Turbo piston carnage

pdzz

fixing something
Not a turbo Regal. This is GM's new 2.0 turbo in the ATS. Keep in mind, these are supposed to be running premium fuel...This is the third one I've done at our little dealer. Phil.

Attachments

• 1423079192324.jpg
    1423079192324.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 423
  • 1423079217536.jpg
    1423079217536.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 380
  • 1423079254471.jpg
    1423079254471.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 395
New calibration, new cooler range plugs, new pistons and rings. I believe the cause is detonation, at least that is what GM is telling us in the bulletin.

The dealer told me and if you look it up on there website. they say 87octane. Just had the plugs done.

Not on my 2013. Just looked. I was shocked When they told me that. So I looked it up. Showed 87. I had a trail blazer ss that we always put premium in. I had a wrx premium only. I even asked the sales manager. Do you see allot of them for rough idle at stop without a/c on.

We've had one up here as well. Had aftermarket tune on it, downpipe. They overlooked that and warrantied it. First it got pistons then the owner traded it, new owner came in complaining about idle? and whola new engine.

Not on my 2013. Just looked. I was shocked When they told me that. So I looked it up. Showed 87. I had a trail blazer ss that we always put premium in. I had a wrx premium only. I even asked the sales manager. Do you see allot of them for rough idle at stop without a/c on.
No complaints on the rough idle. Think there is a TSB on cold rough idle. Another note, all the ones I've seen are oil burners, no misfire codes, three to four quarts in a thousand miles. They also look like hyper pistons, real thin ring lands. Phil.

Premium fuel recommended and premium fuel required are vastly different. I'm amazed that someone would buy a car where premium fuel was recommended and use anything but. Some dick beater trying to save $300 a year when they are likely paying thousands in interest and losing value as depreciation faster than anything. Usually the timing is trimmed so far back the performance drops off noticeably on the premium recommended cars. The Pistons and rings of today don't tolerate much detonation. The 86-87 LC2 is premium recommended but will run on 87 octane stock. 13-14psi and probably at a constant 3-4 degrees of knock retard. People.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 on the fuel door.

Attachments

• 1423265919185.jpg
    1423265919185.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 221
Housewives don't care. Gas is gas. 87 is cheapest so in it goes.

In the late 80's my wife took my 86 GN and put gas in it . I found out later while accelerating up an on-ramp to the expressway my car fell on its face & stumbled . It hit me right away ....... She put in regular gas not premium . I went straight to an auto parts store and bought octane booster , problem solved , and I told her PREMIUM ONLY !! A Scanmaster would have been helpful back then !!

My buddy's wife runs 87 in her ecoboost explorer. It's been fine

The Ecoboost engines seem to handle 87 well. I use 87 in my Ecoboost F150 but only when I'm not going to be towing. I have towed unplanned with 87 and it did well but if I can I'll put 93 in for real truck work. I haven't taken it down the track yet but that won't happen on 87 either.

My buddy's wife runs 87 in her ecoboost explorer. It's been fine
The ecoboost you can run 87 on but I believe they say 91-93 for the best performance. Different than saying premium required.

Pdzz, are warranty claims being denied if they ran 87? They should be...

The ecoboost you can run 87 on but I believe they say 91-93 for the best performance. Different than saying premium required.

Pdzz, are warranty claims being denied if they ran 87? They should be...
Nope. How can you prove it? Hopefully, the campaign will take care of it. Phil.

The Ecoboost engines seem to handle 87 well. I use 87 in my Ecoboost F150 but only when I'm not going to be towing. I have towed unplanned with 87 and it did well but if I can I'll put 93 in for real truck work. I haven't taken it down the track yet but that won't happen on 87 either.
I run 87 in my ecoboost virtually all the time, it performs perfectly fine. Even run it at the track at the last TB dot com Nat's in Burlington. Ran unbelievably consistent 9.2's, and I was able to take out both ecoboost F150s that day. And my 5100# ecoboost Lincoln is no light weight.
87 is just fine in the twin turbo ecoboost motors. Higher octanes are neither required nor recommended, although they do say that better performance could be achieved with higher octanes.

Last edited: