/C. I also designed it to be a complete bolt-on deal. It took an imeasurable amount of time to think things through before I started cutting things up. (vodka helped with the thought process, too.;)) Seriously, I spent alot of time just staring at the engine bay and going through a bunch of parts I had laying around to try and make it look like GM did it. After awhile I gave in to using stainless steel. I was also trying to make it completely different and also didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something that may not work. I wanted to try a few things out along the way, too. I have always felt that the intake plenum is way too small for a turbo application. (though we make a TON of power now days with stock intakes) so I made up a large plenum. I set out to use two throttle bodies, too. I tried to use two stock dog houses, but trying to engineer the linkage between them was too time consuming. So, the box plenum and two throttle bodies is the result. I think I have about $25 in parts to make it. (but about three weeks tinkering) The intercooler is just two stock cores I welded togather. I figured that I can (and have) run 11.70 on a stock I/C. so two would allow me to run 22 second 1/4 miles. (two times 11=22, right??:confused:) I purchased a bunch of 321 stainless from a local aircraft surplus outlet. I paid $.50/lb for and it allowed for cheap stainless prototyping. I even had one pre-bend peice that fit almost perfect for the forward turbo to intercooler. Kinda nice to have unexpected help. Just cutting and fitting tubing is a VERY time consuming process. The 3" downpipe took 5 evenings after installing the modified ATR headers.
I had a few people interested in a kit, but most folks are big talkers. I have had guys PROMISE that the money is in the mail, only to find out they were typing the e-mail from their mothers basement.;) So, if you want twin turbos, break out the TIG welder, chop saw, angle grinder, ect., and have FUN. At least you can say you did it yourself. Or............ you can buy mine, and for the right price I'll throw in a TIG welder and chop saw so you can PROVE you built it yourself.

There is a car that was built here in the Detroit area buy a guy that worked for McClaren with a stage 2, block all factory parts and two GNX turbos. It even has custom emblems, and Recaro seats done in factory fabric. It would have been easy to mistake it for a factory done piece. Last I heard it was in AZ. that is where the guy he built it for lived. FYI the guy that built it is the guy that converted Warren Johnsons pro stock Cutlass into a regal at McClaren that became the famous Buddy Ingersoll car.
Mike