TURBO AND IDLE PROBLEM

PATINO

HI GUYS I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST TURBO REGAL AND WELL WHAT I GOT WAS A 86 REGAL THAT HAS AN 85 GRAND NATIONAL MOTOR IN IT THAT HAS AN INTERCOOLER...I NEED SOME HELP MAYBE YOU GUYS CAN HELP...THE CAR RUNS AWESOME N IS FAST AS SHIT LOL BUT IT IDLES REALLY HIGH LIKE ITS REVING ITSELF ESPECIALLY AFTER IVE BEEN DRIVING N PUT IT IN PARK WHAT COULD IT BE?...ALSO MY TURBO BOOST THING DISPLAYS REALLY HIGH EVEN WHEN IM PARK N WHILE IM DRIVING N I STOP AT A REDLIGHT ITLL GO UP MAKING ME PRESS REALLY HARD ON THE BRAKE FOR ME TO STAY THERE....SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

First off... There is no need in yelling. JK. Welcome to the turbo Buick world.

Do you have a scanmaster? You should get one ASAP! We would be able to help you out a lot more and you will be able to learn how to tell what the engine is telling you. There are a few things it could be but a little more info would help us help you. Does the car idle high all the time? Is the high idle the only issue?

Now as far as the led boost gauge..... They are junk so get a aftermarket gauge. Don't trust the factory tach or boost gauge.

LOL SORRY I ALWAYS HAVE MY CAPSLOCK THING ON...THANKS FOR WRITING

WELL NO I DONT HAVE A SCANMASTER I JUST GOT THE CAR LIKE 3 DAYS AGO...DO YOU HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO WHERE I CAN GET ONE? ....WELL YEA IT KINDA IDLES HIGH WHEN I TURN IT ON AT ABOUT 30 BUT IT GOES REALY HIGH TILL IT MARKS RED WHEN I PRESS ON THE GAS A LIL BIT ITLL STAY REVED UP LIKE THAT UNTIL I REV IT HARD N THEN ITLL GO DOWN TO LIKE 30 IT DRIVES FINE BUT WHEN I LET OFF THE BRAKE AFTER STOPPING ITLL SHOW ITS REVING REALLY HIGH BUT IM BARELY MOVING ...THANKS FOR ANY INFO

Gbodyparts will have scanmasters on sale at the gs nationals in bowling green, Kentucky this weekend. Or you could always go to gbodyparts.com and order one. There are several other vendors on here that sell them. Just scroll down to supporting vendors and check out their sites.

WELCOME PILGRIM!!!
Stop yelling, we only use that tone when needed. There's a lot of old people w/sensitive ears on here.
The problem could be a dirty iac, you can go to gnttype.org and do the "spring cleaning" and vortexbuicks-etc.com and they will help you understand your car better while teaching you good maintenance practices. If you have any questions, just ask, there are plenty of knowledgeable people willing to help.
Again Welcome!

Thanks everyone for the valuable info tomorrow I will check out the car n get a scanmaster ASAP ill let u guys know how it goes

Spring cleaning is a must on a newly obtained TR. A few things that i have seen cause this condition are vaccum leaks, tps sensor (throttle position) set high and bent throttle blade (back fire caused it).

Good luck,
Mike

Just an FYI to anyone else having this problem. PATINO brought the car to me and I discovered the throttle arm was loose on the throttle pivot shaft.
This meant the arm was going back to it's stop but throttle plate could hang open.
I tightened the nut and using my scan master, I was able to get the TPS and IAC close to where they should be but not perfect.
But the car seems to be much better now.
That nut may loosen again so if it does, I may have to put a couple spots on weld to keep things tight.
So if anyone else has similar symptoms, check to see if you have any play between the throttle arm and the pivot shaft it is connected to.