Turbo piston carnage

Nope. How can you prove it? Hopefully, the campaign will take care of it. Phil.
The campaign will likely turn it into a turd with the re-flash. Timing will be pulled back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. How can you prove it? Hopefully, the campaign will take care of it. Phil.
http://www.zeltex.com/products/fuel/zx-101xl/

These are $1600. Take a sample of fuel from the tank and wait 30 seconds. Even if GM required each dealer to buy just one, be a hell of a lot cheaper than paying out warranty claims.

Says right on the gas door use premium fuel. Tested fuel is 87? Tough shit.

I realize it wouldn't be the best idea for consumer relations so like Bison said, it's easier to pull timing and drop power so people can be idiots and save $6 per fillup

So . . .
If warranty is denied for not using +91 . . . . Wonder what one would do if you paid and pumped +91, but got shafted and received 87. lol. It happens more often than people realize.

You'd think the latest generation of PCM's would be able to account for the difference in octane without user intervention.

You'd think the latest generation of PCM's would be able to account for the difference in octane without user intervention.
Exactly. Calibration engineer screwed the pooch on the low octane timing tables and slew.

Yeah this is really surprising to me. The Ecoboost factory tune compensates well for 87. Not sure why GM can't pull that off. That being said I would never run 87 in any turbo car, including my EB's, but that is just me. Actually I can't now because my custom tunes are all for 91.
When my wife and I test drove our 2013 EB F150, we were happy with the power of it. We took delivery of it the next day, and not long after we got it we noticed that it was falling on its face compared to the test drive. The gas tank was almost empty when we test drove it and when we took delivery it was full. I quickly realized the dealer put 87 in it. We ran that tank out and switched to 91. After awhile it was back to the way it was when we test drove it. Within a couple weeks I had a tune, logged it, got it dialed in with the tuner after a few revisions, and never looked back.

Premium fuel recommended and premium fuel required are vastly different. I'm amazed that someone would buy a car where premium fuel was recommended and use anything but. Some dick beater trying to save $300 a year when they are likely paying thousands in interest and losing value as depreciation faster than anything. Usually the timing is trimmed so far back the performance drops off noticeably on the premium recommended cars. The Pistons and rings of today don't tolerate much detonation. The 86-87 LC2 is premium recommended but will run on 87 octane stock. 13-14psi and probably at a constant 3-4 degrees of knock retard. People.....

Why do you say dick beater like it's a bad thing?

How many miles on these motors? Maybe the rings haven't seated yet and the motor's eating oil causing detonation?

Steve has one, its about as fast as his G8 was with headers after we tuned it. picked up almost 50HP. Have not done the downpipe yet and the intercooler is almost done.. Better call Diamond LOL

Are most of these confirmed to be with the stock tune? I know the Subaru 2.5 turbo motors are notorious for breaking off ringlands with bad tunes because they are very thin. I wonder if a good portion of these are happening from detonation caused by poor canned tunes too?

Also, has GM finally come onboard with using WBo2 sensors and having CL WOT like Ford? That is one thing I LOVE about the Fords, especially the EB platform.

Definitely stock. These pistons look like hypers. Some of the thinnest lands I've ever seen, real low tension rings too. Phil.

Definitely stock. These pistons look like hypers. Some of the thinnest lands I've ever seen, real low tension rings too. Phil.
What is the piston to wall?

What is the piston to wall?

Not sure, Brian. I can check on the next one that comes in. Pistons are coated on the skirts, wear looks good. Bulletin says as long as cross hatch can be seen thru the wear, block is ok to use. This one actually had the plugs and recalibration done about two thousand miles ago. Phil.

Plugs won't matter. Idk they would want those changed.

From what I've read on this, they are determining detonation to be the cause of this and are pulling timing / installing 1 step colder plugs to remedy the situation. I've also seen comments from those that log their cars that boost at WOT has dropped from 16psi to 14psi after reflash.

Wife's regal GS has the LTG which I believe is the same engine?? I did a search for a campaign regarding this on the Buick and couldn't find anything. Manual suggests 91 but 87 can be substituted although 'slight pinging might be heard'. We run the best we can. Btw, on moderate accel, stock tune shows 18 on my monitor. I've been considering the trifecta tune and / or meth to combat carbon but now I don't know what to think. We rarely see high ambient temps up here in Alberta ( 90 ish tops) so I would think that would be somewhat more forgiving??