Turbo Regal Mechanic/Tuner Needed in Colorado

GNBYGM

Kurt
Hi guys, I've been on this site since '08 and never posted anything. I've done a lot of reading though and have always found great info and resources for these cars. I recently moved to Colorado and am in need of an experienced and trustworthy tuner or mechanic that knows our cars. I was a life long resident of IL - I like to say I escaped Illinois. ;) Anyway, I had a shop there put in a 42 lb. injector and chip kit from Eric at Turbo Tweak and then drove the car to CO a short time later. I averaged 14 mpg and my pipes were so loaded with soot and nasty stuff, it literally sprayed out and covered the garage the first time I started it up after the trip. It's running SO rich there's no way I'd have a prayer at passing emissions, which I unfortunately have to do in my area of the state. I had much more efficient performance with the old stock stuff and I know that shouldn't be the case. I've looked on this site and others and can't seem to find any current info on contacts in the Denver suburban area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm down in the springs and willing to help out. Do you have any SM numbers you can post? You still running the stock MAF?

Casper's moved from IL to CO too. Don't know if he works on cars though. I would contact John thru his website. So you went from snow to more snow?

I'm down in the springs and willing to help out. Do you have any SM numbers you can post? You still running the stock MAF?

Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm not running a scanmaster or anything. The car was totally stock when I bought it and I never really thought to look into getting one. I' ve heard about the advantages, but wouldn't know what I'm looking at anyway. I'm one of those, little bit of knowledge can get you into trouble guys, but at least I can admit it. LOL!

Casper's moved from IL to CO too. Don't know if he works on cars though. I would contact John thru his website. So you went from snow to more snow?

Thanks for the tip on Casper's. I'll look him up. I laughed at your snow comment. Everyone I knew said that when I told them I was moving to CO. Unbelievably, being just in the foothills here, the stuff we get is pretty minor and goes away in a day or two. The crap that falls in Chicago in November is just at the bottom of the dirty pile in February. Nasty stuff all winter and never seeing the sun was enough to get me out of there! Thanks again for the info.

I'd get one for sure... It's cheap and great to use when trying to travk down issues. I bet your TPS is out of wack or bad MAF. Both are easy fixes. We can hook mine up to your car to check? Let me know.

I'd get one for sure... It's cheap and great to use when trying to travk down issues. I bet your TPS is out of wack or bad MAF. Both are easy fixes. We can hook mine up to your car to check? Let me know.
Thanks for the offer for help. I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered a SM tool from Kirban today. When I get it hooked up (God willing) lol I'll shoot you some numbers to see what you think. This is the first real thing I've ever done with this car other than a radio swap! I never wanted it to be a hot rod, because I had a '67 Camaro all tweaked out since '90 or so. That was my stupid car and this was gonna be my "normal" car. Oh how naive I was! Anyway, I wanted to thank you a lot for your offer and will definitely take you up on it. After it's in I'll see if we can't align our schedules and get together. Thanks again and I"ll be in touch.

Hey I'm in the south Denver area if you need any help. These cars love to run rich at this altitude. Make sure you double check your fuel pressure. I also highly recommend getting a new maf and translator. Let me know if you need anything.

Hey I'm in the south Denver area if you need any help. These cars love to run rich at this altitude. Make sure you double check your fuel pressure. I also highly recommend getting a new maf and translator. Let me know if you need anything.
Thanks a lot. I should be getting my SM on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to seeing what it says.

5280Gn is a good guy. If you need anything down south im in Pueblo.

Well, I got the SM this afternoon and hooked it up tonight. I went for a little spin and the beast is running crappy. It was never a screamer, but it's not really pulling like it used to at WOT and felt like it didn't want to ever shift out of second. Anyway, I am most concerned about how my garage fills with black ash/soot when starting it up cold. Here are my numbers at idle after a 20 minute drive.

640 0.0
AF 04
L8 31
bat 13.5
Int 125
bl 131
clt 182
at5 106
rpm 825
tps .42
iac 37
cc - fluctuates from 14-243 then starts over
there are also no mal codes

Any ideas, guys? Just looking at the values on the SM paperwork, everything seemed ok - unless I'm missing something. Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm glad to finally have a SM, although I was kind of hoping it would tell me about an obvious problem! LOL Also FWIW, in case I didn't mention it, my car is all stock, expect for a TT street chip for pump gas and his 42 lb. injectors. I only switched to those in hopes of a little better idle and newer technology. It seems that it ran more "normal" with the old stuff in it. Thanks in advance for an ideas!

Yea your numbers look normal. I would check fuel pressure and the maf. Probably something I would have to look at.

I'm in Aurora - work downtown.

I escaped from Illinois in 1982.

I do the tunning and small stuff on my car - I also have a GN specific mechanic for the big stuff.

I could show you mine - take a look at yours.

I'm in Aurora - work downtown.

I escaped from Illinois in 1982.

I do the tunning and small stuff on my car - I also have a GN specific mechanic for the big stuff.

I could show you mine - take a look at yours.
Hi, Lance. I'm Kurt. That sounds great. After my last post, I noticed a very heavy smell of gas in the oil. I had no desire to mess with the fuel rail and all that BS and a neighbor of mine referred me to Seyfer Automotive in Wheat Ridge. They are a pretty cool shop. They do some custom stuff and work on old cars all the time. Anyway, I had a leaky fuel injector and it was causing all the BS. SM numbers look great and I had them put the old stuff back in (injectors and chip)and change the oil and filter. On the way home I blew the IC to turbo hose off. WTF! I hope the excitement is over for a while! LOL It's running great now and I'm ready to go get sniffed for the cause. I was gonna go today, but with the nasty weather - I stayed home. Thanks for your message and if we get some decent weather before the snow flies, maybe we can get together. Nice to meet you.

Good luck with emissions, I failed so many times thought they would throw me in prison.

My formula is:
Install the catalytic convertor
Turbo tweak Emissions Chip for 60's
Dial back the boost as far as possible
Fuel Pressure at 35-38
93 octane
Car warmed up - north of 180 if possible, 200 even better
Pray...

Good Luck

Good luck with emissions, I failed so many times thought they would throw me in prison.

My formula is:
Install the catalytic convertor
Turbo tweak Emissions Chip for 60's
Dial back the boost as far as possible
Fuel Pressure at 35-38
93 octane
Car warmed up - north of 180 if possible, 200 even better
Pray...

Good Luck
Oh boy, that's really encouraging! LMAO I guess we'll see. I'll take your advice and keep 'em crossed. I've got all the stock stuff back in it now with a fresh cat (maybe 1100 miles). Finding 93 around here is a real pain in the butt, too. I see a whole of 91, but never see 93. I ordered an emissions chip from TurboTweak as insurance. I hope I don't need it, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll take it for a long cruise the next decent day and go for it. Geeez, it feels like school. I always hated tests. I'll let you know if I get a gold star or a red F! Take care.

Well, the praying and most of your formula got me passed! I used 91, with some octane boost. I went for a nice ride and the SM showed me a coolant temp of 195 as I was pulling into the testing station. They ran it through twice, but it passed. It was fun talking to people about the car. I had four people approach me with a compliment or question. Of course, I had the one guy say that he "loved my Cutlass"! LOL He might not know cars, but at least he has good taste - right?

Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it.

I'm going to be in trouble if emissions ever come south. Glad you passed now enjoy.