Turbo comparison question

Turbo6Smackdown

I have a few questions about turbos. First off, I keep seeing people write the older turbos like this: TA60-1. What does that mean? Is that different than a TA61? If it is, and you're speaking to someone about it, and there's nothing preventing the person from saying "TA60-1 or TA61" in a sentence, could you get the wrong turbo unless you specifically say TA sixty dash one?

And what's the difference between the old TA61 and this turbo here http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/itemdesc.asp+ic+628105-5858+eq++Tp+

Are there any advantages in the newer style sold by Fullthrottle?

The names are made up and TA usually refers to a stock compressor cover re contoured for larger wheel. All are commonly misrepresented. One number is not enough to describe a turbo. A 60-1 compressor could be had with several different turbines. All of them began are garrett wheels in the 90's. The turbo in the link is a precision product and has proven to be good to 55-57lbs/min though you will probably not see that mass flow on one of these engines because most will use larger wheels to get there

BPE2013@hotmail.com

From your experience, would this beat out the old TA61s?
I don't know for sure. I would never run any of those wheels in a stock compressor cover because the cover will limit the wheels potential. Those old cast wheel 60-1 turbos with larger than a stage 3 turbine will all run well into the 10's with heads and intercooler. I've gone 10.61 with a 60-1. It's definitely got low 10's in it with the right combo.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I see... :) Going to send you my turbo this winter for inspection. We'll see what's up then. Thank you soo much for your help.